Visiting Switzerland

Visiting Switzerland

This is a discussion on Visiting Switzerland within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The Hobo Hunter is on vacation in Switzerland. I'm not spending very long--just two days--but it's something I've wanted to do for a lifetime. Just ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Like Tree25Likes

Thread: Visiting Switzerland

Talking Visiting Switzerland

The Hobo Hunter is on vacation in Switzerland. I'm not spending very long--just two days--but it's something I've wanted to do for a lifetime.

Just thought I'd make you lot jealous

I might post some pics if you're nice.

(So far, haven't seen any of the famous Swiss military rifles everybody's said to keep in their homes. Heck, I've seen more gun shops in Germany. Not the topic of this thread, just thought I'd say it before everyone asks.)
    Sister, mook012, Jtrams and 1 others like this.
    You cannot invade the mainland United States. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass. --Admiral Isoroku Yamamoto
    If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough. --Albert Einstein
    You taught us to imagine, and we imagined your irrelevance! --Dalek Caan

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    I thought the law was they are, technically, not allowed to even TOUCH those rifles unless called upon to do so...?

Cool though! I spent a month backpacking thorugh Europe after graduating high school! Good Stuff. Have fun!!
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Distinguished Member
    I am jealous. I got to go there a couple of times in the early 2000's and fell in love with the country. Now I want to go back. Post pics if you can.
    Aceoky likes this.
    NRA Member
    GOA Member
    US Army Vet

One of the guys on Calguns had a whole thread on it ... You still cant carry a gun in public there and now the ammo for the SHTF guns is not ever stored with the guns anymore ..

That said all the house have bomb shelters in them still I think and they do make nice things .

I think also what the guy on calguns was saying was handguns were not that big there but rifle were esp of course sig and the like ... I think I saw some SBR stuff too.. THough you should see the gun cartolge for some of the swiss guns stuff so much nice Sigs ...

But really I wana say I would take the laws of the Czech Repulic ( you can still get a permit to carry and own militray style guns ) or NZ ( semi auto centefire still legal and silencers are over the counter )
    Aceoky likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

They do have great bunkers though one of there hiways is the largest fallout shellter in the world I think .. Somethin like 4 or 5 thosuand people in it ..

Plus all the hiways are runways for the Griffion fighters ..

Good cheese too :)
    Aceoky likes this.
    “Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.” H.L. Mencken
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

If you get the chance you should check out their nice bomb shelters. It has been written into the Swiss Building Codes since the end of WWII (I think) all private homes businesses and government buildings they will have below grade shelters. If I was there that's what I'd be doing when I wasn't in a gun shop.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member
    I spent a couple of weeks on an alps tour a few years ago - before digital cameras took over. I shot 30 rolls of 36 photo rolls. The scenery depicted on most post cards is bogus. Highly touched up photos. The one of Swiss mountains - don't do them justice. The real thing is better than the post cards. Have fun and take a BIG butt scan disk for your camera.
    Typos are for the entertainment of the reader. Don't let it go to your head

Be nice to the Swiss. they ALL OWN FULLY AUTO WEAPONS.

swiss-guns-and-bikes-85530937385.jpeg
    G-d, Make me fast and accurate. Let my aim be true and my hand faster than those who would seek to destroy me. And G-d if today is truly the day you call me home, then let me die in a pile of empty brass.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kennydale View Post
    Be nice to the Swiss. they ALL OWN FULLY AUTO WEAPONS.

swiss-guns-and-bikes-85530937385.jpeg
    Except they don't.
    WrongRecroom and Parrisk like this.

Whereabouts in Switzerland?

I've been there a bit, once in the 60s, once in the 90s... nice place to tour. Hyper-dittos on the "take lots of pictures" comment!
    Aceoky likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Except they don't.
    Yep most issued SIG 551 in case of war .. Unpon retirm if of a certian rank they are converted to semi auto and issues if the person so wants as I remember ... But now even the ammo is not stowed at home and in some case the guns dont even have firing pins in them..

full auto guns silencers etc are either not legal to own or require speical permits from the town police which are normal nevered issues ..
    Mike1956 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Yep most issued SIG 551 in case of war .. Unpon retirm if of a certian rank they are converted to semi auto and issues if the person so wants as I remember ... But now even the ammo is not stowed at home and in some case the guns dont even have firing pins in them..

full auto guns silencers etc are either not legal to own or require speical permits from the town police which are normal nevered issues ..
    The percentage of gun-owning individuals and households in Switzerland is less than of those in the US. They also have universal militia service connected to those SIGs.

Congrats! I've spent one evening in Geneva. What a beautiful city.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    Except they don't.
    Don't... what? Own them? No, they're owned by the Swiss gov't - but they are kept in private homes. The ammo used to be as well but I can't get a firm read on that right now. I don't think it is illegal to have 5.56 at home, but I think it is no longer handed out to keep at home, as it once was.

When I spent a month there in '64 I was impressed by one of my young hosts who trotted out his Sig (210?) 9mm pistol and his select-fire MP5 when we enjoyed dinner at his apartment one night. I thought that was way cool, but I was a bit rattled when he used a live 9mm round to tamp down the lit tobacco in his pipe.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Don't... what? Own them? No, they're owned by the Swiss gov't - but they are kept in private homes. The ammo used to be as well but I can't get a firm read on that right now. I don't think it is illegal to have 5.56 at home, but I think it is no longer handed out to keep at home, as it once was.

When I spent a month there in '64 I was impressed by one of my young hosts who trotted out his Sig (210?) 9mm pistol and his select-fire MP5 when we enjoyed dinner at his apartment one night. I thought that was way cool, but I was a bit rattled when he used a live 9mm round to tamp down the lit tobacco in his pipe.
    I was responding to the assertion that all Swiss own full-auto firearms. I know lots of folks don't like Snopes, but their info is verifiable elsewhere:
    http://www.snopes.com/politics/guns/switzerland.asp

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links