Accepted into local Police Academy!

This is a discussion on Accepted into local Police Academy! within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey y'all well I just got word that I've been accepted into the local Police Academy. The next session begins March 31st. For the past ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Accepted into local Police Academy!

Accepted into local Police Academy!

Hey y'all well I just got word that I've been accepted into the local Police Academy. The next session begins March 31st. For the past 6 years I've been working from home (Advertising Account Exec.) while caring for my father who suffered a severe stroke (along with other complications). Well, against all odds and by The Grace of God. My father is finally at a point where he doesn't require as much medical attention as had previously been the case. He'll continue to receive the care he needs from other family member but not to the degree that had been demanded of before hand. I just turned 29 (in October) and it's funny how life works out. When my father became ill I was going to school part time and working as a musician. Upon receiving his diagnosis which wasn't very good at all. The doctors who had been attending to my father had basically concluded that there was no more help they could offer him and to go ahead and make final arrangements and say good bye. He spent a week in the nursing home and once I saw the care that he had been given there I took it upon myself to bring him home and care for him myself while working via the Internet for a family business. If it were true that those were going to be his last days I'd be damned if I was going to let him die in some Nursing Home surrounded by strangers with his last meal being Jello. He deserved to be in his house, which he worked hard for in the company of his family who loves him dearly. This way my mother could continue to work until her retirement and my brother could continue with his musical career. The years passed and we've (my family and I) have had our ups and downs dealing with my father's medical condition. Now my mother is retiring, my brother went on to win 5 Grammy Awards. He left the band earlier last year after accomplishing all of his goals and is now one month away from completing the Police Academy and joining the local Sheriff's Department. This whole time I've really been attending "The School of Life." Looking back on it all I would have never imagined that I could have gotten through so many trials. If someone would have told me how things were going to work out I wouldn't believe them. I figure if I got through that The Good Lord will help me get through anything else that might be in my path. So here I go starting the next chapter in my life. Wish me luck!

Regards,
    CowboyF550
    "Praise the Lord & pass the ammunition"

2. Remove Ads

Congrats on your acceptance, sounds like things are working out for you. Glad your dad is doing better and hope it stays that way. Good luck.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    I am taking care of my dad who has Alzheimer's. I can appreciate your effort.

Congrats. Just remember, if you pull over a car and the driver looks and acts like Larry the Cucumber, cut him a break.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Administrator
    Wow, nice story. I hope all works out for you. Feel free to PM me if you need help in the academy... been there done that and now I teach the course.
    So, do you have a job when you complete the academy, or is it just for certification?
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thanks for the encouraging words y'all and thanks for the offer SIXTO! I've already been hired by the local PD and they're putting me through the academy as Cadet I. I'll keep in mind your offer if I should need some help. Thanks again!

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Congratulations Cowboy on both your acceptance and the care you gave your father.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Congrats Cowboy. Caring for a loved one with a long term problem is never easy. God bless you for caring for your father and family. Still on that road with my wife. Amazing the things that you can do when you have to.

Hope all goes well with your new career, and pray for Gods hand in your life!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Congrats Cowboy!!! You ( i suspect ) will do well at the academy . Just as a personal favor to me remember at all times it is not a " them against us " world . You are already worlds ahead of your classmates in many areas , and don't take much of the " officer survival " to heart . The academy is structured to give survival skills to the uninitiated and tho you will learn some there in that aspect remember you already have a fine grounding, and you dont need a swat team for a traffic stop lol . ( you will understand as you go thro , and six can speak to the mindset if he so chooses lol ) . Just keep your head about you and you will do well both in class and on the street later .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

VIP Member
    Congrats Cowboy!!! Just like Sixto, If I can be of any help while you are in the academy, just PM me.
    "Texas can make it without the United States, but the United States can't make it without Texas!".... Sam Houston

Retired LEO
    Firearms Instructor
    NRA Life Member

congratulations on your dad and the academy. Keep in mind it may get tough at times, though they are just preparing you for the streets. Pay attention to everything and you will do fine!

Assistant Administrator
    Great news - in so many ways.

You are to be commended for your dedication over these years ....... and I am sure there have been some tricky periods too. Ever so good to hear your Dad has improved this much - that must seem like a miracle really .... well, guess it was.

In one sense you have ''lost'' a lot thru the six years but in other ways I feel it will have strengthened you in ways no one can just be taught - it's ''hard knocks'' stuff.

This will I am sure stand you in very good stead with future LE involvement ..... and I wish you all the luck you deserve.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member
    Congratulations, Cowboy. Is it not amazing what the Lord will do when we put others before ourselves. Do good in the academy and make that dad proud of you. Us too, of course!
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Hey folks, just wanted to thank you all for the kind words and for the encouragment, it means more than you realize, God bless!

You are a good man, Cowboy. My mother was in a wonderful nursing home and my father was in an assisted living center next door. After she died in 2001, I brought my Dad hom with me and we had 5 great years until he died in Nov 2006. They both had good long lives and are together again. Hope you have many more years to be with your folks.
    Life is too short to be serious!

Good luck and congrats to you c550. I dealt with the same issues with my Mom. God will never give up on you. Don't give up on Him.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links