The hardest thing I've ever had to do...

This is a discussion on The hardest thing I've ever had to do... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; If some of you were wondering where I got the board name, Tangle, that's my dog's name and I used her name in honor of ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree151Likes

Thread: The hardest thing I've ever had to do...

Senior Moderator

If some of you were wondering where I got the board name, Tangle, that's my dog's name and I used her name in honor of one of my best friends.

Tangle is old now, about 15 years of age, as of late she's had some problems that weren't going away. We had her to a vet and it became clear old age was setting in.

The last and defining problem was loss of use of her rear legs. Suddenly, Tuesday evening, she couldn't walk, I had to help her get up. I carried her out for her evening bathroom and put a leash under her tummy so her rear wouldn't collapse. When I got up Wednesday morning she couldn't stand up. I tried using some food to coax her out of her bed but she made no attempt to get up.

Because of what I had seen coming over the last two weeks and what the vet said, I knew she had a total collapse of the nervous system to her rear legs and maybe more. At her age there would be no recovery - two vets made that clear.

So I did the hardest thing I've ever had to do in my life and then my wife and I buried her Wednesday morning.

I had her for 14 years and I was the only person her heart had room for and people that visited us even commented to that fact. She and I had a unique relationship and I miss her deeply.

I'm starting the fourth day without her and every where I look, everything I do reminds me of how much of a part of my life she had become.

I'm gonna go cry some more now...
    Kennydale, Mike1956, OD* and 43 others like this.
    I'm too young to be this old!
    Getting old isn't good for you!

Damn that's sad. Sorry for your loss. Its sometimes harder losing dogs than people.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    I'm very sorry to hear of this.

My condolences to you.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

I understand what it is to loose a good friend and member of the family. Have had to put down two GSDs and I cried for days. You don't " get over it " you just learn to live with it.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I'm very sorry to read this. It's never easy.
    I actually dug my GSD's grave last week when she could not stand all day and was in a lot of pain. Then by the end of the day she was fine, or as fine as an 11 year old GSD can be. It won't be long though...

My thoughts are with you on losing your first.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

You have our deepest condolences. We had to put our dog down at 14 years due to similar circumstances. While we knew it had to be done, it doesn't make it any easier. As we were taking her for her last ride, I remember to this day reaching my hand around to the back seat where she was lying and her licking my hand as though she knew what was happening and was saying goodbye. We had her cremated, and she is still with us 20 years later. Fortunately our other dogs have passed peacefully on their own. The pain will gradually pass and fond memories will take its place.
    gatorbait51 and Jackster like this.
    "The best we can hope for concerning the people at large is that they be properly armed." Alexander Hamilton

Distinguished Life Member NRA
    2AF
    Maryland Shall Issue
    Handgunlaw.us Donor

I hate stories like this. :( We had to put down our 16 y/o Maine Coon cat a coupla years back. I still hurt over that. She had done nothing wrong. She just got old and was suffering.

We had her cremated and have her ashes in an urn in the living room.

Sorry for your loss.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Don't try to be fancy. Shoot for the center of mass. The world is full of decent people. Criminals we can do without. -- Jeff Cooper (1920Ė2006)

Sorry for your loss.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

I love Tiberius/Maggie.

VIP Member
    Will Rogers said it better than I ever could:
    “If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”
    "If I had my choice I would kill every reporter in the world, but I am sure we would be getting reports from Hell before breakfast."
    William T. Sherman

Sorry for the loss of your dear friend.. Pet owners are probably the only ones who share the grief of losing a loved one, who has given unconditional love, regardless of how their own day is going. Pets, regardless of the species, are God's gift to us.
    Rest easy, in the knowledge that you'll be re-united with Tangle. She's going to be missed, for the time being, but not forgotten..
    Geeeze.my screen just got misty here....
    gatorbait51 and Sky Pilot like this.
    Why Waltz when you can Rock-N-Roll

We have to believe, they are waiting for us, at the Rainbow Bridge, to be re-joined forever. We were gone on an Amtrak trip,when our 13 year old, Golden Retriever passed, at the kennels. I had left specific instructions, and she was cremated as requested. Her ashes are now in a box on the mantle, to be spread with my ashes when I pass on. We now have another Golden, but our memories will live on forever.

My sincere condolences to you and yours, I know it hurts.

Oliver, my Golden Retriever, passed 4 years ago and I had tears in my eyes 3 days ago when something happened that reminded me of him.

Hang in there, enjoy the many great memories of a faithful companion.

Rest in peace, Tangle.
    gatorbait51 and CLASS3NH like this.

OD*
    Ron, I am so, so sorry to hear this.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Distinguished Member Array AZJD1968's Avatar
    I am sorry for your loss.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Stop whining and go do something that makes a difference!
    If you think that I may be talking to you, then I am.

I am so sorry for your loss. It is the hardest thing we do, and yet you showed her the love and loyalty to help her take those final steps. I lost my beloved GSD to degenerative myelopathy a few months ago, so I sympathize and shed tears with you now. Peace be with you.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links