Hey, folks.

Hey, folks.

This is a discussion on Hey, folks. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's been awhile. Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. I'm sure they helped. Sorry to have been away, so long. I can't ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey, folks.

Hey, folks.

It's been awhile. Thank you all for your well wishes and prayers. I'm sure they helped. Sorry to have been away, so long.

I can't sleep, and i've been meaning to drop by, and this seemed like a good opportunity.

Heh, things have changed, around here. The place has changed, and grown, but the names and faces are familiar. Looks nice. Feels a little like home.

I can't shoot, anymore (at least, not my weapon of choice). Rotator cuff injuries to both shoulders are a by-product of the kidney disease. I'm hoping muscle mass will return once I have my transplant. Speaking of which, I met a lady on the internet who decided she wanted to donate to me. In late June, I went to New York and brought her down for testing. Unfortunately, we didn't match, so the transplant center tried to match us up with other couples who had a similar situation, to arrange a swap: my donor would give her kidney to them, and their donor would give a kidney to me. None of the available couples were medically-cleared to give to me, so that didn't work. My donor was STILL willing to donate to someone else. It is called a variance donation, and if she would donate to someone else in my name, the transplant center would move me to the top of the waiting list for the next available perfect kidney. On 9/4, my donor donated a kidney to a stranger on the list, and the center made me the top priority candidate on the waiting list. They told me I could get my kidney in anywhere from 1-65 days. Much better than the 2-3 more years I might have had to wait, assuming I made it that far.

So, I am liable to get the call from the transplant center at any moment. Very exciting.

Less exciting was my employer's reaction to the news of a firm date for the donation and my being on call to go out on sick leave for 8-12 weeks. I was invited to resign prior to the month in which the donation was to occur. It's ok. It was a gun unfriendly workplace, anyway, and I was the last man standing from my division. So, I think things will work out well. Transformative experiences have a way of happening. So, I found myself without a job, and the effective date just happened to be the date of the donation surgery. Amazing.

All in all, I am doing well. My older daughter graduated from high school in June, 20th in her class, and got a full scholarship (tuition, fees, room and board) to one of the top forensic science programs in the country. She is studying forensic biology and psychology, and plans to become a profiler. Needless to say, I am proud of my not-so-little girl. My younger daughter is in her senior year and doesn't know yet where she wants to go.

I am still supporting Greyhound rescue and adoption. I lost one of my hounds, suddenly, in April, but I still have two beautiful Greys.

And I still think about you guys. I will definitely be around more often, now (hey, I actually posted!). My world had shrunk, of necessity, to work and home. It was taking more and more of my energy just to do the basics of keeping a job and taking care of the family, as I approached end-stage renal failure. Remove the job from the equation and life becomes a lot more free, in some respects. LOL.

Being able to carry again is my official goal for post-transplant recovery. I will be working towards that. It's going to take a lot of work - I've lost a lot of muscle mass. I'm looking forward to it! Besides, Gary owes me a MaxCon VI, so, I have to have a reason to wear the rig.

And, again - a heartfelt thanks to each and every one of you who have kept me in your thoughts and prayers. You have no idea how much it means to me.

- tom
    - Tom
    You have the power to donate life.

DC Founder
    Welcome back, Tom! We're all very glad to have you back with us. We'll all keep praying that your donated kidney comes your way very soon!

Keep us posted as you have time available, we've all been worried about you.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Welcome back...
    We all hope things will improve quickly for you...and soon!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Good to hear from you, Tom! It's very unfortunate that you have to deal with your current employer's lousy attitude on top of everything else. The variance donor programs are doing amazing things to bring people together. Hope everything will work out well and you're back with us more often.
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

VIP Member
    Good to hear from you Tom...you are still in my prayers. Good luck, sir....check in with us when you get the donated kidney.

Congrats too to your daughter.
    USAF: Loving Our Obscene Amenities Since 1947

Assistant Administrator
    TOM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What a pleasant surprise to see your post today. Indeed yes many of us have been keeping you in our thoughts a lot and it is really wonderful to see you back here again.

A mixed bag of news it seems but overall very encouraging and the prospects are looking good. The donor lady in NY sounds like one very noble and altruistic individual - amazing.

I look fwd to ''seeing'' you here a bit more and that'll mean too we can better stay up to date on your progress. Thx for the post Tom ... makes my day.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Senior Moderator
    Glad your back Tom

Help everything goes well
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Welcome back. Hope you get that call very soon. Hang in there, we're all pulling for you. Still in our prayers.

Tom! Welcome back! It's great to hear all of the wonderful news from you! Know you focused on staying well, and getting ready, so just keep the attitude up! We're pulling for you!

VIP Member
    Tom, you have made my day, nay my week. It is so good to hear from you. You continue in my prayers and now that you are at the top of the list I will add a more specific prayer for an early date for transplant.

I look forward to hearing of your surgery and recovery. The employer situation is a bummer. That will be another specific request during my prayer time.

Congratulations on your daughter's graduation, scholarship, etc. I know that is a load relieved for you. Keep us informed of her progress as well.

We await your return to full health and regular posting.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Really glad to have you back Tom! This family missed you. Keep us updated!
    John
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Senior Member Array mech1369dlw's Avatar
    I really hope everything turns out good for you. 4 years ago, they cut my right kidney out, 3 golf ball sized "spots" were found. The C word. Got only 1 now, they keep a close eye on me to make sure the other one doesn't crap out or get cancer in it. So far, so good. It hasn't slowed me down much, in fact, now I go by the saying, "pull down your pants and slide on the ice". I try not to think about the other one going bad. Good luck to ya. Will say a little prayer for you.
    A person is justified in the use of deadly force, if such person reasonably believes deadly force is necessary to prevent imminent death or great bodily harm to such person or a third person.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    Tom,

Glad to see you back on the board, sorry I'm late joining this thread.

Best wishes and continued prayors for a transplant to come through soon.

Mike
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Gods speed Tom, good luck with the new organ.
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

Welcome back, Tom!
    Thanks for the update - EVERYONE'S been so concerned and worried and trying to reach you....it's a joy to hear from you!

Keep us posted and we'll keep praying for a full recovery!
    It's not about the caliber you carry, it's about how you USE it.

Acts 4:12
    (Mohammad Who?)

1988 DIE HARD 2008
    NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links