Where to go? What to do?

This is a discussion on Where to go? What to do? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well I'm 21 years old. I've got a GED,and went through cosmetology school. I used to also restore cars. I've got 4 screws in back,since ...

Thread: Where to go? What to do?

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar

Where to go? What to do?

Well I'm 21 years old. I've got a GED,and went through cosmetology school. I used to also restore cars. I've got 4 screws in back,since iw as abotu 13...car accident when I was 17, I found myselfh having knee surgery as a result of this car accident just after graduating from cosmetology school. My plan,and backup plans have no failed. I find myself with no education, working my fingers to the bone doing retail hours as a Automotive service writer. I make good money,and have alot of room to move up, but I need a real job. I can't stay on my feet like this, my ankles swell at night now,and my back hurts worse than ever. I feel hopeless, futureless. I just feel like 'blogging' so to speak. I often think the worst part of being in my health is that I can fairly normally,and operate (in major pain) fairly normally.

I also have a terminal illness. I get hematomas(sp), loose joints, easy injuring,swell up real bad...major joint paint,and early arthiris. Its called Ehlers Danolos.

Well this is my mini-blog. I feel somewhat emptyed,its nice to type whats on your mind sometimes.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array AnimalKracker's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Well I'm 21 years old. I've got a GED,and went through cosmetology school. I used to also restore cars. I've got 4 screws in back,since iw as abotu 13...car accident when I was 17, I found myselfh having knee surgery as a result of this car accident just after graduating from cosmetology school. My plan,and backup plans have no failed. I find myself with no education, working my fingers to the bone doing retail hours as a Automotive service writer. I make good money,and have alot of room to move up, but I need a real job. I can't stay on my feet like this, my ankles swell at night now,and my back hurts worse than ever. I feel hopeless, futureless. I just feel like 'blogging' so to speak. I often think the worst part of being in my health is that I can fairly normally,and operate (in major pain) fairly normally.

I also have a terminal illness. I get hematomas(sp), loose joints, easy injuring,swell up real bad...major joint paint,and early arthiris. Its called Ehlers Danolos.

Well this is my mini-blog. I feel somewhat emptyed,its nice to type whats on your mind sometimes.
    Man, I do feel for you. Sometimes people need to take a look around and see how well we really are. Speaking for myself, at times I get down about how I'm getting stiff and a whole lot less flexible and stove up with arthritis. But I'm almost 52 and have had a very good life in all. I come across a post about a young man that deals with more pain and hardship than I do and it is a eye opener. Thank you for posting this, and I do hope things become better for you. It's obvious that you do not give up.

Thanks, I appreciate your post. Sometimes I bruise easily enough that after shooting (cough p3at) even the bottom of my trigger finger is sore from the trigger shroud smacking it. Oh well, I hate the fact I can't even go shopping with my fiancee without major pain, but I am blessed to have her.

I'm slightly depressed,we've been living in my house together since janurary,shes moving back in with her parents to goto school full time,wich is grea,tbut it seems so empty without her in here,I'll miss the little things.

"To blame a gun for a mans decision is to foolishly attribute free will to an inanimate object"- Colion Noir.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghettokracker71 View Post
    Thanks, I appreciate your post. Sometimes I bruise easily enough that after shooting (cough p3at) even the bottom of my trigger finger is sore from the trigger shroud smacking it. Oh well, I hate the fact I can't even go shopping with my fiancee without major pain, but I am blessed to have her.

I'm slightly depressed,we've been living in my house together since janurary,shes moving back in with her parents to goto school full time,wich is grea,tbut it seems so empty without her in here,I'll miss the little things.
    Actually, shooting a P-3AT will hurt ANYONE's finger...

Sorry to hear of your problems...
    I have been at death's door on two occasions...but I'm still here.
    No matter what the condition, things could always be worse...and for others it is...
    Make the most of what you have, and refuse to focus on the negative...
    I wish you well!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

If anyone's interested I have a section on my forum for chronic pain. So far I'm the only one that posts there and my wife is the only one that reads it, it'd be nice to have some company.

It's not really set up to be a place to complain nor is it to compete with Defensive Carry. It's a place to speak your mind, and encourage each other. Sometimes it's nice to know you're not the only one. Unfortunately the only people who can understand chronic pain are those who have to deal with it.

Once you register and the account activated (I still do it manually) you can join the chronic pain group.

Forum.Christianstuff.com

Holdcard
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

JD
    Administrator
    My company offers paid internships, pays for your college and books during the program, all you need to do is work for the company for one or two years after graduation. We work mainly on electroncis and software.

PM me if you want some more details, we're located in Lynchburg

I would recommend you try to get a grant to go back to school. 21 is young, I went to college at 25 and got my bachelors degree at 29. The military paid for my degree, but I am sure you should be able to qualify for some sort of financial aid. Good luck! I am glad you haven't given up and gone the welfare route. These days you need a degree...all the good jobs have been sent overseas.

