Trying to Quit Drinking

Trying to Quit Drinking

This is a discussion on Trying to Quit Drinking within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, it is finally at that point. I was told I would get here. The point where I split up my paychecks and put booze ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast
Like Tree360Likes

Thread: Trying to Quit Drinking

Trying to Quit Drinking

Well, it is finally at that point. I was told I would get here. The point where I split up my paychecks and put booze money back, solely pick restaurants on whether or not they have a bar, and sipping the bourbon daily. I don't NEED to, but.. hey, why not? It's there and I paid for it. Trying to get more serious in my Religion, and hoping to just move past it all. I'm 22, and if I can be rid of this now than I have a good bit of my life ahead to be free of it all. It's been a few years since I started though, so it's hard to see me quitting "cold turkey."

I don't know if this thread is fit for this forum, but I just felt the need to post it. If anyone has been down this road before, do you have any advice?

Never been much of a drinker, myself, but from those I've known: I'd say the biggest obstacle is failing to see when you might have a problem. You recognize that you do, and that's a huge first step, so congrats.

I guess the only helpful thing I have to say is, don't be afraid to talk to someone about it, whether family, friends, counselor, or support group. You may run into folks who look down on you for having an addiction; ignore them and talk to somebody else. Anybody who's been around the block knows good people who have had to fight such a personal demon.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

You may want to give Alcoholics Anonymous a look see.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

Distinguished Member Array Brady's Avatar
    Alcohol never got a strong hold on me personally, Thank You LORD. I've got plenty of other faults though.

A good place to start would be the Gospel of John, start reading and ask God to show you what He wants you to see.
    Find yourself a good Bible believing church (my pref is Baptist) that accepts what the bible says and doesn't try to reinterpret it by mans way of thinking.
    I'll be praying for you.
    ...he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. Luke 22:36
    USN/VET; NRA; GOA, jpfo.org
    Life in a Jar: The Irena Sendler Project www.irenasendler.com

Many of us have changed our ways and our lives. Many things used to feel good in the moment but not so good the next morning. Been there, done that.

Good for you, if you are serious about changing your life. Never to soon, even at 22.
    If you feel you cann't go cold turkey, then start off never drinking alone. And never drink if carrying.
    By ourselves we can do nothing!

Now about the other. It's about a relationship not religion. I hope you can find someone to help you and answer your questions.
    Someone to give assistance when you need it as you strengthen your faith.
    A good church is a fellowship of believers, just folks like you and me. Find one that teaches the Word, and never be afraid to question.
    Good luck!

You have taken an important 1st step by admitting you need to quit. Good for you. It won't be easy I'm sure, but I wish you the best.

Sent from my HTCONE using Tapatalk

coming from an ex long time drinker and a long time partaker, i understand the challenge before you. i had to hit the bottom before i could rise to the top. i think often of the time and money i wasted and especially the impact that it had on my wife. we are still together after 35 years and she has supported me throughout my life and for that i am truely blessed.surround yourself with good people and stay away for now, people and places that serve alcohol.it gets easier as you move further away from it.find something to occupy your time.good luck to you.
    In loving memory of my son Trey. *Aug 28 1982- Sept 1 2004*
    Gone from our home but not from our hearts.

VIP Member
    First-You have recognized you have a problem, that's a good first step.
    Second- Find a nearby AA meeting, get a sponsor, immerse and devote yourself in AA.
    Third- Don't let the bourbon talk you out of it.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

VIP Member
    I have never been a big drinker i have a food vice so i kinda know what you are saying on a different level .

I wish you the very best in this new challenge in life and the above comments are great to follow.
    gatorbait51 and NewportReds like this.
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Quote Originally Posted by sammeow View Post
    By ourselves we can do nothing!

Now about the other. It's about a relationship not religion...........
    Someone to give assistance when you need it as you strengthen your faith.
    A good church is a fellowship of believers, just folks like you and me. Find one that teaches the word ......
    THIS^^. Not a ritualistic rule filled "religion". But a "relationship" w Christ. Find a church (probably Christian non denominational) church that offers 12 step (AA) groups. This will get you around like minded Christians who will be there to help you both with your spiritual growth and your sobriety. I belong to one and it's done wonders for me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NewportReds View Post
    Well, it is finally at that point. I was told I would get here. The point where I split up my paychecks and put booze money back, solely pick restaurants on whether or not they have a bar, and sipping the bourbon daily. I don't NEED to, but.. hey, why not? It's there and I paid for it. Trying to get more serious in my Religion, and hoping to just move past it all. I'm 22, and if I can be rid of this now than I have a good bit of my life ahead to be free of it all. It's been a few years since I started though, so it's hard to see me quitting "cold turkey."

I don't know if this thread is fit for this forum, but I just felt the need to post it. If anyone has been down this road before, do you have any advice?
    I quit thirty-three years ago, stayed quit for twelve years, then got to quit again twenty years ago. My advice is to you is to not drink. God removed my compulsion to drink both times. He will allow me to have that compulsion back if I so choose. Same with cigarettes:
    "Nine years, four months, four days. 170565 cigarettes not smoked, saving $42,640.96. Life saved: 1 year, 32 weeks, 4 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes."
    From two and a half packs a day to ex-smoker all in one easy prayer.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Recognizing it's an issue and having the desire to change it is the most important part. Definitely look at the various support services that are available and don't be afraid to use them. The major battle of my life was cigarettes and I finally got it beat the last 4 years...and I did it for a long, long, long time. If I can beat that, then anyone can beat anything. It took me numerous tries over a long time, but now I don't even think about it anymore.

Alcohol never got a hold on me like tobacco did. I'll go weeks at a time without a drop, sometimes a month or so. A bottle of hooch will last months at my house. But given the hold cigarettes had on my I can certainly understand what you're dealing with.

I wish you well and don't give up. It's a process. Sometimes it is one step forward, two steps back, but keep pressing ahead and you make progress. Feel free to PM me anytime if you need to chat.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike1956 View Post
    I quit thirty-three years ago, stayed quit for twelve years, then got to quit again twenty years ago. My advice is to you is to not drink. God removed my compulsion to drink both times. He will allow me to have that compulsion back if I so choose. Same with cigarettes:
    "Nine years, four months, four days. 170565 cigarettes not smoked, saving $42,640.96. Life saved: 1 year, 32 weeks, 4 days, 5 hours, 45 minutes."
    From two and a half packs a day to ex-smoker all in one easy prayer.
    My 7th attempt to quit smoking over a 20 year period was finally successful, and it was the only attempt that the only thing I used to quit was prayer. It worked.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Guns are like sex and air...its no big deal until YOU can't get any.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BugDude View Post
    My 7th attempt to quit smoking over a 20 year period was finally successful, and it was the only attempt that the only thing I used to quit was prayer. It worked.
    We still have to do our part in most things, but prayer certainly relieves us of the heavy lifting, at least in my experience.
    The hardest thing to explain is the glaringly evident which everybody had decided not to see.
    Ayn Rand

Take it one day at a time or even one hour at a time, or one minute. Been there done that, ask for all the help you need from those willing to help. AA is a great place to start. Good luck.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links