Had to say good bye to my girl

This is a discussion on Had to say good bye to my girl within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Had to say good bye to Lissie this evening. Her actual name was Elisabeth, and was named by my wife. She was adopted from a ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Like Tree160Likes

Thread: Had to say good bye to my girl

VIP Member

Had to say good bye to Lissie this evening. Her actual name was Elisabeth, and was named by my wife. She was adopted from a cat rescue organization here in town, about 12 years ago. She was a long hair Torti and about 6 months old at the time. Wife saw her and fell instantly in love with her. She very seldom meowed, but always had a murr ready for you. It was part of the reason the wife fell in love with her. To be perfectly honest, I didn't want another cat at the time. I told the wife we didn't need another cat. Well needless to say I lost that battle.

It didn't take Lissie long to decide that I belonged to her. She followed me everywhere. She thought my lap was her private sitting spot and she had no problems letting the other cats know it. She wormed her way into my heart and knew that no matter what she did, her Dad loved her. As for the wife, she wanted nothing to do with her. Wouldn't go to her, wouldn't let her pick her up, and if she did, you would swear she was being tortured. In the last year, she did get a little better with the wife, but not much.

This morning when I got up I didn't see her. That was unusual, but not unheard of. But she always met me at the back door when I got home from work. I'd walk in and she'd tell me all about her day. Tonight she wasn't there to greet me. I asked the wife if she had seen her, and she stated she hadn't. Started making the rounds to her favorite spots looking and calling her. Finally got to the spare room upstairs. No sign of her in the normal places. The closet door was open and by chance I looked inside. I found her curled up. She had evidently passed in her sleep. She appeared to have gone peaceably sometime last night or during the day. She had been in good health and full of energy. Guess it was just her time. Tomorrow I will lay her to rest along side my Maggie. They can frolic together awaiting me joining them at the Rainbow Bridge.

I'll miss her greetings, her murrs and her being a little pest. RIP Lissie, until we're united again.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    I am so sorry for your loss , may your beloved cat live in your memories .
    Member of the NRA
    {A}RMS discourage and keep the invader and plunderer in awe, and preserve order in the world as well as property...Horrid mischief would ensue were the law-abiding deprived of the use of them
    1775 Thomas Paine
    Not afraid to live & Not afraid to die .

Sorry for your loss, man.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Distinguished Member Array mr.stuart's Avatar
    It is hard to lose a pet, they are family.
    Pain is the best teacher,but nobody wants to go to his class.

When the past smothers the present, there is only desperation. When the future absorbs the present, life stands still. In either case a decision must be made because you only live now and you are only what you are now.

Sorry for your loss. At least she went peacefully.
    welder516, archer51 and mook012 like this.

Man sorry, but do not want to even think about it. Wally our havanese who has never peed in the house not even once in his life is down to one eye having to eat boiled chicken and most times by the end of the day I carry him to bed. Hard to believe how attached I got to this dog.
    welder516, archer51 and redmc like this.

Distinguished Member
    Sorry to hear of Lissie's passing. Her memory will always be with you. Little reminders will pop up from time to time and make you smile. Our cats and dogs mean so much to us. She left this world in the best way possible. May we all be so lucky.
    I shoot with a pistol and a Canon. We must all hang together amigos, or we will all hang separately. NRA life member.

OD*
    I am truly sorry for your loss.

Rest in peace, Lissie.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, don’t give them a tomorrow."

It's like a hole in your heart. I have a cat we've had for 12 years and she's the same way with me. Sleeps on the bed either on me or up against me every night. Watches football on my lap, and follows me around in the mornings while I get ready. It's amazing the connection and attachment we develop with our pets. They seem to sense our emotions and react to them with unconditional love. They become a big part of us and our lives. I feel your pain, but at least you got to feel the years of joy. You can't change the world, but you changed HER world just as she did yours.
    Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
    No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

Sorry for your loss.
    archer51 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array Wunderneun's Avatar
    Sorry to hear of the loss of your friend.
    archer51 likes this.
    Peace Through Strength, Victory Through Devastation
    Devastation to your doorstep in 30 Minutes or Less. Minuteman III--- SAC WILL BE BACK!http://www.defensivecarry.com/forum/signaturepics/sigpic80391_2.gif

I like all kinds of foreign guns. Walther, SIG-Sauer, and H&K.

Sorry for your loss! As an avid rescue volunteer.. the loss of a pet ( family member) is a hard pill to swallow. My wife and I are rescue workers.. 47 years of wedded bliss with animals most of our life... the pain is horrible when you lose one but those years of love are irreplaceable and those memories live forever.
    PEF, welder516 and archer51 like this.

Sorry to hear that. You gave her a good life she would never have had without you.
    OD* and archer51 like this.
    "Yet this government never of itself furthered any enterprise, but by the alacrity with which it got out of the way... The character inherent in the American people has done all that has been accomplished; and it would have done somewhat more, if the government had not sometimes got in its way."

Funny how those darned animals work their way into our hearts. I'll share this with you, for what it's worth. My story off similar loss (found in the link below). It hurts, I know. And even as I type this the feelings from my own experience bring mist to my eyes. I found the pain lessens, the memories take over, and it gets easier. But you never forget, and that is a good thing.

BMW Car Repair: The loss of my best friend, Goodbye Bear Bear
    welder516 and archer51 like this.
    As Benjamin Franklin left the hall in Philadelphia, he was asked, “What kind of government have you given us, Dr. Franklin?” He replied: “A republic, if you can keep it.”

So sad. It's very hard to lose a pet, after so many faithful years as a member of the family. RIP "Lissie"
    archer51 likes this.
    NRA Life Member
    Live Well, Laugh Often, Defend Yourself

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Sponsored Links