I finally quit smoking...

This is a discussion on I finally quit smoking... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I smoked my last cigarette last week. I want one now more than ever. I'll be 34 this year and I've been a pack-a-day smoker ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I finally quit smoking...

I finally quit smoking...

I smoked my last cigarette last week. I want one now more than ever. I'll be 34 this year and I've been a pack-a-day smoker for 18+ years. I guess it was time to quit.
    My doctor has me on a patch, a pill, and some nice tranquilizers. I had been on the patch and pill for at least a month before I quit.
    I was tired of being enslaved to the damn things. I was just sick of spending so much money on them! So, I guess I didn't actually quit, I just stopped buying them.
    My Grandfather died a horrible smoking-related death and I didn't want to share a similar fate.
    I know everybody says this but "If I can do it, you can do it!"

Cheers,
    Matt.

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    More power to you Matt - you are wise.

I have been a pipe smoker a long time and have not succeeded - a weak-willed admission.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Congratulations! My wife stopped smoking in Nov. 2000. She quit while in cardiac ICU after her double bypass. Glad you did not wait so long.
    “Dogs offer one of the most stable and enduring friendships on this earth.”

Willard Scott

Good luck. I smoked my last one three weeks ago yesterday. Each day is a triumph. It's great being able to breathe.

The first couple of days I joked with my wife that maybe I oughta leave the gun at home for a while.

Irritable? Hah!

After 49 years of smoking, I am now two years smoke free. I initially put on some weight. Ok, I put on a lot of weight, but now I am losing it at a good clip, and I never want to go back again. Hang in there. You are tough, you can do it. The world smells and tastes so much better!

Stay Safe
    God Bless the USA

Senior Moderator
    Good for you

I've been quit 2 years now. It does get easier
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Senior Member Array Ride4TheBrand's Avatar
    Put the money you save on smokes in a jar... daily... just as if you went by the stop n' rob and bought some.

In two months you can buy another pistol with what you would have blown on smoke!

(it's on my list of things to do)
    "We must remember that one man is much
    the same as another, and that he is best
    who is trained in the severest school."
    ~Thucydides, History of the Peloponnesian War

I quit smoking back on 4th of July weekend, 2 years ago this year. I smoked 2 packs of Marlboro reds and 2-3 packs of Black & Mild cigars DAILY! Yeah...I was a chimney! I quit COLD TURKEY! Threw 'em down and walked away! To say I was quite irritable, is to say Katrina victims were a little damp! But...I whipped it! It took about 2-3 weeks to get it outta my system, but I did it! But...To this day, everytime I walk by someone smoking a Black & Mild, I STILL WANT ONE!

Matt,

Congratulations!!!!

I'm 35 and looking at what I hope and pray will be my last cigarette. I had been smoke-free for three years when I started dating my wife...who is still a chimney. I've "quit" a couple times since then...but I couldn't stand to kiss my wife 'cuz she tasted and smelled like an ash tray. I like pipes, too....but I don't think I can stay off cigarettes if I pick the pipes up...

Of course, my motivation to quit is a little different... [Yes, I'm interested in health...the Doc says he won't do any more cholesterol tests until I quit... ] Ya see...I'm going through a divorce (Finally! A good decision it is, too.... ) and find that none of the women I think I'll be interested in dating in the future want to date a smoker!

Best,
    Michael
    XD9 Service, CZ-75B, Glock 21, Kel-Tec P3AT
    Rifles...yes...and shotguns....and
    "Unofficial Legislative Attache...er...Watchdog...er...Agitator."
    "Yes, I vote...but not for the candidate I prefer: None of the Above."

Thanks for all the positive feedback. I really want one BAD! The wife and are at each others throats right now and I'd just love to light one up (she's quitting too)...but I won't. I think I can hold off as long as my marriage stays together...

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Congratulations!
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

2 years +

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar
    I began smoking shortly after my 18th birthday, out of curiousity.

Ten years later I put them down. I have been smoke free for a year now.

I constantly test my willpower. Most of my friends smoke and I'll pick one up. I don't smoke it, but it feels as familiar in my hand as does my Taurus 92, which I've had since I was 18 or so.

While it's tempting, I don't take that drag.

I used to carry a pack around in my pocket as a constant reminder, but people kept trying to bum them off me. I tossed them into a campfire. I do still carry my Zippo backed up with matches though as having the ability to make fire is a good thing IMO.

Keep up the good work. I know it's hard - about as addictive as heroin - but once you get past that two week mark you'll be easy sailin'.

Josh <><

Congratulations Matt, and to all the others in this thread who have quit. I smoked my last about 17 years ago, cold turkey for me too. I work in health care now and can't believe the number of people who still smoke, knowing what we do now.

Bottom line is you did yourself and everyone who cares about you a big favor! Great job.

Dave.

PS I hope you get things patched up, you both need someone to lean on right now.
    Go beyond that which is required of you...

Stick with it and it will be the best thing you ever did. I quit 6 years ago after about the same amount as you did. You won't regret it and you will smell a whole lot better. Good luck
    George Washington: "A free people ought to be armed."

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links