ISP Trooper Killed in My Hometown

This is a discussion on ISP Trooper Killed in My Hometown within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello, This man was shot yesterday. I knew him to talk to and he was a very good guy. I respected him a great deal. ...

Thread: ISP Trooper Killed in My Hometown

Senior Member Array Joshua M. Smith's Avatar

Hello,

This man was shot yesterday. I knew him to talk to and he was a very good guy. I respected him a great deal.

He was not in uniform when shot. Word is he was on vacation and in his private vehicle!

Indiana State Trooper Killed During Traffic Stop

July 6, 2007 05:53 AM

By Jeannie Crofts
    WISH-TV Daybreak

WABASH COUNTY, Ind. - It is a sad day for state police and all law enforcement after losing a trooper in the line of duty. Master Trooper David Rich was shot and killed while helping what he believed was a stranded motorist along U.S. 24 in Wabash County, about 90 miles northeast of Indianapolis.

Master Trooper Rich was on his way home when he stopped to help the stranded driver. That's when the trooper was shot in the chest and killed.

Master Trooper Rich died from a single round from a shot gun. Troopers say he was shot by a 21-year old Michigan man who was in the SUV that Master Trooper Rich had stopped to help.

"He was currently on his way home, we believe, when we speculate he stopped to help a disabled motorist, and of course he was shot," said Sgt. Tony Slocum, ISP.

The suspect, Joseph Vultaggio Junior of Gaylord, Michigan, allegedly reloaded the shotgun, and then took his own life.

In a news conference late Thursday night, co-workers described Master Trooper Rich as a man who would do anything for anyone.

"I think Dave was probably the nicest person I've ever met in my life. He would give you the proverbial shirt of his back. If that guy needed help, he would have given him his shoes, his pants, he would have done anything to help him, just as he's done here on many occasions at the post," said Sgt. Slocum.

"It's a tragedy that we will continue to work through, he was an excellent person that would do anything, he was a good investigator, a good officer, and definitely a great father and family member," said Cpt. Ed Schroder.

Master Trooper Rich is survived by his wife, a seven-year old-daughter and four-year-old twin sons. He comes from a family of law enforcement. His father is a retired Indiana state trooper, and his brother is currently a captain with the state police.
    http://www.wishtv.com/global/category.asp?c=1506

Josh <><

VIP Member
    Absolutely awful! Prayers for comfort and strength for his family and friends.

Rest in peace, Master Trooper Rich.

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Speechless...

My condolences.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Assistant Administrator
    Master Trooper Rich is survived by his wife, a seven-year old-daughter and four-year-old twin sons.
    Horror ..... hard to find words at all. Senseless and that poor family.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Our thoughts are with his family and friends.

"Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends." - John 15:13
    ~ Randy W. -- G27 & LCP

" If freedom is right and tyranny is wrong, why should those who believe in freedom treat it as if it were a roll of bologna to be bartered a slice at a time?" Sen. Jesse Helms

Sponsored Links