Not sure where this should go...

This is a discussion on Not sure where this should go... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So, here I am, after 35 years I am back in school. I had a stroke in may and it literally changed my life. for ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree55Likes

Thread: Not sure where this should go...

So, here I am, after 35 years I am back in school.

I had a stroke in may and it literally changed my life. for the better. In years to come, I'm going to say that it's the best thing that ever happened to me, although I don't recommend the experience. It was violent--ask sometime and I'll tell ya about it, but it's not something I just wanna post here. Learning to walk again was TOUGH, and for a Marine having two nurses help you shuffle to the head was a chore, but I made it. I "drew" to different things in recovery, pretending that I had a gun in my hand. Starting off--no bull--I was 45 degrees off. Within a week I was on target. I was walking around the ward without three people sacrificing their time to help me, and then I was out.

So here I am, 3 moths later, walking 6 miles a day with the boxer and having enrolled in college to become a physical therapist. I decided on that to honor the people who helped me, and because it's something I could be good at. I finished my first week today. Man, what a culture shock! I've had people shooting at me and it didn't cause the anxiety that potentially missing an assignment does...LOL. The lack of structure is...amazing. How do these people get work done??? <g>

So, for those of you who have done it? My hat is off to ya. For those who have not? Get enrolled. It's worth it.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Senior Member Array Gimme_Coffee's Avatar
    When it comes to strokes, physical therapists do way more to help people than doctors do. Congratulations on what sounds like a fantastic recovery, and for making such a great decision to help others in the same way. I wish you all the best in the world.

Keep on keeping on, Marine.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I have a very strict gun control policy: if there's a gun around, I want to be in control of it.
    Clint Eastwood

Nice. Good job.
    gatorbait51 and OD* like this.

The tyrant dies and his rule is over, the martyr dies and his rule begins. ― The Journals of Kierkegaard

Semper Fi from an old sailor.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I carry a gun, because a Cop is too heavy.

U.S. Army, Retired
    NRA Patron Life Member.

Glad to hear you are doing well. Thank you for your service also.

Part of higher learning is having to create your own structure. It is my firm belief that most of the people that start college have the capacity to make it through intellectually but drop out because they cannot create their own structure.

In our company everyone works from home. Many people can not work from home simply because they cannot structure their work life without an office. As a Marine, you know self discipline. I am sure you will be a great physical therapist.

All the best
    Recon1342 and msgt/ret like this.
    Using Tapatalk

Amazing story. All the best.
    It isnít the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

OD*
    That's great, Dan, the very best of luck to you sir.
    "The pistol, learn it well, carry it always ..." ~ Jeff Cooper

"Terrorists: They hated you yesterday, they hate you today, and they will hate you tomorrow. End the cycle of hatred, donít give them a tomorrow."

Sorry to hear of your 'incident', but congrats on the recovery and the new career direction.
    OD* likes this.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Lead Moderator
    Sounds like you have things under control and are on your way , congrats.
    OD* likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

You can do it. I'm 51 years old and am 3 classes away from a Bachelors in Occupational Safety and Health. If I can do it, you can too. Good luck and God Bless you.
    OD* and ShooterGranny like this.

Distinguished Member
    Congratulations on you making a great choice for your life. Thank you for your service to this country too. I'm very sorry you had to go though a stroke, we never understand why God lets bad things happen in our lives but He always has a plan for the better in the long run. Makes me think of the story of Joseph, he went through horrible things but ended up controlling all the food and saving thousands.

You rock Dan!
    msgt/ret and oneshot like this.
    Matthew 5:44

But I say unto you, Love your enemies, bless them that curse you, do good to them that hate you, and pray for them which despitefully use you, and persecute you;.

~ Jesus ~

Double congratulations: On your Marine courage and determination to recover from that stroke AND on your decision to give pass along the help you received by doing it the hard way: GOING TO SCHOOL! That is a difficult course of study, but you definitely can do it.

Semper Fi from Gramps and thanks for your service from both of us.

P.S. No comparison at all to your recovery process, but after my rotator cuff surgery when going through the really painful therapy I did the same thing with working on my draw. The female therapists thought it was great!
    oneshot and Recon1342 like this.
    Getting old was not on my list of "things to do" in the Golden Years!

==================

Talking to each other here is good, but taking action is better.

VIP Member
    Congratulations on your recovery and returning to school. I had a stroke caused by a bleeder in the left basal ganglia resulting in the total paralysis of my whole right side. There is nothing more terrifying than suddenly one whole side of your body will no longer work. The people in physical and occupational therapy were wonderful; they were able to get me back on my feet and able to take care of myself. The biggest boost was when I was able to return to work. I continued to drive trucks until my health made it too difficult so I decided to return to school and get an Associate’s Degree in Information Technology. Quite a culture shock since I graduated from high school in1968. I got my degree but nobody wanted to hire a 50+ programmer so I just retired instead. Funny thing, I am more active now than I was when I was on a payroll.
    Recon1342 likes this.
    When you have to shoot, shoot. Don't talk.
    "Don't forget, incoming fire has the right of way."

Distinguished Member Array Recon1342's Avatar
    I noticed it too, Dan. Self-discipline is the key to success, and that is something we Jarheads have in spades. Follow the 7 P's and you'll be just fine.
    The Opinion of others I very little regard, & have a thorough Contempt for all men, be their Names Characters & Stations what they may, who appear to be the irreclaimable Enemies of Religion & Liberty.
    -Samuel Adams

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links