Flanders Fields

This is a discussion on Flanders Fields within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Because today is a day for remembering those who didn't return: In Flanders fields the poppies blow Between the crosses, row on row That mark ...

Thread: Flanders Fields

Member Array Detachment_Charlie's Avatar

Flanders Fields

Because today is a day for remembering those who didn't return:

In Flanders fields the poppies blow
    Between the crosses, row on row
    That mark our place; and in the sky
    The larks, still bravely singing, fly
    Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
    We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
    Loved and were loved, and now we lie
    In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
    To you from failing hands we throw
    The torch; be yours to hold it high.
    If ye break faith with us who die
    We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
    In Flanders fields.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    It so happens - very fittingly - I have a loada poppies in bloom right now.

Thx for the verse - it says much

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Great verse. And beautiful poppies.
    “Dogs offer one of the most stable and enduring friendships on this earth.”

Willard Scott

Administrator

Detachment_Charlie

Thanks for posting it.
    I think I posted it last year.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Question

I don't know if this is the right place for this but I want to give all the veterans (including myself) something to think about.
    Some of us lost toes in Korea in order to show the Chinese Army that it's presence was not wanted in Korea. Some of us (my grandfather) lost fingers to a machine gun in WWII to keep Europe from becoming a part of Germany. Some of us made the ultimate sacrifice to keep North Vietnamese from taking over Indochina. Some of us marched and rode through miles and miles of sand to send Saddam Hussein to meet the devil. All of us, voluntarily or involuntarily raised our hands and swore to protect the United States and our Constitution. Some of us returned home and complacently sat back and watched our government be taken over by the aristocratics like Ted Kennedy, George Bush, Hillary and Bill Clinton, Arlen Specter, Nancy Pelosi, Pat Leahy, Diane Feinstein, Sam Brownback and Henry Waxman to name a few and the list could go on forever.
    Year after year we have to worry about losing our Constitutional rights. Why? I didn't volunteer to put my life on the line just to come home and be governed by people who have never sacrificed anything for their country and never will. We have good intelligent people in this country who would do a fine job of governing but they can't get elected because the election rules favor the incumbents; monetarily and otherwise. In an ageless book, one man threw the money changers out of a temple. Maybe its time, under the leadership of us veterans who volunteered once before, for the citizens of the U.S. to throw out the aristocrats in Washington who seem to think they are entitled, not elected, to run our lives.
    Veterans you marched once to save this country, would you be willing to do it again? Some of us are a little long in the tooth and grey around the hairline but we are like the old blind bear in the woods. Approach him with caution because he is still the bear.

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Thanks for posting it.

The author:

http://www.civilization.ca/cwm/remem...nmccrae_e.html

Quote Originally Posted by rudolfofierro View Post
    I don't know if this is the right place for this but I want to give all the veterans (including myself) something to think about.
    Some of us lost toes in Korea in order to show the Chinese Army that it's presence was not wanted in Korea. Some of us (my grandfather) lost fingers to a machine gun in WWII to keep Europe from becoming a part of Germany. Some of us made the ultimate sacrifice to keep North Vietnamese from taking over Indochina. Some of us marched and rode through miles and miles of sand to send Saddam Hussein to meet the devil. All of us, voluntarily or involuntarily raised our hands and swore to protect the United States and our Constitution. Some of us returned home and complacently sat back and watched our government be taken over by the aristocratics like Ted Kennedy, George Bush, Hillary and Bill Clinton, Arlen Specter, Nancy Pelosi, Pat Leahy, Diane Feinstein, Sam Brownback and Henry Waxman to name a few and the list could go on forever.
    Year after year we have to worry about losing our Constitutional rights. Why? I didn't volunteer to put my life on the line just to come home and be governed by people who have never sacrificed anything for their country and never will. We have good intelligent people in this country who would do a fine job of governing but they can't get elected because the election rules favor the incumbents; monetarily and otherwise. In an ageless book, one man threw the money changers out of a temple. Maybe its time, under the leadership of us veterans who volunteered once before, for the citizens of the U.S. to throw out the aristocrats in Washington who seem to think they are entitled, not elected, to run our lives.
    Veterans you marched once to save this country, would you be willing to do it again? Some of us are a little long in the tooth and grey around the hairline but we are like the old blind bear in the woods. Approach him with caution because he is still the bear.
    Totalmente de acuerdo señor. Excellent post.

Links