Anti-gun girlfriend announced she's leaving me, moving out

This is a discussion on Anti-gun girlfriend announced she's leaving me, moving out within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello. I've been in this relationship with a girl for right about two years. We've had many ups and downs, and if the truth be ...

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Anti-gun girlfriend announced she's leaving me, moving out

VIP Member Array peacefuljeffrey's Avatar

Post Anti-gun girlfriend announced she's leaving me, moving out

Hello.

I've been in this relationship with a girl for right about two years.

We've had many ups and downs, and if the truth be told, we were not right for each other but tried to force it to work. It was a mistake. I care about her, but I think any love that was in the relationship, ever, has been gone for a while.

She came into the bedroom yesterday as I was still asleep, sat down and prodded me awake, and announced to me calmly, "I'm moving out." So we sat and talked about it for a while. Later in the day, we argued some (about our old issues).

This is a relationship in which I am strongly pro-gun, and she is anti-gun. Her family are hunters, and she claims to be pro-gun (for that reason) but she's nearly phobic about handguns (two attempts to have her shoot at the range resulted in her nervous withdrawal and steadfast refusal to come to the line and shoot). She has never agreed with me carrying concealed, but had come to accept it as a fact that was not going to change for anybody. (I made that abundantly clear. Love or not, I will not be unarmed. What good is love for someone if you would have to stand by unable to defend her?!)

So she's getting ready to move out in June. I find myself sad, but just like she said she is, I feel liberated. I will not make the same mistake of trying to make a relationship work with a woman who is not pro-gun. My hope would be to find a girlfriend who actually CCWs. I'll settle for one who is neutral, but who can be converted. Oh, and I'll be staying the hell away from vegetarians and wanna-be vegans, too. It's nothing but trouble if you can't sit down to a meal and enjoy the same things.

Expressions of empathy/sympathy are not solicited but expressions of encouragement are welcome.

Thanks for letting me vent.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    Hang in there, PJ. I should dig up that old "10 reasons guns are better than women" gag for ya...

Edit: OK, I dug 'em up. No offense to any of our female posters, obviously, just a little silly humor...

TOP 10 REASONS WHY A HANDGUN IS BETTER THAN A WOMAN:
    10. You can trade an old .44 for two new .22's.*
    9. You can have a handgun at home and another for the road.
    8. If you admire a friend's handgun and tell him so, he will be impressed and let you try a few rounds with it.
    7. Your primary handgun doesn't mind if you have a backup.
    6. Your handgun will stay with you even if you are out of ammo.
    5. A handgun doesn't take up a lot of closet space.
    4. Handguns function normally every day of the month.
    3. A handgun won't ask, "Do these new grips make me look fat?"
    2. A handgun does not mind if you go to sleep after you're done using it.
    AND THE NUMBER ONE REASON A HANDGUN IS BETTER THAN A WOMAN:
    1. You can buy a silencer for a handgun.
    A man fires a rifle for many years, and he goes to war. And afterward he turns the rifle in at the armory, and he believes he's finished with the rifle. But no matter what else he might do with his hands - love a woman, build a house, change his son's diaper - his hands remember the rifle.

Words to live by:

Always take your new girlfriend to the range to go shooting within the first month. That way you can gauge her reaction. If she is less than enthusiastic and hates it DUMP HER IMMEDIATELY.

Life is too short to be miserable

Senior Moderator
    Hang out at a range/gun shop and watch for gals who aren't wearing wedding rings who come shooting or shopping.. That would be a good start.

I don't want to be cruel, however... congratulations! (better to be alone than in the presence of bad company)

Go on and find yourself a good friend to hang out with, let the romance spark out on its own.

Quote Originally Posted by limatunes View Post
    Hang out at a range/gun shop and watch for gals who aren't wearing wedding rings who come shooting or shopping.. That would be a good start.
    NOOOOOO!!!!!

That could just as easily get you in a world of pain.
    My wife always removes her rings before shooting at the range, she doesn't want the recoil to dislodge the stones, she has a lot of $$ tied up in stones.

Put a singles ad in the paper instead, 'Woman needed to clean large quantity of guns - possibly leading to commitment.'
    They love the 'commitment' word...

VIP Member
    Sorry about your situation.

I had a wonderful (long) conversation with a single mom of two who doesn't own guns, but wants to learn and seems to be very pro-gun.

Good luck there!
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Quote Originally Posted by 0.02 View Post
    NOOOOOO!!!!!
    Put a singles ad in the paper instead, 'Woman needed to clean large quantity of guns - possibly leading to commitment.'
    Or maybe,"Woman with large gun collection that is willing to share, possible long term commitment to follow...."

If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Better to be separate and happy than together and miserable. Had I known how much happier I would be without the wife, I would have moved on years earlier.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array Shadowsbane's Avatar
    NOOOOOO!!!!!

Carefull we do have a member or two who is female and loves to clean firearms, but is taken as well.

Sorry to hear bout the breakup friend. Be strong
    Now, we must all fear evil men. But there is another kind of evil which we must fear most, and that is the indifference of good men.

www.Lonelymountainleather.com

Senior Moderator
    NOOOOOO!!!!!

That could just as easily get you in a world of pain.
    My wife always removes her rings before shooting at the range, she doesn't want the recoil to dislodge the stones, she has a lot of $$ tied up in stones.

LOL.. when I go shooting is when I make DARNED sure I'm wearing my wedding rings... I have two sets.. one casual set and my dressy, expensive set. I wear my casual set when I go shooting. I don't want anyone thinking they can muscle in.

Even so, even if the gal isn't wearing a wedding ring and is married, she'll smile, tell you she's married, you'll feel a little awkward for a minute, you'll smile, say your sorry and probably never see each other again.

Whether it's a good idea or bad doesn't really matter... My husband and I didn't meet at a gun range.. we met through a friend and simple conversation showed we had common interests when it came to firearms.

I had the easy part. My last three serious boyfriends (and the not-so-serious ones in between) were all Marines and I have yet to meet a Marine who doesn't like guns.

I think it's a guy who has it a little harder...

What you need to find is a girl who is open minded enough to at least try to understand you and your interests.

The first question you need to ask is not whether or not she likes guns. The first question you need to ask is whether or not she open minded enough to at least consider and research your interests and desires and come into the relationship with a learning, open, accepting and positive attitude. It will help not only with the guns but with any other weird quirks, hobbies and interests you might have.

Keep your chin up Jeff. It took me a mistake to get it right but now I'm with a wonderful woman who appreciates the AR15, FAL, AK and XD Service 9mm she has received as gifts and grins like a little kid each time she gets a new one. There are fine women are out there... you'll find one.
    Semper Paratus (Always Ready)

Jeff,

Communication early on is what will save you and a prospective partner a lot of trouble and pain...I was lucky in that respect...my wife taught martial arts and understands the need for self defense. Maybe that's why she got the ProCarry II for Mother's Day.
    noli nothis permittere te terere...

VIP Member
    Jeff, just give yourself some time and don't force it. She (meaning The Right One) will come when the time is right and the right things will happen to both of you.

In the meantime, forget about changing your board name to TickedOffJeffrey. Bumper will not allow it
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Distinguished Member Array Bob The Great's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by peacefuljeffrey View Post
    My hope would be to find a girlfriend who actually CCWs. I'll settle for one who is neutral, but who can be converted.
    They exist, I promise. Keep your chin up, and your holster on, and you'll find one sooner or later.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Links