I am real sorry to hear about your health and general feelings. If you have the time and the energy I would suggest some thoughts on higher education. My wife who graduated from cosmetology school out of high school found herself unable to continue working in that field due to health issues. She was young (your age) and faced similar questions, what to do. Part time college for 8 years at night when I got home from work to take care of the kids got her, her degree and today is a working professional. I know this can't change your health issues but education can change your financial future. Keep your head up!

Well, I know of a career field that does not require higher education just the ability to put some numbers into basic formulas and solve them. That and a little common sense and a little intuitive geometry and you can look at NDT. Non destructive testing. I used to do a bit of it as a commercial marine surveyor. The field is chronically short of help (the last figures I saw were an average of 30% understaffed). You start at the bottom and it may be field work or bench work depending on the companies specialty. I'd look for bench work with your health issues unless you really like crawling around out doors! This includes ultrasonic thickness gaging, ultrasonic flaw detection, coating thickness gaging, weld testing, magnafluxing and more and also a whole subspecialty of equipment calibration and repair.

As you gain experience and certification the pay can get to be pretty good. Quite frankly it can often be better than what many college degrees will get you after a while, especially if you get good enough to go it on your own.

See if there are any NDT outfits in your area and talk to them about the career field. They are usually pretty good folks. High demand in aerospace, shipbuilding, high tech fabrication, racing, etc. They're all over just usually never in the spotlight. They even have a national organization that loves to help people interested in the field.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Thanks for all the support. I surprised myself when I was getting my GED how much I enjoyed the math part considering how much I used to dispise math. I think I could use a job thats mixed up and down. I have alot of interest in engineering,and etc. I know I don't have the paitence to deal with 8 years of parttime college just yet, I need to be able to do something withint 2/4 years for now,then I can always build up.

I think summer semester what I want to do (I'll be more settled in the new job,and used to not living with Amanda. ) is take introduction to IT systems at the local community college.

One thing I should add, I've never had a fear of failure before. I've always considered myself somewhat successful in that things I tryed hard in,I usually could firgure out/do well in (E.G. learning about cars, firearms,etc.) but for some reason b/c cosmetology school catastrophe, I'm scared to goto school. My parents suggested taking ONE class,and proving to myself I can get through college.

Assistant Administrator
    One thing I should add, I've never had a fear of failure before.
    That to me is a plus for you - something to build on. We all I expect have failed at something over time but picking up and moving on is essential.

Your health issues must suck - and tho different I can identify somewhat. I am ancient - well feel it at 62. I have arthitic problems which give me constant back aches and pain episodes plus - not much I can do involving standing that is much good as I suffer quickly for excesses. Ruins my hobbies even at times. Sitting too has its moments.

So - you have already actually done quite a lot and achieved quite a lot even tho right now you are in the doldrums. You will find better if motivation wins over depression ... easy to say - harder to do.

Even blowing smoke helps sometimes and so even here you have an audience and a few suggestions. Meaning - you are not alone and that helps sometimes to crawl out of the real low points. Hang in there and know you have a few cyber friends here - not a huge help but better than solitary desperation!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    I've been to the doorstep of hopeless, the futureless, and even knocked on the door of "I don't want to live anymore."

While Death was answering my knock, I got a peek through that door and didn't like what I saw. Just when I was ready to welcome it, something inside of me snapped. Something big, something filled with emotions I thought I could never feel at a time like that: anger, at what was happening to me and at myself for being weak enough to allow it; determination, not only to survive, but to fight my way back; appreciation, for life and everything that it had given me and taught me, not only the good, but also the bad; and hope, that I would survive, I would get out, and I would succeed.

The good thing (if there is such a thing) about being that low, is that everything from there is gravy.

Unlike you, before that day I never saw myself as a success. I saw myself as a complete failure. I thought I had nothing to live for.

After that I decided that ME was a pretty good thing to live for.

It's been only about five years since then, but it feels like it was a lifetime ago. Since then, I've gotten married, I've had several successful jobs, I've been to college, and counseling, but mostly I've made a lot of shifts in my mindset and in my way of thinking. It hasn't been easy and it's been a long hard and slippery road, and I'm nowhere near the top, but I can get satisfaction with how far I have come.

I wish I could give you an exact formula for how to change your life for the better. As my mother used to say, "I wish I had a magic wand and I could shake it and make all the pain go away," but I can't. All I can do is say that I'm here for you, just like everyone else here. You have friends here who will at least stand by you while you find your way out of this.

We can help point the way sometimes, but unfortunately it's you who has to do the traveling, as hard as it can be sometimes. At least, on the road, you can look around and see familiar screen names.

Links