Planning my own funeral

Planning my own funeral

This is a discussion on Planning my own funeral within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; First of all, there is nothing wrong with me, and I intend to be around for several more years. We buried my mother-in-law earlier this ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Planning my own funeral

Lightbulb Planning my own funeral

First of all, there is nothing wrong with me, and I intend to be around for several more years.
    We buried my mother-in-law earlier this month - she was 95 years old, lived a great life, and was a role model for everyone who met her. She is missed.
    When my parents passed away, they had pre-arranged funeral plans, had already selected the caskets, the burial plots - the whole thing, and everything was paid for for years beforehand. Not so with my mother-in-law. The money issue was never a factor, however it was necessary for the family to make the arrangements. What a horrible, painful ordeal. Funeral homes should be ashamed for what they charge a grieving family. They use emotion, guilt, and hard-sell to pad their pockets, and pretend that they "care". BS.
    Well, it ain't gonna be that way with me, nor will my family have to burden themselves with the details. I know what I want and don't want.
    The casket/coffin rip-off. Why in the world pay several thousand dollars for a fancy container that nobody pays any attention to, and is on view for just a few days??? I PLAN TO BUILD MY OWN. They have coffin kits that are pre-cut, have a large selection of woods and liners, and best of all, you can finish it yourself. For around a thousand dollars max, my coffin will be my choice, my work, and will reflect the real me. I won't be embalmed - the embalming fluids are dangerous on your health. Nor would I consider cremation - I figure it will be plenty hot where I'm going, so why pre-heat???
    Everything will be in clear written English as to each detail from start to finish.

Some may find it strange, but I'm really enjoying the process. I know I'll rest easier knowing that my family won't be burdened, and a funeral home won't get rich at my expense ...........AND I'm coming back as a Colt Commander.

If you're serious about not being embalmed then search for 'Green burials', there is a bit of a sea change (primarily on the left coast) towards eco friendly burials complete with cardboard biodegradable coffins, no chemicals and tree planting on the site.
    Of course you can do all this yourself, same as people have been doing since the dawn of man until relatively recently - or not, as is the case in the third world.

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    I already ...
    + 1

Administrator

I gave my Wife instructions to just tie a meaty beef bone around my leg and let the stray dogs drag me down the alley.
    It doesn't get much cheaper than that.

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer View Post
    I know I'll rest easier knowing that my family won't be burdened, and a funeral home won't get rich at my expense ...........AND I'm coming back as a Colt Commander.
    My wife and I are planning on doing the Thelma and Louise thing(off a cliff in a convertible) at about age 90. I have it all figured out. Now, I just have to convince my wife.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Geezer, be sure to check the laws in your state. Some states require embalming and because of the law that and other of your choices may be ignored. Whatever you choose make sure it complies with the law.

I am also one who wants to be cremated. When I lived in New Orleans I met a family all of whom planned to be cremated. When I asked them why, they said that they did not believe dead people ought to take up space. I found that to be a good argument, so I decided to be cremated too. Now that I am back in Alabama and there is a lot more space available I don't see any reason to change my mind. Dead people still shouldn't take up space.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    A couple of months ago I purchased this software package: Quicken WillMaker plus 2007

It helped me write a will, do a medical power of attorney, and make funeral arrangement wishes (I want to be cremated as well...).
    It's an easy to use document generator package, and it really gives you peace of mind to wrap up those loose ends...
    "I surrounded 'em"- Alvin York

"They're ain't many troubles that a man can't fix with seven hundred dollars and a thirty ought six"- Jeff Cooper

This will sound strange, but as my will is now I am to be stuffed and passed down through the family. I know it is an odd request, but I would like for those generations that I will never meet to see me and be reminded of where they come from.

Quote Originally Posted by wareagleky View Post
    This will sound strange, but as my will is now I am to be stuffed and passed down through the family. I know it is an odd request, but I would like for those generations that I will never meet to see me and be reminded of where they come from.
    You could do that equally well with a photograph.

I've already communicated my wishes. Go ahead and "fire me up" when I bite the dust.

I like the idea of building your own casket - just seems like a shame to put it in the ground where no one can admire the workmanship after you're gone.

I have told friends already that if i get alzheimer's they are to take me out on a boat, go out into internatinal water, lay a chum slick, and put a bullet in my head. The same goes for a funeral, chum slick, and drop me over the side.

As a side note, i had a family decided to have an impromtu funeral on the boat i work on, and i was the unfortunate soul to be on the stern deck smoking when I recieved a good dusting of "grandma". That was a bad day.
    كافر(Infidel)
    He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster. And if you gaze for long into an abyss, the abyss gazes also into you.
    Friedrich Nietzsche, Beyond Good and Evil, Aphorism 146
    German philosopher (1844 - 1900)

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    IMHO the important part is to actually talk to your family. Not only on funeral arrangements but on provisions in the will . A legal will is a fine thing , but nothing backs it up like setting down a group of your heirs and clearly stating Just what you want to go to whom. Clear the air then and there will be much less fussing after your gone when emotions are high and looking for an outlet .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    cardboard biodegradable coffins
    Ditto on that - plus I too choose not to take up space. The whole ''industry'' bothers me a lot, with valuable resources going into fancy schmancy caskets ... what a waste.

I wish to follow the K.I.S.S principle to the max.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    You're taking up space now Chris plus breathing our air.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    oO( are them sandles bio degradable Chris ?? I suspect there is a chance of greenhouse gasses there myself ) LOL .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Sponsored Links