LEO suggested ankle bracelet or invisible fence

This is a discussion on LEO suggested ankle bracelet or invisible fence within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My youngest daughter is physically 14, but mentally about 6. Yesterday she ran away again, and the officers have responded like they have in the ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree59Likes

Thread: LEO suggested ankle bracelet or invisible fence

My youngest daughter is physically 14, but mentally about 6. Yesterday she ran away again, and the officers have responded like they have in the past. This time though, a female officer suggested an electric fence type device that does not shock but sounds an alarm. Or, an ankle bracelet.

We priced the GPS ankle bracelets and from $300 to $1,700 is a no way in the world. We will be paying on other bills from her for the next ten years, and are strapped.

So, my question is, does anyone know of an inexpensive device (that she can not remove) that would help us find her, or keep her in yard, or in a certain distance to us?

Thanks
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

How about GPS tracking apps on a cell phone? I'm sure most of the major cell phone networks should support them. If due to medical/risk issues, you might well be able to get such a service for little to no cost, if such programs exist or if you ask.

Something like these ...

Of course, your child doesn't need a cell phone, but strapping one of those onto the clothing (hidden pocket?) might work well enough.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Problem ccw9mm is she does not have a phone. She has no concept of proper use unfortunately. But thanks for the idea.

We had thought of some jewelry disguised device, but, if it can break, she will break it, if it can be lost, she will lose it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Nehemiah 4:14: “Don’t be afraid of them. Remember the Lord who is great and awesome, and draw your Beretta PX4 and fight for your brothers, your sons and your daughters, your wives and your homes.” highlighted added by LMP

Man, that's tough. When my father-in-law was suffering from dementia the same people who put the GPS ankle gizmos on house-arrest people came and put one on him in case he wandered off. He broke it off (it was supposed to be unbreakable) but he was a big, strong guy not a 14 year old girl. I believe it was the Sheriff's department who came out (with a social worker as I recall) and set it up on him. Might be worth a call.

good luck.

This looks pretty neat. Would she keep something like this on?
    gatorbait51 and LuvMyPX4 like this.

Nick, the watch thing looks cool in that it allows us to contact her which she might think is cool enough to keep on. If she figured out it could track her, she might break, lose, or drown it. But, we will look deeper into it.

Thanks Norm, her Dimentia is not too bad yet, but, it has it's down times. All the ankle bracelets we could find came with third party tracking, which means $$$ Maybe a call to DCS would help
    Norm66 and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    Sorry to hear about your daughter.

I've been trying to think of a workable solution for you and I apologize in advance for making this suggestion. I know this "sounds" bad but have you looked at a pet tracking collar? From what I see it looks like a $99 initial purchase and $10/month monitoring fee. BTW I'm in no way suggesting she wear this around her neck, but a small pet size might work around her ankle, or a larger pet size might work around her waist. You'd only have to figure out how to lock it.

https://intouch-store.secure.force.c...utmk=179119398
    gatorbait51 and LuvMyPX4 like this.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Distinguished Member Array DingBat's Avatar
    Mr. Beretta.
    That is tough.

Thinking outside the box here....and wondering out loud a bit.
    Your typical "electric fence" that zaps a dog....
    Your typical stores anti-theft devices....
    I would contact a local radio repair-man. The type of small mom and pop shop that'll fix tv's, steroes, radios, the general eletronics guru.
    i BET a guy like that could take an electric dog fence, and make it detect the cheap, disposable little widgets the store uses in their systems. a simple alarm bell. you could buy/install a jillion of those little store tags. (i'm thinking the sticky backed ones in DVD cases, not the big clunky things they attach to clothing) you could then install on in every one of her shoes. (not going anywhere w/out shoes.) the electric fence sensors could be more permantly installed than staked in the ground too, they could be screwed to existing fence posts or whatever.

This method may allow you to amortize the payments in a way too. contact the electrician/radioman. if he says yes, let him tell you which eletric fence to buy. and wait. next month take the system to him and pay him to modify.

i have no idea if it's even possible or how much it would cost to modify/create a system like that. but if you were ab;e to install a small chip like that in all her shoes, she may never figure that out. my fear w/ any "box" be it a watch, or a modified collar or ankle bracelet, is, as you say, her removing/killing it.

another real easy and cheap modified system is to take motion sensing lights, and attach an alarm where the light goes. 110v alarms are cheap and easy to find, re-wiring would be about like re-wiring a lamp== super easy. it's a lot more primitive, and you'd need many to cover the different angles of the house, and every cat and raccoon in the yard would set it off(though they can be adjusted for sensisitivy, but if it was my kid i'd rather it be too sensitive and be set off by the occasional dog than not go off when it's her) a side benefit is it'd make a good intruder alarm. you could even extend the wire and run the alarm inside the house, it would have to be mounted w/ the light. most motion sensing lights have two light too, one could still be a light, the other side runs into the house to a small buzzer.

i don't know if either of those ideas would work, don't know how comfortable you may be w/ eletronics, but i could walk you through making the modified motion sensing light.

Safe Alarm Buzzer AC 110 Volts Mini Siren | eBay
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

Quote Originally Posted by ppkheat View Post
    Sorry to hear about your daughter.

I've been trying to think of a workable solution for you and I apologize in advance for making this suggestion. I know this "sounds" bad but have you looked at a pet tracking collar? From what I see it looks like a $99 initial purchase and $10/month monitoring fee. BTW I'm in no way suggesting she wear this around her neck, but a small pet size might work around her ankle, or a larger pet size might work around her waist. You'd only have to figure out how to lock it.

https://intouch-store.secure.force.c...utmk=179119398
    That is definitely cheaper than most systems, but the $10 a month monitoring adds up. I wish they had an option to self track
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by DingBat View Post
    Mr. Beretta.
    I like that, I wish I could also claim some of the design royalties.
    Like the two ideas, not sure how tough either would be. As an EE, I was already thinking on how to modify the shock collar to send out a pulse alarm in the house. Problem misght be when she is with us and it is OK to leave yard. So, design still in process. The shock option was jokingly thought of for a couple seconds because one side effect of her condition is no remorse. So everything she does is someone elses fault. I thought to reduce the shock charge and if she wore it on her ankle, no harm, no foul. But I think that would still not go over to well.

The RFID tags in all her clothes is a cool concept, and if I amplify the signal strength, I may not need that many.

On that topic, I was just thinking of a simple send/receive signal generator but change the IC chip to alarm on loss of signal instead of receipt of signal. I think a trip to Raadio Schack is in order

Thanks
    Mr. B
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    I feel your pain , my son is 34 years of age and is always in plain site of my wife or I , also when he goes out with other caregivers. But he is more severely disabled .

I will keep looking and searching to see if i can find something out our way that may work for you . I wish you the best .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

I think I may be getting closer. Found this circuit design Anti-theft design since it sounds like it will operate just like I need.
    Now to figure out if I can mount in a waterproof box that can be strapped to her leg.

Granted, buying one already done is easier, but, as a last resort...

Edit to say it would also serve as a locator. Alarm goes off as she is in range
    gatorbait51 and Navydude like this.

Check out RCSD Volunteer Program - Project Lifesaver
    We use them for search and rescue on anyone who has a medical need and a tendency to wander.
    Last edited by Dan.1977P; May 27th, 2014 at 09:21 AM. Reason: the actual program name wasn't listed anywhere
    ... evil will always triumph because good is dumb! - Dark Helmet

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links