Any Tennis Elbow victims?

This is a discussion on Any Tennis Elbow victims? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I went to my chiropractor this week and told him my elbow was bothering me and it was difficult to shoot... he is a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree4Likes

Thread: Any Tennis Elbow victims?

Any Tennis Elbow victims?

So I went to my chiropractor this week and told him my elbow was bothering me and it was difficult to shoot... he is a firearms enthusiast as well.... I described my symtoms and he said the tennis elbow demons had got me.... Presenting a firearm bigger than my shield is painful and difficult and its not fun.. my dry fire, holster clear and draw, and other at home practices have suffered considerably. He recommended a counterforce brace which I just picked up to try for a few weeks. I dont have problems gripping things, just in the movements used in firearms training. He wants me to give it a month but if it doesnt get any better he wants me to see an ortho doc.

Has any one else had these problems? What have you done to help it? any other suggestions ? Yes, I am stretching three times a day also.
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Your points are shallow... my points are Hollow....

2. Remove Ads

I have had issues with this as well. Normally I just push thru the pain, but like you sought out a professional opinion. I wore the brace for about three months and it went away. That was about 3 years ago. Now, it is starting to act up again, so its back to the brace. With the brace on I feel great, with it off, the pain starts. I use hot rocks on it to stop the swelling. Hope some of that helps.....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    On the plus side, the surgery to fix it is fairly simple and doesn't take that long to recover from. Yeah probably not what you wanted to hear but knowing it can be fixed should make you feel somewhat better.
    Taurahe and ctr like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Harryball View Post
    I have had issues with this as well. Normally I just push thru the pain, but like you sought out a professional opinion. I wore the brace for about three months and it went away. That was about 3 years ago. Now, it is starting to act up again, so its back to the brace. With the brace on I feel great, with it off, the pain starts. I use hot rocks on it to stop the swelling. Hope some of that helps.....
    Please elaborate on the hot rocks.. I am very intrigued !!!
    ”God grants Liberty only to those who love it, and are always ready to guard and defend it.”
    ~Daniel Webster

Quote Originally Posted by OutWestSystems View Post
    On the plus side, the surgery to fix it is fairly simple and doesn't take that long to recover from. Yeah probably not what you wanted to hear but knowing it can be fixed should make you feel somewhat better.

Surgery is a no go.... I had knee surgery that ended very badly for me and now I refuse surgery unless it is 100% necessary. Until my arm stops moving it wont happen lol.
    ~Daniel Webster

Surgery is, for me, ALWAYS a "last option". Get ahold of some "ZIJA" from someone. 27 (twenty seven!) naturally occurring anti-inflammatories. No more chiropractor visits for me after many, MANY breaks, sprains, injuries, etc. etc.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member Array OutWestSystems's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Taurahe View Post
    Surgery is a no go.... I had knee surgery that ended very badly for me and now I refuse surgery unless it is 100% necessary. Until my arm stops moving it wont happen lol.
    ALL knee surgeries are much more complicated than this one. The reality is that tennis elbow rarely needs surgery, the big problem is that people don't allow it to rest the way they really need it to for true recovery. Tennis elbow is a tendon problem and the problem with tendons is they don't have a lot of blood flow and don't heal very quickly at all. So you need to follow ALL of the doctors instructions even after it starts feeling better. The thing that often happens is that it will start to feel much better long before it is completely healed, so people will go back to doing what they did before and hurt it again. So even when you start to feel better, take the extra time to make sure you are really fixed, or you will end up with someone cutting on you.
    blitzburgh and ctr like this.

Please elaborate on the hot rocks.. I am very intrigued !!!
    My wife got them at the better health store for her neck. You heat them in the nuke machine for a couple of minutes and then put them on the spot that hurts. You can also use uncooked rice in a sock and heat that up as well. I have used both....
    Don"t let stupid be your skill set....

I have had to have mine injected a couple of times. It use to flair up once in a while but have not had trouble for sometime. Good luck....
    Never argue with an idiot. They will drag you down to there level and beat you with experience... olllllllllo

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I had it in both elbows and it's a royal pain in the butt. I couldn't pick up a salt shaker with either arm. Shots, heat, etc. didn't help. I finally had the surgery on my right elbow and it worked wonders. I'd call it a 99.9% fix as I only feel a twinge once in a great while. In fact, I think my left elbow took notice that I meant to get them fixed and now it only flares up occasionally. A little rest and heat for a day or two takes care of it.

I'd say, if it's persistent, get the surgery and get it over with.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Quote Originally Posted by OldVet View Post
    I had it in both elbows and it's a royal pain in the butt. I couldn't pick up a salt shaker with either arm. Shots, heat, etc. didn't help. I finally had the surgery on my right elbow and it worked wonders. I'd call it a 99.9% fix as I only feel a twinge once in a great while. In fact, I think my left elbow took notice that I meant to get them fixed and now it only flares up occasionally. A little rest and heat for a day or two takes care of it.

I'd say, if it's persistent, get the surgery and get it over with.
    Persistent , yes but not so bad that I cant do most things. It really only hurts when I lift things with some weight to them. Glad to hear it worked well for you, if things dont get better then I will have to make a trip to the Va to see what they can do ... fun fun
    ~Daniel Webster

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Mine was done by a very good AF orthopedic doc. Basically it's a build up of crystals in the tendons/muscle and they scrap it off. Small scar, 2-3 week and back to new.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    So I went to my chiropractor this week and told him my elbow was bothering me and it was difficult to shoot... he is a firearms enthusiast as well.... I described my symtoms and he said the tennis elbow demons had got me.... Presenting a firearm bigger than my shield is painful and difficult and its not fun.. my dry fire, holster clear and draw, and other at home practices have suffered considerably. He recommended a counterforce brace which I just picked up to try for a few weeks. I dont have problems gripping things, just in the movements used in firearms training. He wants me to give it a month but if it doesnt get any better he wants me to see an ortho doc.

Has any one else had these problems? What have you done to help it? any other suggestions ? Yes, I am stretching three times a day also.
    I have had tennis elbow in both arms. It is painful and won't go away by itself. I got a cortisone shot (at different times) in each elbow and it fixed me up each time. One shot has lasted with no side effects. I would recommend you ask a real doctor for one. After less than a week you should be completely out of pain and have full motion of the joint.
    If you understand, things are just as they are... If you do not understand, things are just as they are....
    - Zen Saying

Played racquetball for years, the backhand is perfect for tennis elbow. Doc advised a brace, actually a neoprene strap in front of the elbow. Not to tight but tight enough to stop the tendons from vibrating, like laying your fingers on the strings of a musical instrument. Worked great for me. It become a required piece of equipment for playing.

Distinguished Member Array shadowwalker's Avatar
    I blew out the tendons in both arms, completely destroyed they did surgery on both elbows I have 30% loss in both arms. I used the heavy neoprene sleeves a grip master and rubber stress balls that was done 1995. Since then I have grip back and keep up the work outs work outs and use Tiger Balm along with ice packs twice a week and I can handle calibers up to the .460 with no issues and none with drawing. It took about 14 months before I got back into big bores and true there are some days that are tougher than others but I'm very old now so I expect that but when did a clearing drill at a shoot house everything worked like it should because of what you need to do and your mind rules.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links