Napa Earthquake

Napa Earthquake

This is a discussion on Napa Earthquake within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; To all of you that sent messages asking if we were OK thank you very much. It was nice to hear some one cares. I ...

Like Tree18Likes
  • 5 Post By manolito
  • 2 Post By Ianthin
  • 5 Post By Hodad
  • 1 Post By msgt/ret
  • 1 Post By Arborigine
  • 2 Post By Arborigine
  • 2 Post By msgt/ret

Thread: Napa Earthquake

Distinguished Member

Napa Earthquake

To all of you that sent messages asking if we were OK thank you very much. It was nice to hear some one cares.

I attached a video shot with one of the more sophisticated quad choppers. Turn the music off it is offensively cheerful in my opinion. Not only does it give a good idea of the damage to downtown it gives a glimpse of what the police can do with one of these devices. I had no idea how capable these were. Three aftershocks today nothing of any strength.

For me an earthquake once in a while is better than a hurricane season each year.

Drone cameras are really cool and really scary all at once.

Glad you are doing well, I'm sure the rebuilding will go quickly.
    DingBat and msgt/ret like this.
    I'm not saying we should kill all the stupid people. I'm saying remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Distinguished Member Array Arborigine's Avatar
    Glad you are OK. Growing up in San Diego left me kind of immune to worrying about anything under a 4.0 locally, It's like the brunch scene in "L.A. Story". We just adapt and wonder why people live in flood plains or tornado belts. More than once I have been under a car on a hoist when they started to sway. You just take a break and go back to work, mindful of aftershocks. I am about 120 miles due East of you, some felt it here but on a granite monolith we don't get much seismic activity except minor rattles from Mammoth/Markleeville on the other side of the Sierras. Drones are cool, I gotta get one. I can justify it as a SHTF forest security device, but it's a great toy.
    I don't always have nothing to say, but when I do, I post it on Facebook.

Distinguished Member Array Hodad's Avatar
    The wine!!! Save the wine!!!
    "Life is tough but it's really tough if you are stupid"

VIP Member
    That is going to take quite a while to rebuild, lucky it was early in the morning or al that falling masonry would have caused more injuries. I have friends that live in Vacaville, both said they felt it but did not get any damage.

How did the wineries fair, I saw where many lost wine but a lot of them are built to look like villas or chateaus and I wonder how earthquake resistant they are. Used to enjoy going the back way into Napa, from Lake Berryessa down SR 128 to SR 121 and into Napa and on up the valley. I was stationed 9 Years at Travis and out of all the quakes I seen reported I only remember 2 and they were very minor.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hodad View Post
    The wine!!! Save the wine!!!
    I remember bumper stickers in Napa Valley.

Save Water
    Drink Wine
    Rock and Glock likes this.

Distinguished Member Array lionround's Avatar
    Amazing video. Thanks for posting. Hoping all is well with you and yours.
    I busted a mirror and got seven years bad luck, but my lawyer thinks he can get me five.
    -- Steven Wright
    1950 Colt .38 Police Positive Special
    2013 SCCY 9mm CPX-2 Stainless Steel
    US Army 1973-1977, 95B

I have a car club friend with an old winery on the fault near Hollister. The main winery building is directly on the fault. Shaken or Stirred, This Winery Is a Big Hit With Seismologists - WSJ
    msgt/ret likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post

I remember bumper stickers in Napa Valley.

Save Water
    Drink Wine
    They have some here that say, "Calaveras makes wine, Napa makes auto parts"
    ravinlunachick and msgt/ret like this.

Read an article where it's estimated the losses could top $4B in the local region. The article I saw also mentioned that the 2011 revenues from the wine industry in Napa were $5.5B or so. Can't imagine how it could get hit so hard, unless hills slid and destroyed all the vines, or all the harvested grapes brought in (so far) got blasted, or there are no roads/trucks/people that can be used to complete the harvest (which is early this year due to the ongoing drought conditions).

Hopefully, whatever does get rebuilt, repaired, replaced will be done with an eye toward erasing the old brick and block construction techniques from 100yrs ago, instead going with reinforced/structural methods better suited to withstanding larger quakes. Though, dollar to a doughnut that many of the folks who get insurance cash for repairs will simply patch up and go, leaving the rickety structural realities in the buildings for next time. Hopefully not to many will decide to go that route.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ccw9mm View Post
    Read an article where it's estimated the losses could top $4B in the local region. The article I saw also mentioned that the 2011 revenues from the wine industry in Napa were $5.5B or so. Can't imagine how it could get hit so hard, unless hills slid and destroyed all the vines, or all the harvested grapes brought in (so far) got blasted, or there are no roads/trucks/people that can be used to complete the harvest (which is early this year due to the ongoing drought conditions).
    Hopefully, whatever does get rebuilt, repaired, replaced will be done with an eye toward erasing the old brick and block construction techniques from 100yrs ago, instead going with reinforced/structural methods better suited to withstanding larger quakes. Though, dollar to a doughnut that many of the folks who get insurance cash for repairs will simply patch up and go, leaving the rickety structural realities in the buildings for next time. Hopefully not to many will decide to go that route.
    Saw pictures of the warehouses of some of the wineries, thousands of bottles of wine smashed along with cases of wine destroyed and many barrels destroyed also. Considering how long some wines are aged it will take quite some time for them to recover or if they are able to.
    QKShooter and Jeanlouise like this.

Glad to hear you're OK Bill and your kin too. Had I not dropped over here I'd not heard there was an earthquake anywhere. Seldom listen to radio. No TV news here. Don't see a paper.

Good to hear you're in one piece.
    Firing a suppressed is on my Bucket List.

I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.

America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.

VIP Member
    Glad to hear that you made it through without too much damage.
    That video is really amazing!

Quote Originally Posted by msgt/ret View Post
    Saw pictures of the warehouses of some of the wineries, thousands of bottles of wine smashed along with cases of wine destroyed and many barrels destroyed also. Considering how long some wines are aged it will take quite some time for them to recover or if they are able to.
    I also heard that many of the Vineyards are small, family owned operations that lost not only the wine, but many of the barrels which are quite expensive. That kind of catastrophic loss is something that many of them won't be able to recover from, financially speaking. The larger vineyards should be ok, even though they suffered losses too.
    It may be that your sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others.

http://www.timeanddate.com/countdown...eaves%20office

Links