Threats to our way of life. Not gun related

This is a discussion on Threats to our way of life. Not gun related within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Unhealthy or simply skinny? Yale student shares BMI ordeal* - TODAY.com I need to blow off some steam. This young Girl attending one of the ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree121Likes

Thread: Threats to our way of life. Not gun related

Distinguished Member

Unhealthy or simply skinny? Yale student shares BMI ordeal* - TODAY.com

I need to blow off some steam. This young Girl attending one of the finest institutions in the world. Some where along the line she found a lump on her breast and went in to have it looked at. The lump was found benign and then is when the nosey rosey gets into her file and declares her suffering from a eating disorder. The rest is in the article but this is no longer the US I fought for nor the one I am proud of. We have gone completely off the reservation.

Sorry I had to get this off my chest or explode.

Yeah, I read that story a couple days ago and just shook my head. It's a preview of what will happen if we continue on our current path. Mix an ever-broadening spectrum of "recognized" psychological disorders, government-managed healthcare, an expanding definition of "threats to public health," and the misguided desire to save others from themselves, and freedom disappears. Too skinny? Eating disorder, must intervene. Too fat? Same. Gamble? Gambling addiction, must intervene. Disagree with same-sex marriage? Latent homophobia, must intervene. Disagree with open borders? Latent racism, must intervene. Carry a gun? Paranoid, probably psychopathic, definitely dangerous, MUST intervene.

This is an oversimplification, but what it comes down to is: fit the norm, or you'll be "helped" until you do.
    ...there is no arguing with such snivelling puppies, who allow superiors to kick them about deck at pleasure.

— Captain Bellamy

Wow ridiculous!!

Quote Originally Posted by maxwell97 View Post
    Yeah, I read that story a couple days ago and just shook my head. It's a preview of what will happen if we continue on our current path. Mix an ever-broadening spectrum of "recognized" psychological disorders, government-managed healthcare, an expanding definition of "threats to public health," and the misguided desire to save others from themselves, and freedom disappears. Too skinny? Eating disorder, must intervene. Too fat? Same. Gamble? Gambling addiction, must intervene. Disagree with same-sex marriage? Latent homophobia, must intervene. Disagree with open borders? Latent racism, must intervene. Carry a gun? Paranoid, probably psychopathic, definitely dangerous, MUST intervene.

This is an oversimplification, but what it comes down to is: fit the norm, or you'll be "helped" until you do.
    10 years ago I may have bieved it to be an over simplification. But not now.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

And people wonder why we are concerned about electronic health records and govt intrusion into our healthcare information.

I work with a lady that's 30 and she has to be the thinnest and narrowest person I've ever known...and she eats like a horse!!! She must be 5'9" and not an ounce over 100lb. Some people have high metabolisms, and some of us don't. Most would look at my co-worker and think she has an eating disorder, but I saw her put away a plate of country fried steak, mashed potatoes, and gravy that made this big ol' country boy proud!!! And she topped it off with a big ol' piece of cake!!! And I had grilled salmon, steamed asparagus, and a salad. Go figure.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

This story is an example of what happens when ignorant and untrained people try to force political correctness down the throats of innocent people. The student is over 18 and therefore a legal adult who does not need her parents to force her to do anything. And the school is going to kick her out for being underweight?

"Angela Guarda, director of the Eating Disorders Program at the Johns Hopkins Hospital, says Chan's BMI of 16.5 is considered underweight, but it is hard to diagnose someone with an eating disorder without looking at other factors, such as talking to friends or family to see if there has been a change in behavior."

