Members in the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX or Augusta, GA areas

This is a discussion on Members in the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX or Augusta, GA areas within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey all. Here in just a couple weeks, my family and I will be moving from Georgia to the Dallas, TX area. But there's just ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree14Likes

Thread: Members in the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX or Augusta, GA areas

Members in the Dallas/Fort Worth, TX or Augusta, GA areas

Hey all. Here in just a couple weeks, my family and I will be moving from Georgia to the Dallas, TX area. But there's just one problem - our dogs. After much searching, we were unable to find a home that we could move into and still keep our dogs. It came down to either being homeless with dogs, or have a home for our children and find a new home for the dogs. It is not at all what I would like, but sometimes life is that way.

If there are any members that would be willing to take our pups, we would be ever so grateful. Rocky is a German Shepherd mix, about 2 years old and somewhere around 70-ish pounds. Tucker is a fat little pug/daschund mix and about 2 1/2 years old. They are best of friends and we would like to keep them together.

We'll be moving at the end of this month. If any of the forum members in either the August GA or DFW TX areas could take them, we would be forever in your debt.

We are also, if anybody else is, willing to make this work out with someone in the DFW area on a fostering basis. If you could provide them a home, we'd happily pay for their food, any vet bills, flea and heart worm meds, etc.

Thank you in advance!
    gatorbait51 and Jeanlouise like this.
    "Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet."
    -General James Mattis, USMC

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    I've had to bequeath animals to other folks three times (two cats, one dog). It is such a hard thing to do when they are almost like your own kids, but sometimes we have no choice. I was incredibly fortunate to find loving homes for all 3 animals which makes the parting so much easier to bear.

I hope someone in either of your areas will step forward and give your little buddies a loving home!
    Jeanlouise and gatorbait51 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

I sure hope you get some "takers". That is very honorable of you, and I like keeping them together.
    Jeanlouise and gatorbait51 like this.

Thanks ShooterGranny and Rock and Glock. I appreciate your good-wishes.

I forgot to say that if it was arranged with someone in the DFW area to house them while we continued to pay for their expenses, that we would love to take them back after finding somewhere without the restrictions. We'll be renting for a while, but with plans to purchase later on.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

We have three dogs of our own so we can't take them but I would if I could.

I'll ask around and let you know if I find anyone who is interested.

Where in the DFW area are you moving to?
    gatorbait51 and Jeanlouise like this.
    Regards,
    1MoreGoodGuy
    NRA Life Member
    GOA Life Member

Behave Like Someone Who is Determined to be FREE!

Quote Originally Posted by 1MoreGoodGuy View Post
    We have three dogs of our own so we can't take them but I would if I could.

I'll ask around and let you know if I find anyone who is interested.

Where in the DFW area are you moving to?
    PM on the way. I don't disclose too much online if I can help it.

VIP Member
    I hope you can find someone! I know it's hard to find a place that takes pets. Good luck!
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    i have 2 acres and the wife wants a Shepherd. i'll take em and give em a good home, but i'm pretty far off your path. If no one else bites and your interested i *might* be able to make it so the colo/okla border to meet you. best i can do. good luck.

EDIT- I, for one, don't need pics, i'm guessing one looks like German Shepherd mix and the other looks like a fat little pug/dahcsund mix, got it! my elkhound passed away (at 13 yrs) from cancer about 4 months ago, and the wife has been driving me crazy to get a shepherd or a pit bull, and i keep not wanitng to invest the emotion ahgain, but two 2 year old dogs sound about perfect for my two yr old babies, how do they do with kids?

i also hunt/camp/outdoorsie stuff alot, how does the shepherd do off a leash out in wild?
    Last edited by DingBat; January 16th, 2014 at 05:45 PM.
    Jeanlouise and 1MoreGoodGuy like this.

PP21, first ... Welcome to Texas. Next, maybe post some pics to gab someone's heart. I like the foster idea. Definitely bring the dogs with you to keep the fam together, don't leave them behind.

I adopted a year old mix 4 years ago from a " no kill" shelter in Carrollton, TX, she was in a foster home associated with this shelter until we "took delivery". Their website link below.

Im guessing they have a network of canine foster homes, you might contact them to see what foster solutions they may have.

www.operationkindness.org
    Asked by a CNN reporter "What do you feel when you shoot a terrorist"?, the Marine sniper simply shrugged & replied "recoil".

Now more than ever, we are at war on our home soil ... WAKE UP & arm our troops when they are on home soil!

...I'm just saying'...
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

TVJ
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    Thanks ShooterGranny and Rock and Glock. I appreciate your good-wishes.

I forgot to say that if it was arranged with someone in the DFW area to house them while we continued to pay for their expenses, that we would love to take them back after finding somewhere without the restrictions. We'll be renting for a while, but with plans to purchase later on.
    Pittypat,

Try here for the Shep and/or suggestions for both.

