Made up my mind

This is a discussion on Made up my mind within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well I finally made up my mind on all this cancer stuff. my surgeon said he was 99% sure he got all of the cancer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Made up my mind

Made up my mind

Well I finally made up my mind on all this cancer stuff. my surgeon said he was 99% sure he got all of the cancer and gave me a 50/50
    chance it wouldn't come back. I have to see him once a month for the next year so we can keep a watch on it , taking radition would add 20% to the chances but the side effects just plain suck the same with chemo so as I am 62 right now and finall starting to feel alive again I figure i'll just ride it out and see what happens. Now the good stuff I was having trouble with shooting my 40cals .Sig 229 and Glock 27 so I went to the gun store for a traiding day finally wound up with a new Glock 26 9mm with NS and a new Glock 21 45acp plus 2 extra mags each and NY1 triggers installed (I use NY1 triggers in all my Glocks just works better for me) I took both shooting and had a great time the 45 just pushes and the 9mm recoil is next to nothing
    since my opreation my right arm is still a little stiff and weak so the snap of the 40cal was a little to much., I was already carring a Glock 19 so now I guess I am a Glockaholic. (Still like my Sig 220 for winter carry)

God bless our Brothers and Sisters in the sandbox

Out for now
    Sky

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Hi Sky - I think I would also be following your way of thinking on that - much as anything because quality of life is so important. Maybe even more so, over the finer points of mere longevity.

Seems like steering clear of the 40 is a good move with that arm aspect - the 9 and 45 mix should serve you fine.

God bless our Brothers and Sisters in the sandbox
    A big ditto and amen to that.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

DC Founder
    I can't argue with your decision at all. I made exactly the same decision and now, after 5 years, have been declared "cured". I know several people that have recently undergone chemo and/or radiation and although the treatments were considered successful, their general health declined significantly. It seems to leave you weak and tired for at least a year or more. Don't get me wrong, if the doctor wasn't sure they got it all or other factors were known, I would take the treatments required to give me the best odds. I absolutely would insist on monthly CA blood tests to find out early if it did happen to come back. They aren't foolproof, but it sure as heck couldn't hurt.

I wish you luck and keep us informed.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Thanks Guys

Thanks Bumper, I thought long and hard before I made up my mind
    I have a lot of faith in my surgeon he is one of the best and says he will keep a very close watch. Congradulations on your 5yr mark thats great to hear.

P95, your are right life is to much fun to slow down now.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Well congrats on the decision ( right or wrong you can quit fretting now ) , and condolences on your new found glock addiction .. IMHO its sad to see an a fella start having " senior moments " on handgun selection .

Nahh i am just giving ya a bit of static .. the 9 / .45 combo will serve you well , I went that route when i pretty much gave up magnums due to joint pain .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

good for you!

enjoy life!

(if it is alright with you, I'll send one more prayer that the Doc got it all - and it never comes back)

skysoldier,

I read your post with interest, probably because I have been through a lot of the same thinking myself recently.

My cancer was Hodgkins Lymphoma, located in the left abdomen and groin area. Surgery removed the largest tumor that was the size of a lemon. Three other smaller ones were tucked up inside the intestines and surgery would have been very difficult.... so radiation was suggested. The Oncologist thought 25 treatments would take care of it, the Radiation Oncologist upped that to 40 treatments.

Those 40 treatments made me and left me sicker than my worst nightmares would have ever imagined. The side effects of 'radiation recall' are still recurring on a regular basis.... over a year later. I can't tolerate heat very well, and that's a big problem in Texas in the summer. It sure limits a lot of my activities, and has caused out monthly electric utility bill for the air conditioning to skyrocket so I can be comfortable.

Going back to the Oncologist on Monday to get set up for another PET Scan. The last two have been negative. I've already made up my mind that if this one is different, I do not want radiation again. I'd do chemo, but not radiation.

