My dad

My dad

This is a discussion on My dad within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My dad and his wife were in town this past week visiting (he usually comes out once a year) with my sister and me. He ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My dad

My dad

My dad and his wife were in town this past week visiting (he usually comes out once a year) with my sister and me. He lives in NY and we're in Az. This is really a special visit to me. We were never close when I was young due to his job which required a LOT of traveling. In the last couple of years, independent of each other, we have gotten knee deep into the realm of firearms (well, he has rediscovered them actually). So, when he comes out, I usually take him pigeon hunting and to my range. This last time out I was able to let him shoot my pistols and my new AR. I was then treated to some of his army-days stories that he has never before shared with me. Of how he shot expert in the army and some of the things that went on during his tours. It was a really great time. It's strange how sharing a love of firearms can really make for some father/son bonding moments. He left town today with his wife today and I know I probably will see him next year but, damn, I miss him already.
    Last edited by Packman73; February 25th, 2007 at 12:46 AM.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    It's nice to hear that you recognize the special moments and cherish them.

I am looking forward to many father and son moments with my boy.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    My father and I sort of butted heads constantly while I was growing up. It was only after I finished college and was leaving for active duty that we really began to realize how much we really liked each other. We began a new kind of relationship that lasted for the next 11 years. Right up until his death we shared a different kind of bond.

If you have discovered that bond enjoy it while you can. We don't have them forever.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Stetson's Avatar
    Enjoy the special time when it comes.Always make the time to be
    with them as time passes quickly.When they are gone all we have are memories.

kpw
    That's a great thing to hear, sounds like a fine time. I think Dads get a bad deal sometimes because of their jobs. My Dad always worked a lot. He made time for me but I know it was hard sometimes. There were times he had to miss out on things. As I grew up, he became my best friend as well.

Assistant Administrator
    Good to hear of special times and that you cherish them. That is good because these kinds of memories are irreplaceable.

I had a lot of friction with my Dad right up until I finished college and moved on ........ much of it my fault but not all. Things did tho improve dramatically to the extent that we started meeting up and enjoying friendship - which included shooting aspects. Those were good times.

In later years when he and my Mom visited, by then I was 200 plus miles away with my family - we used to go out in the fields with shotgun each and just walk and talk - often coming back empty handed. Those were good times.

Sadly he got sick slowly and progressively and things changed such that he lost interest in almost everything and he passed in May 1997. I treasure the times we had as I described.

My own kids have had some good times with me over early years - and even now if my son can escape the pressures of work and family - will relish the special closeness that can be enjoyed with a day at the range.

Soak up these times together, however infrequent and brief .......... they are the precious stones no money can buy.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Treasure these times you and he have together now. My dad started me out when I was 5 with a BB gun. We went to a few local shooting matches over the years. He was better with a rifle or shotgun than I was but, I was better with a handgun. I lost both parents in 2002 and still miss them. We never know how long we have with them so again treasure the times you have like this.

Distinguished Member Array lowflyer's Avatar
    About the only thing I have in common with my dad is an interest in firearms.
    Whatever doesn't kill you postpones the inevitable.

Guns, hunting, and fishing were the central themes of my relationship with my dad. The personal bonds we developed were as a result of enjoying those things together, and consequently, enjoying each other.

He's been gone since 1994, and now I'm building my son's interest in shooting and fishing so that hopefully, we'll share a similar bond.

Senior Member Array BruceGibson's Avatar
    In a word? Cool.

VIP Member
    As we discuss this I realize how much I cherish even the bad times with my parents. I recognized long ago that most of the problems we had were a combination of my stubornness and his desire for me to be the best that I could. His love for me stands out as I look back and see how much alike we were in that neither of us was willing to give in. I am often reminded of the statement from Mark Twain:

When I was 14 my father was the dumbest man alive. When I was 21 I was amazed at how much he had learned in just 7 short years.
    I lost my mother in Feb. 1980 and my father in April 1982 and yes, I still miss them. I am thankful for having them with me for 32 and 34 years. Enjoy your time with them it ends all too quickly.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Blessing in Disguise...

All of this conversation about our father's has reaffirmed how blessed I truly am. For almost 5-years now I've been my father's Primary Health Care Provider. My father suffered a sever stroke and other complications from Diabetes including a massive heart attack almost a year ago and I dropped everything to care for him. I work from home and care for him almost 24 hours a day. There's been some hard times and there's been some sad times but all in all it's given me the opportunity to make my peace with him and treasure the relationship we have. The Good Lord has really answered our prayers and he's made a miraculous comeback. Hard to believe everything he's gone through. He's not giving up so easily. Now I can see that everything my father said and did when we (my brother and I) were younger was for our own good. It's almost time for me to move on and let my mother continue my work here with him. I just thank the "Big Man" Upstairs for this blessing in disguise.

I still remember like it was yesterday going out into the South Texas Brushcountry with my father and my brother. Each one of us with a Winchester 94 (30-30) for our first hunt when I was 10. That memory is engraved into my memory and I still hold it close to my heart.

God bless y'all!

Stay Safe!
    Last edited by COWBOYF550; February 25th, 2007 at 10:47 PM.

My dad died rather suddenly from cancer about 3 years ago. I am reminded of him daily when I look in the mirror.

As a kid, there were times when I enjoyed his company, other times when I wished he would just leave me alone. The older I get the more I realize just how much we had in common.

After I got out of the military, I lived in a neighboring city to my folks, and I took it all for granted. Once I left my ex-wife, I moved to the right coast, and missed having them/him around. They moved to the same state, and time and money were always an excuse for us (my wife and I) to not travel often (truth be told, time and money could have always been fanagled).

We had visited two weekends before he went into the hospital, and he had given me all of his guns to clean up. We were going to shoot the weekend of the week that he was admitted. The last thing I was able to say to him was that he was going to be a grandfather.

I remember our last conversation word for word.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    It's funny.

I don't cry ever. Nothing really gets to me, but man.. a good father and son moment on tv or in a movie.... even in a friggin commercial and it's over.

I made the mistake of watching that tribute to Steve Irwin on the Discovery Channel and had to turn it over. His little girl started talking about here dad and .... SNIFF SNIFF.

Guess I'm just a big softy. Call me a wus I don't care.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by a_kayaker View Post
    It's funny.

I don't cry ever. Nothing really gets to me, but man.. a good father and son moment on tv or in a movie.... even in a friggin commercial and it's over.

I made the mistake of watching that tribute to Steve Irwin on the Discovery Channel and had to turn it over. His little girl started talking about here dad and .... SNIFF SNIFF.

Guess I'm just a big softy. Call me a wus I don't care.
    Actually, I'll call you a real man. For it takes a real man to confess he is soft and has feelings. Any idiot can claim to be tough and have no feelings. And I guess some of them don't. I just don't want to have anything to do with them. Real men take responsibility for themselves and their families. Real men are the men who are members here.

Thanks for being a real man.
    George

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links