Tornado Alley

Tornado Alley

This is a discussion on Tornado Alley within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; The town of Atkins, a few miles north of me got tore up by tornadoes, at least two that we know of. The town is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tornado Alley

Senior Moderator

Tornado Alley

The town of Atkins, a few miles north of me got tore up by tornadoes, at least two that we know of. The town is a mess, I-40 was shut down, we have at least 4 confirmed dead and several missing. Our all but one of our 911 repeater towers are down, communications is almost non exisitant, most of the the roads are impassable due to debris and or downed trees.

All of EMS plus several neighboring counties are out,as are most LEO's.

Its dark, its raining, the winds still blows hard. It looks like a war zone.

Things arent looking too good for those missing.

While I am quite fortunate that this tornado passed within two miles northeast of my house, some of my neighbors and friends are not.

What a night...the beggining of a long one.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    Dang it Bob - I have wondering a few times today as I saw the warnings on TV .....glad you are OK but - it sounds like a tragic mess for sure.

Uncharacteristic conditions for time of year - a high spinning off east coast and the cold front mraching in from NW - not a good combo with real cold air meeting 70 plus - so loadsa energy and rotation posibilities too.

Hope the worst is over and commiserations to all those poor folks who got slammed. Does seem tho SE might get some hassles tomorrow.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Administrator
    Thats never fun, I've been through a couple myself.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Member Array flagflyfish's Avatar
    Keep yourself and your family in a safe place Hotguns! A word to the man upstairs is sent! Rex
    "These are the times that try men's souls. The summer soldier
    and the sunshine patriot will, in this crisis, shrink from the
    service of his country; but he that stands it now, deserves the
    love and thanks of man and woman."

-- Thomas Paine (The American Crisis, No. 1, 19 December 1776)

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Having lived the same...my prayers to you and yours, plus the many that will pick up the pieces and strive to put things back together.

Rick

Similar weather in Memphis. Several tornados have touched down this evening and another wave of storms about to hit. No deaths reported so far. Major damage to Hickory Ridge mall and surrounding area. Ark, w TN and n MS are all involved in this event. Light a candle, say a prayer or whatever you do in a situation like this.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

been there done that...

you guys are in our prayers tonight - all we are getting here is the rain and the flooding...

VIP Member
    We here in Alabama have been watching all day and concerned about where this weather was going. So far we have been missed. Prayers for those taking the brunt of the trouble.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

My prayers go out to all those affected.

Memphis update

3 confirmed dead in the Hickory Hill area. A warehouse collapsed during a tornado.
    It is not the Bill of Privileges. It is not the Bill of Permits. It is the Bill of Rights.

People should not be afraid of the government; the government should be afraid of the people.

Having survived hurricanes and tornadoes I'll take hurricanes. At least you have some time to prepare. I always say a prayer for the people in these things. Hope folks are faring well despite the losses and condolences to those who're facing the ultimate loss.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

As soon as I heard about the T's this morning, I immediately began thinking about the members of this forum from the area...hope all are well...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

The first tornado went 5 miles north of my house and the second about 5 miles south of my house. A lot of damage and injuries in the area and several deaths. We also had a first for TV weather broadcast, instead of a tornado warning, the NWS issued a tornado emergency! It was a very scarey several hours around here but my family is safe and we were blessed.
    Welcome to Tennessee, the patron state of shootin' stuff.--SHOOTER

I spent most of the night at the TV station that I work at. Tornado sirens going of every few minutes, rain, hail, tornadoes....it all sucked pretty bad.

Then, I got to go home around 11pm to a house with no power. At least it wasn't cold out right. The power came back on at about 9:15am this morning.

Parts of the warehouses and the Hickory Ridge Mall are strewn all over the ground at our transmitter facility at Whitten and I-40. That is many miles from the site of the devastation.

El Cruiser, I also have been through Hurricanes and tornadoes. Prior to Katrina I also would have said that I would take hurricanes over tornadoes any day. But after Katrina, give me the tornadoes. You have to take a direct hit and they do not last as long. Katrina and to an extent, Ivan the year before and Dennis that same year was like a tornado that lasted a day and a half straight. Then, last night, we had no power for about 15 hours. After Katrina, we had no power (and part of the roof gone) for 14 days or so.

I pick tornadoes.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    Well...its a certifiable mess. Pictures of the town made national news, and the Governor came out and walked around a bit and its been declared a disaster area. Walking around the debris leaves no doubt that it was defiantly a disaster for some.

The biggest problem was the lack of accessibility. The roads were so cluttered up that no one could get very far. Slowly though, with the help of dozens of volunteers from surrounding communities, roadways are being cleared and messes are being cleaned up. It'll likely be a few days before power to the area is restored,there were enough electrical lines down that the local Nuclear Plant had to throttle back some because some high energy transmission lines were down.

We were lucky with only 4 dead and over 60 injured, with a dozen or so considered critical. Of that, two that I have heard of may or may not make it.

Everyone has been accounted for so we have moved from the rescue/recovery phase to the salvage phase. An overwhelming show of support from neighboring communities, Churches, and efforts to supply those in need with food clothing and shelter have been amazing. The Red Cross set up a shelter at the local high school gym for those without. It is a testament to life in small town America that no one that lost homes spent the night there as neighbors,friends and kinfolk took care of those in need. The shelter was used, though, by volunteers and rescue workers ,neighboring LEO's and Fireman and EMT's as a place to gather, eat, and even sleep by those that eventually exhausted themselves with the whole process.

It was a humdinger of a storm. A whole line of towns here in Arkansas were hit and hit hard. I made the comment to some of my co-workers yesterday morning before the storm hit that 74 degree weather in February could'nt be a good thing.

Little did I know that the worst storm system in over two decades would descend upon us all and and for some of us, forever change our lives.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links