Through all the treatments, one factor has to be considered, and I think a lot of doctors overlook it... quality of life. I'm only 58 and have a lot of things I still want to do, but the cancer, radiation, and side effects have totally eliminated a year of my life. I feel that eventually it will come down to a choice of living life, or extending life.... especially so if the cancer returns.

Tough choices all the way around.

Dave T, I was wondering what happened to you I even posted to see if any body had heard from you. Sound like you have been through the worst of the worst, my cancer was in the lymph nodes in my and a small spot under my tongue and after surgery all the radition would have been in my neck and mouth and like I said the side effects sounded horrible and from what you say I made the right choice. I guess we just have to keep on trucking and hope for the best. Good luck on Monday let us know what the doc says. PS looks like you are a Glock guy too!!

Sky

Thanks sky, I appreciate the thoughts and concern. It's been tough, but at least I'm still around. I don't post a lot, seems like every time I get ready to reply to something, several others have already said what I was going to say....

The effects of so much radiation are long lasting, and can not be minimized. Life as it was before the cancer and radiation is gone and I don't believe it can ever be the same again. But.... just as in 'Nam so long ago, we adapt and overcome so we can continue on with the mission.

I wish nothing but the best for you, my friend.... us 'old Glockers' need to stick around to make sure all the young'uns get educated proper, LOL !

Amen Brother!!

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Skysoldier, no one but you can say what it right for you. I think that is the option I'd choose also. I haven't got to 60 yet, but I've done the things that needed to be done. Now I'm working on doing the things I want to do. Don't get me wrong I'm not looking to catch the next bus out of here. I just don't feel any obligations since my kids can do quite well on their own now.

AnimalKracker, like you I am in no hurry but I was lucky the only job I ever liked was the Army and I got to spend 26 years doing it, I raised 3 kids and ever sent them all to collage (Wife was working to) so now after only bring retired 2 years it seemed like everything came at once. My wife had bladder cancer but we caught it early and she made a complete recovery then mine turned up. So now we are just going to live everyday to the max and what ever happens happens.

SkySoldier and DaveT...

I do read the above posts with sincere interest and wish you both well. I too, have had cancer cells cut out, several organs removed, and a blood infection that nearly killed me (all during the last 18 months)...and I'm only 60.

Because of my own minor setbacks and the more serious conditions of some of my close friends, I understand some of the emotional issues that you each must deal with...

Each check-up is another anxiety attack (sort of)...

I don't know either of you, but you are both in my thoughts and prayers...I have a special list for DC members...

May you both live to see your great-great grandchildren...married off!

Sincerely...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Guys I pray for a long and happy life with the ones you love, for each and every one of you that have posted here on this thread. Y'all have busted you humps taking care of duty and commitments. Now I hope you can enjoy being a older and smarter teenager again.

Thanks retsupt99 and AnimalKracker. I'm sure skysoldier feels the same way, it's a blessing to have other men to share this stuff with at times. Your thoughts, concern, and especially the prayers are appreciated so very much.

The 40 radiation treatments in my abdomen and groin area left me with a pretty bad case of radiation neuropathy (sp?). Nerve damage in my right foot makes it feel like it's frozen all the time and has that constant 'pins and needles' feeling. Waiting for medication to kick in so I can get some sleep.

I have a goal that helps me to get on with life, despite all the negative stuff. My 22 year old son will be attending a 6 month Police Academy starting in September, and with my background in Police work, it sure would make me proud to be the one to pin his badge on him at the graduation ceremony.

So, I'm hanging in there day by day, and taking one day at a time. Monday's visit with the Oncologist will certainly bring on an appointment for another PET scan because he's going to be real concerned when I tell him that the lymph nodes on both sides of my throat are swollen and painful. That just started a few weeks ago. I've been warned all through the cancer and treatments that it could return, and the first two years after remission are the ones to watch. It's not even been a full year since the treatments ended, so I can't honestly say that I'll be surprised if the results confirm the worst.

Oh well.... until I get the test results, I'll continue to think positive !

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links