Any Masons/Shriners here?

This is a discussion on Any Masons/Shriners here? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; NOTE: This section of the forum seemed more appropriate for this post than the off topic/humor section, but if it's in the wrong place I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree29Likes

Thread: Any Masons/Shriners here?

Any Masons/Shriners here?

NOTE: This section of the forum seemed more appropriate for this post than the off topic/humor section, but if it's in the wrong place I would be grateful if a mod would help correct it.

I've been considering joining the local Lodge and was wondering if anybody here is/was a Mason/Shriner and is willing to share their impression(s) of the experience. I have spoken to a couple of the members and am in the process of submitting a petition, but am attempting to learn as much as possible before joining.

I feel that the stated values of Freemasonry agree with the way I try to live my life and would like to be around others who do their best to be the same, though my main goal is to be able to join the Shriners - I spent some time as a patient in a burn unit and met some of the children there...and that shook me hard. Anybody who helps support hospitals treating child burn victims is somebody I would be proud to call "brother". I am aware of the varying sectarian objections to Freemasonry and am not concerned about them as they do not apply to my own beliefs. Otherwise, any input is appreciated.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    My father was very proud to be a life long Shriner and support their children's hospitals. He was also a musician, so he got to play in the Shrine band, which included playing for the circus every year. My mother belonged to the women's White Shrine also.

I know that both the Masonic order and The Shrine need younger members because, like many organizations, their membership is aging and they are shrinking due to people passing away.

If the masonic code fits you and if you can afford to go through all of the degrees, I wish you happiness and good fortune!
    Greghan, Jeanlouise and Old Sarge like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

My Dad is a Mason, Grandpa, and have quite a few friends that are as well. They all enjoy it especially my father. He's an A certified lecturer and is always involved in all the fundraisers they do.
    Last edited by Czombie; February 7th, 2014 at 12:11 AM.

I think Shriner's Hospitals are wonderful and give healthcare to so many children who otherwise couldn't afford it. I've had a few patients have orthopedic surgery at one and their parents gave glowing praise to the entire hospital: the facilities, the staff, the doctors and nurses.

I am a mason and Shriner! Both wonderful to be a part of. There is really not a lot you can learn before just doing it. I've been a mason for 12 years and Shriner for 11. Personally I think everyone becoming a Shriner should have to tour a Shriner hospital. It is the most humbling experience, and the kids are great! You say Shriner is your ultimate goal, I'll venture a guess you'll love the lodge just as much!

I am also a Shriner and Mason... Also, received my 33rd. Love the organization.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Greghan and StormRhydr like this.

I always wanted to become a Mason, but never did. Too bad, really.

As we were driving my son to Jacksonville to drop him off with the Navy (!) this past Saturday, I saw a "NAVY" sticker on an SUV and pointed it out to my son. When we got closer I noticed it said NAVY, but the "A" was the Mason's compass. Wasn't sure what that was about but it intrigued me. Told my son he should look into it when he gets through with training and is out on his own, so to speak.

Quote Originally Posted by Quepsiphismk View Post
    I am also a Shriner and Mason... Also, received my 33rd. Love the organization.

Sent from my Transformer TF101 using Tapatalk
    Congratulations on your 33 degree. I've been wanting to do that!

VIP Member
    They can't tell you, it's a secret.
    Taurahe likes this.
    "A first rate man with a third rate gun is far better than the other way around". The gun is a tool, you are the craftsman that makes it work. There are those who say "if I had to do it, I could" yet they never go out and train to do it. Don't let stupid be your mindset. Harryball 2013

Quote Originally Posted by tacman605 View Post
    they can't tell you, it's a secret.
    "to be one, ask one".
    Greghan likes this.

I have a friend who is a Mason (coming up through their ranks) When he has an Old testament question, he seems to seek my advice (I'm Jewish, but by far no expert on the old testament) I keep telling him he probably knows more about my religion, than i do.
    If you can, always carry, you can't choose the moments, they choose you. - Colion Noir (2013)

VIP Member

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by RadarContact View Post
    I always wanted to become a Mason, but never did. Too bad, really.

As we were driving my son to Jacksonville to drop him off with the Navy (!) this past Saturday, I saw a "NAVY" sticker on an SUV and pointed it out to my son. When we got closer I noticed it said NAVY, but the "A" was the Mason's compass. Wasn't sure what that was about but it intrigued me. Told my son he should look into it when he gets through with training and is out on his own, so to speak.

Anyway North Carolina AF and AM here. Never went further then the blue lodge. It's enough to keep me busy in lodge degree work. My memory fails me at times too.
    Greghan and RadarContact like this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

I did my first degree, then went off to law school. That was some time ago. I think Im soon to start up again.

Father 32 degree, blue lodge, S.R. Uncle, Shriner, 33rd degree. Cousin...not sure where hes at, now.
    LynnL likes this.

VIP Member
    It's good to do the first three degrees close together while ur mind is in memory mode. It will come back to you once you start back in the memory work in advancing thru to the third. Once you return ur third degree before the lodge you can then start sitting in the chairs to advance to wear the hat one day.

Btw you can check with the lodge where you took ur 1st degree and see if you can start back. They should welcome you back with open arms if you left under good intentions.
    StormRhydr and Greghan like this.
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

VIP Member
    I went to talk with the head guy (don't remember his title) and he ask me why i wanted to join i told him " i wanted to help kids and give back to the community " he said flat out he hates kids and his group does nothing for kids . This guy was such a creep i almost felt like dropping a dime on him to the main headquarters.

He turned me completely off to the org. (Masons)
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links