German Shepherd Rescue of Central Texas - Home
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men in a society, over the course of time they create for themselves a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that glorifies it."
    - Frederic Bastiat

Okay, Okay! Here are some pics of the two. It took me a while to get anything of Rocky. The dog doesn't like to sit still around a camera. Sorry the pics are a little blurry.

2014-01-16 18.01.19.jpg2014-01-16 18.01.26.jpg2014-01-16 18.03.18.jpg2014-01-16 18.01.36.jpg2014-01-16 18.03.12.jpg2014-01-16 18.03.05.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Kavalander View Post
    i have 2 acres and the wife wants a Shepherd. i'll take em and give em a good home, but i'm pretty far off your path. If no one else bites and your interested i *might* be able to make it so the colo/okla border to meet you. best i can do. good luck.

EDIT- I, for one, don't need pics, i'm guessing one looks like German Shepherd mix and the other looks like a fat little pug/dahcsund mix, got it! my elkhound passed away (at 13 yrs) from cancer about 4 months ago, and the wife has been driving me crazy to get a shepherd or a pit bull, and i keep not wanitng to invest the emotion ahgain, but two 2 year old dogs sound about perfect for my two yr old babies, how do they do with kids?

i also hunt/camp/outdoorsie stuff alot, how does the shepherd do off a leash out in wild?
    I appreciate the offer, though that might have to be a very last resort. 8 hours is a long way to drive to drop off a couple pups.

But to answer your questions, they do great with kids. We have three right now, the older is 3 1/2 years and the youngest is 8 months. Neither of them have so much as growled at the kids let alone anything else.

Rocky (the shepherd mix) does great off a leash out in the woods from the few times we've been out. Warning though - if you leave him alone in the yard where he can get out and wander around town, he won't listen. There's too many interesting things in the neighborhood. But out in the wild, from my experience, he comes when he's called. He doesn't have extensive time with that, though, so it might take a little working with.

Neither of them are trained to do anything fantastic other than to sit when they want a treat. As long as they do their business outside and stay off my couch, we're all happy. So if you want a dog that will roll over, shake your hand, get you a beer from the fridge, etc., then look elsewhere.

Rocky is territorial, but not dangerously so. He doesn't bite. He stays put and growls/barks. He's also smart enough to know when you're OK with a visitor. He'll pick up on that and be OK with the visitor, too. Tucker will run up to people and yap. Typical ankle biter little dog syndrome.

If you want a dog that will alert you to somebody too close to the house, Rocky will do a good job there. But don't expect anything beyond alerting.

Tucker is more or less leash trained. Rocky not so much. We had Tucker back when we lived in an apartment (before we had Rocky) and so we had to have him on a leash any time he needed to "go". Rocky we've had since we've been at the house here in GA, and our yard is big enough that that's where they get their exercise.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pittypat21 View Post
    I appreciate the offer, though that might have to be a very last resort. 8 hours is a long way to drive to drop off a couple pups.

But to answer your questions, they do great with kids. We have three right now, the older is 3 1/2 years and the youngest is 8 months. Neither of them have so much as growled at the kids let alone anything else.

Rocky (the shepherd mix) does great off a leash out in the woods from the few times we've been out. Warning though - if you leave him alone in the yard where he can get out and wander around town, he won't listen. There's too many interesting things in the neighborhood. But out in the wild, from my experience, he comes when he's called. He doesn't have extensive time with that, though, so it might take a little working with.

Neither of them are trained to do anything fantastic other than to sit when they want a treat. As long as they do their business outside and stay off my couch, we're all happy. So if you want a dog that will roll over, shake your hand, get you a beer from the fridge, etc., then look elsewhere.

Rocky is territorial, but not dangerously so. He doesn't bite. He stays put and growls/barks. He's also smart enough to know when you're OK with a visitor. He'll pick up on that and be OK with the visitor, too. Tucker will run up to people and yap. Typical ankle biter little dog syndrome.

If you want a dog that will alert you to somebody too close to the house, Rocky will do a good job there. But don't expect anything beyond alerting.

Tucker is more or less leash trained. Rocky not so much. We had Tucker back when we lived in an apartment (before we had Rocky) and so we had to have him on a leash any time he needed to "go". Rocky we've had since we've been at the house here in GA, and our yard is big enough that that's where they get their exercise.
    sounds about like every dog i've had. i'm good at trainging dogs to be woods dogs so not worried aobut that. our 2 acres is fenced, so should be good there, and i don't make my dogs be outside dogs so they get a nice warm house at night. glad to hear about the kids. my twin boys need good pups.

totally understand the distance thing, even htting the southern border would be tough, but if it comes to it let me know and i'll help you work something out, hck, all i have to say to my wife is "shepherd" and she'll MAKE it happen. haha.

so let me know if you run out of options, otherwise, good luck !!

VIP Member
    Nice looking dogs! I have to admit, the pug/daschund mix is much cuter than I imagined. I was picturing a Pug face on a Daschund body.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links