Interview went great- how is OR?

This is a discussion on Interview went great- how is OR? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Had an interview yesterday. I had talked to this company at my schools career fair, then had a phone interview which went great. The only ...

Thread: Interview went great- how is OR?

Had an interview yesterday.
    I had talked to this company at my schools career fair, then had a phone interview which went great.
    The only real concern that I had with this company was it looked like all newly grads had to go through a 2 year "management development program". and it looked like they were gonna move you around alot and i probably couldnt start out in portland, or (where their headquarters are and the only plant i would wanna work at) .
    So i go to this interview not expecting to much.
    It started out great cuz the guy and I had a lot in common. he had also lived a yr in germany so we chatted in german for a little while.
    so we talked about some random stuff. he didnt ask ANY interview questions and i was kinda confused.
    Then he told me that I could be a 'direct hire' and that he would sent my info to the people in portland and that they will call me next week about flying me out there for a plant tour / interview / figure out what job i would like .
    The rest of the "interview" was them telling me to make sure i contact them IMMEDIATELY if i get any offers or are considering any other jobs. And if ___ (their competitor) contacts me about a job , that i should tell them that they got me first.
    and that was my interview.
    yet in the packet they gave me, there were like a list of questions and scenarios and such.
    what im pretty sure happened was that they are the people who hire recent grads to go into their crappy program, and they thought i was good enough to skip the program and just start working as an engineer

Anyway so here is my question. Does anyone live in or around Portland, OR? I have never been in that area of the country.

I also had another interview today (phone interview) with a company in Duluth MN that went well (but not quite like the other one).
    I think I would rather live in Duluth, but would like the job in Portland better.
    any comments?

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    Had an interview yesterday.
    I had talked to this company at my schools career fair, then had a phone interview which went great.
    The only real concern that I had with this company was it looked like all newly grads had to go through a 2 year "management development program". and it looked like they were gonna move you around alot and i probably couldnt start out in portland, or (where their headquarters are and the only plant i would wanna work at) .
    So i go to this interview not expecting to much.
    It started out great cuz the guy and I had a lot in common. he had also lived a yr in germany so we chatted in german for a little while.
    so we talked about some random stuff. he didnt ask ANY interview questions and i was kinda confused.
    Then he told me that I could be a 'direct hire' and that he would sent my info to the people in portland and that they will call me next week about flying me out there for a plant tour / interview / figure out what job i would like .
    The rest of the "interview" was them telling me to make sure i contact them IMMEDIATELY if i get any offers or are considering any other jobs. And if ___ (their competitor) contacts me about a job , that i should tell them that they got me first.
    and that was my interview.
    yet in the packet they gave me, there were like a list of questions and scenarios and such.
    what im pretty sure happened was that they are the people who hire recent grads to go into their crappy program, and they thought i was good enough to skip the program and just start working as an engineer

Anyway so here is my question. Does anyone live in or around Portland, OR? I have never been in that area of the country.

I also had another interview today (phone interview) with a company in Duluth MN that went well (but not quite like the other one).
    I think I would rather live in Duluth, but would like the job in Portland better.
    any comments?
    Well, if have any follow up interviews, and ask if YOU have any questions, I would not ask about their 'gun policy'...

Good luck with the (either) job process...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

yea i know i wont.
    i might ask to see their employee handbook before i accept any offer
    (not that i would say no because of that reason, but still)

DC Founder
    I guess the question you have to ask yourself is do you "live to work" or "work to live"? In other words, is it more important to you that you really like your job or is a job simply what provides you with the means to live your life the way you want on your personal time. I have been in jobs that I loved but hated the place and I have been in places I loved, but hated the job. I have been happier when I picked the latter.

I would, though, recommend sitting down with a map and figuring out where you ideally want to live that has the kind of job you want and then scouring that market for the right job. It's important that when you reach retirement age that you be able to look back on both your personal and work-related life and be satisfied.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member
    Oregon is a real nice place to live...no sales tax here!

Quote Originally Posted by friesepferd View Post
    Does anyone live in or around Portland, OR?
    Yes, I'm in the Portland area.

Describe what you're looking for in a place to live, what moves you, what irks you, how far you'd prefer to commute (each way), and so on. Perhaps indicate in which part of the city the new job is located. With a bit more info, I'm sure some good comments and suggestions could be made.

Basically, Portland's a good-sized city in the midst of some pretty wild land. 30-40mins driving in any direction can take you into the woods or mountains, depending where you start from. A lot of outdoorsy types live here, given the large number of outdoor activities available (while still having an economy to drive careers). Having lived in a very small community for decades prior to moving here, I am well aware of some of the tradeoffs. Got questions? Fire away.
    Your best weapon is your brain. Don't leave home without it.
    Thoughts: Justifiable self defense (A.O.J.).
    Explain: How does disarming victims reduce the number of victims?
    Reason over Force: The Gun is Civilization (Marko Kloos).
    NRA, SAF, GOA, OFF, ACLDN.

Administrator
    I've only spent a little time in OR, but I wouldnt move there in a drop of a hat. Lots of outdoorsy type stuff to do, its a very nice part of the country.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Oregon is a nice place. Portland is a nice city. I say go for it! I grew up in Washington but we'd go down to Oregon to ski or to shop from time to time. Its a pretty big city but not too bad - pretty good people. Nothing like the East Coast. There are mountains nearby in a couple directions and its a couple hours (IIRC) from a nice stretch of beach in the Cannon Beach area. The downside of moving across the country is families/relationships etc... of course. Family will always be there, relationships it could put to the test. I say go for it.

Austin

From a gun rights standpoint I think Oregon is pretty darn good (my parents live there). However, I have heard that the City of portland has the Left Coast mentality so you might want to commute from a different county that is near by. Those who live in oregon may be able to confirm or deny this, but that is the word I hear when I am visiting southern oregon.
    Lex et Libertas — Semper Vigilo, Fortis, Paratus, et Fidelis!

"Not only do the people who put their lives on the line to protect the rest of us deserve better, we all deserve better than to have our own security undermined by those who undermine law enforcement." -Thomas Sowell

Greetings - Over a year ago I moved from LA to a small community outside of Portland in Clackamas County - GREAT place to live that is well away from the extreme left-wing "Keep Portland Weird" crowd - which is doing a good job of just that with violent (but localized) groups that burn SUVs at night and try to destroy businesses they don't like with aggressive picketing and vandalism.

But that is usually of little concern. Portland overall is a great place with fantastic Jazz and Blues bands and local festivals ,and the best beer on the planet with over 30 excellent local microbreweries. There are great schools, marvelous parks, outstanding fishing, hunting, and skiing - and LOTS of rain.

I carry in Oregon primarily because of violence by predatory illegals (Sorry, but the crime stats make this very clear) which are pretty much confined to a few areas such as Gresham.

If you like wonderful people, great music and beer, the outdoors, and would like to live an area where American values are still largely intact - I think you will like Oregon.

Whatever you decide, here's the best to you.

Sponsored Links