When one of our daughters was a few months old, my wife and I were attending a social function and a complete stranger came up to my wife and told her our daughter was failing to thrive. My wife let this idiot have it with both barrels. Our daughter was sleeping on my wife's shoulder because she was exhausted from having been up the night before with some minor ailment. My wife asked the woman how she could possibly diagnose a child she hadn't examined, didn't know anything about her family history, and hadn't been asked for an opinion. The woman slunk off with her tail between her legs. Hopefully, she never stuck her nose in anyone's business again and attempted to make a half-baked diagnosis. More likely, she ended up at Yale Health...
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

VIP Member
    Here is one that gets me going. Boring, repetitive classroom material, sugar-laden soft drinks and breakfast cereals and imaginative kids who are easily bored get diagnoses which gets a bunch of them medicated, often against their wishes and those of their parents.
    CDC - ADHD, Data and Statistics - NCBDDD
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Here is one that gets me going. Boring, repetitive classroom material, sugar-laden soft drinks and breakfast cereals and imaginative kids who are easily bored get diagnoses which gets a bunch of them medicated, often against their wishes and those of their parents.
    CDC - ADHD, Data and Statistics - NCBDDD

I had ADHD when I was a kid, but my mother gave me an upside and cured it.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

The BMI is the biggest joke out there. My wife is a school nurse and she has to do BMI's for the kids. Fortunatly for her school they only require it and give the results to the parent with an explanation the test does not account for various things.

My wife and I both run marathons and ultra's. We both work out and but are not fanatics. Our measured body fat is very low (wife's is low but not low for a female), yet I am consider overwieght and dang close to being obese.
    Then I heard the voice of the Lord saying, “Whom shall I send? And who will go for us?”
    And I said, “Here am I. Send me!”

Isaiah 6:8

When my son embarked on his journey through puberty, he had a brief case of Oppositional Defiance Disorder.

Oppositional defiant disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fortunately his case only lasted about 30 seconds. That's the amount of time it took me to remove my belt and lovingly direct 2 or 3 "doses" of antidote in the direction of his posterior. I am glad to report he is now a happy, well-adjusted, successful, young Southern gentleman. Although this old remedy seems to have fallen out of favor, I found it to be immensely effective.

Quote Originally Posted by suntzu View Post
    The BMI is the biggest joke out there...My wife and I both run marathons and ultra's. We both work out but are not fanatics. Our measured body fat is very low...yet I am consider overweight and dang close to being obese.
    There's no hope for me, then! In January, I switched to a no-processed food diet, vegan during the week, some meat and bread on the weekends. I workout daily for 30-45 minutes and have lost about 6 pounds. I don't consider myself obese, but I'm overweight for my height, at least according to the BMI criteria. I don't run marathons, but if someone like suntzu does, and is considered close to being obese, I GIVE UP!
    Ben

Cogito, ergo armatum sum. I think, therefore I am armed. (Don Mann, The Modern Day Gunslinger; the ultimate handgun training manual)

St. Louis, MO "The Most Dangerous City in America"
    If you don't think health control is another massive weapon for government to use against us you're not living in reality or thinking like the enemy.
    “Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive." C.S. Lewis

Quote Originally Posted by wyoung View Post
    When my son embarked on his journey through puberty, he had a brief case of Oppositional Defiance Disorder.

Oppositional defiant disorder - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Fortunately his case only lasted about 30 seconds. That's the amount of time it took me to remove my belt and lovingly direct 2 or 3 "doses" of antidote in the direction of his posterior. I am glad to report he is now a happy, well-adjusted, successful, young Southern gentleman. Although this old remedy seems to have fallen out of favor, I found it to be immensely effective.
    When I was little Corporal Punishment was the Rule of the day. I didn't get the belt very often tho. Spankings were another thing tho. I got spanked often. I turned out OK. I am convinced if more parents spanked their kids when they are bratty there would be less crime and possibly smarter kids.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    I had an Airman in my shop in Thailand who had the exact opposite problem; he was about 5’ 7” and weighed just over 200 pounds. They were constantly threatening him with the fat boy program; the problem was he was into bodybuilding and weight lifting and built like a wedge. The Air Force did not use the BMI back then but I seriously doubt he had any fat at all.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    I suffered from what would be diagnosed as "behavioral disorders" as a kid. My mom's lightning-quick right hand was adapt at curing it on a temporary basis at least. It would knock DiNosso silly. And later I loved her all the more for it.
    Aceoky, msgt/ret and gatorbait51 like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links