Cataract surgery

This is a discussion on Cataract surgery within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; A week ago on the 20th of Feb. I had cataract surgery on my right eye. I'm almost 52 years old and was getting tired ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Cataract surgery

Cataract surgery

A week ago on the 20th of Feb. I had cataract surgery on my right eye. I'm almost 52 years old and was getting tired of not being able to see, especially at night. I spent the extra money for the Rezoom lenses that are suppose to make it so I won't need glasses for close, middle rang and long range. Yesterday I went back for my 1 week apointment and my distance vision is now 20/15. The same as it was when I was 20 years old. My reading might still need glasses but I'm tickled pink at how well I can see my sights on the Shiloh Sharps with the Soule long range sights on it. I can see all of the sights and the target perfectly. I get the other eye done on the 26th of March. This has been the most painless surgery that I've ever had. Any of you looking into getting this done, I say go for it. It's worth it.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

2. Remove Ads

Glad to hear that the surgery went well. We're pretty close to the same age and I've been wearing glasses since around 6 or 7 yrs. old. It would be nice to not have to wear glasses anymore. After my nose heals, I might look into what you had done for the eyes although I don't have cataracts
    The most exhilarating thing in life is getting shot at with no results.
    - Winston Churchill
    Endowment Life Member - NRA
    Life Member - GOA
    Member - Oath Keepers, SAF, CCRKBA
    U.S. Army (72G) 1975-1980

Congrats there, Fella! Glad ya got it done, eh? Good luck on number two. Hope it comes out as well!
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

VIP Member
    I'm with you, walvord. If ridurall's second eye works like the first I'll think very seriously about having it done. I am 60 and have been wearing glasses for about 48 years. I wore contacts for a couple of years in the 1960s, but my allergies got worse and they got just too uncomfortable to wear. I tried several times since when some new type of contact came out, but no good. I would love to be able to drive and shoot without glasses. Only having to wear them to read would be fabulous.

Glad the first one was good, ridurall. I'll be praying the second one is just as good and just as easy.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Administrator
    As a kid growing up I don't think I ever saw my own Mom without eye glasses on.
    She is now in her mid 80s - had cataract surgery in both eyes 2 years ago (had those vision corrective lenses put in) and she was able to finally toss her glasses into the trash can.
    Her vision is now PERFECT.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I had it done on both eyes 14 months ago, came out 20/20. I do need glasses for fine print. What surprised me is that it was totally painless. Before the operations I had the willies about someone sticking something in my eyes. If you are having vision problems, check with your eye Doc and if cataract surgery will help - DO IT.
    People sleep peaceably in their beds at night only because rough men stand ready to do violence in their behalf. - George Orwell

I used to wear glasses that were made for recycled Coke bottles. About 10 years ago i got Lasik to correct my vision. I have Skydived, Bungee Jumped, Ski, Snowmobile but lying on a table awake looking into a machine above your eye is scary stuff. With in 30 minutes both eyes done. Walked out with 20/15. If anybody who has worn glasses before and said" I wish I didn't need glasses" This is the best thing ever. I would spend the money each and every year.

My wife had 20/2700 vision when I married her. Without glasses she was pretty much blind. About 8 years ago she got Lasik and can see 20/30. When she got home she was peeking out from under her bandages and started giggling. Our driveway is 326 yards long and she could recognize our horses out of the corner of her eye without glasses.
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

check Crystalens. They are capable of accomodation to various distances, much as your natural lenses were before you hit age 40-ish. I can read fine print, distance is good and improving, and mine were done on Jan 14 and Jan 28. They are the only FDA approved lenses for use with presbyopia as well as cataracts, or even without cataracts, I think.
    Bobhock

Senior Moderator
    I've thought about getting lasik myself, I've been wearing glasses since I was 10 years old
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

DC Founder
    A buddy of mine had this done a few months ago and had similar results. He still sometimes has to use reading glasses, but they are about the weakest strength you can buy off the rack at the grocery store.....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Member Array Detachment_Charlie's Avatar

Thumbs up

I'm 61 and wore glasses since I was 7. Had cataract surgery on both eyes about 6 months ago. WOW!!! Did the groups with my "irons" tighten-up. They tightened up so much I bought a Garand and have been knockin' em dead ever since.
    Guys, don't wait; do it.
    It's for the children.
    What if the Hokey-Pokey really is what it's all about?

I had a set back with my right eye this weekend. Seems I'm allergic to the eithromycin so my doctor switched me to neomycin & polymycin B and eye drops without a preservative in it. By this morning my right eye was driving me crazy. It felt like a hand full of sand was in it. I got some new stuff and the inflammation is going down now this evening. I was kind of worried by this morning. Instead on wearing an eye patch over the right eye I've been wearing my Wiley X goggles/glasses that are military issue for fighting in sandy places. They keep the moisture in my eyes and with the hard winds we've had yesterday and today keep the sand out. I loaded up some 45/70 405 gr lead bullets with Varget this weekend and as soon as the wind quits blowing I'm going to chronograph them and see what kind of accuracy I get with them.

This morning I woke up in a world of difference. The change in meds made all the difference. I didn''t know that I was alergic to eithromycin and with the change no problem at all this morning. Back to work today, bugs to kill & money to make!

Quote Originally Posted by ridurall View Post
    This morning I woke up in a world of difference. The change in meds made all the difference. I didn''t know that I was alergic to eithromycin and with the change no problem at all this morning. Back to work today, bugs to kill & money to make!
    Glad you're feeling better! What caliber ya use on bugs?
    Richard

NRA Life Member

"But if they don't exist, how can a man see them?"

"You may think I'm pompous, but actually I'm pedantic... let me explain the difference."

"Carry the battle to them. Don't let them bring it to you. Put them on the defensive and don't ever apologize for anything."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links