Wisdom teeth

Wisdom teeth

This is a discussion on Wisdom teeth within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Ugh... My bottom two wisdom teeth need to come out. They are impacted, infected and swollen right now. Anything that touches them is like fire. ...

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Wisdom teeth

Distinguished Member Array Pro2A's Avatar

Wisdom teeth

Ugh... My bottom two wisdom teeth need to come out. They are impacted, infected and swollen right now. Anything that touches them is like fire. It hurts to talk or eat. The dentist gave me a prescription for a few Percocet to dull the pain until they can get me in to have them removed... Thank God for pain killers and Anbesol. I'll update as I find out more, but they are saying they'll have to put me under and surgically remove these teeth because they are under the gums.

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar
    Ahhhhh. I have felt that pain. (last September) I had to consult Dr. J. Daniels, DDS while waiting the weekend for the surgery. My oral surgeon was one of my hand to hand students and is afraid of me. He knows that I'm a dentophobe. (different than an anti-dentite) We have a great working relationship. "Doc. There is no good reason for us to hurt each other right?" He made sure that I was well medicated. All kidding aside, he is a great doc and took great care of me as I'm sure yours will for you. Good luck and don't forget that Dr. Daniels makes house calls.
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Three of four wisdom teeth grew in perfectly straight for me. Number for decided to come in sideways and impact the molar next to it. After years of pain and not being able to chew on that side of my mouth, I finally had the offending wisdom tooth and affected molar hacked out last year.

The pain afterwards sucked, but was bearable. Having the left side of my cheek and jaw swollen out past my ear wasn't so fun.

However, now I am VERY glad I got it done.

Good luck with yours.

-JT

"Doc. There is no good reason for us to hurt each other right?" He made sure that I was well medicated.

Both of my bottom wisdom teeth came in sideways facing the front. Been that way for about 18 years now. They do start hurting every now and then, but it is just a little uncomfortable, so I just deal with it for now. Hopefully it want get any worse. Good luck with yours though.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Administrator
    Flush Those Percocets and Dump That Anbesol.

And tell em No novocaine and No anesthetic! You wanna Rough It!

Nothing like a little Acute Unbearable Nerve Pain to make a real trooper out of you.

Grin & Bear It Soldier.

Hey...seriously ~ Good luck with your surgery.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Lead Moderator
    My understanding is the older you are when you get them removed, the worse it is . Luckily mine were removed as a teenager. Good luck.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

It hurts to think about it! You will get over it, so hang in there.
    John
    Assault is a behavior, not a device.

"Don't never take no shortcuts." Patty Reed, Donner Party

Lifetime NRA member

Flush Those Percocets and Dump That Anbesol.

And tell em No novocaine and No anesthetic! You wanna Rough It!

Nothing like a little Acute Unbearable Nerve Pain to make a real trooper out of you.

Grin & Bear It Soldier.
    You are a heck of a lot tougher than I am.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Mine came in straight, but military being military, they decided to yank them anyway, while underway, and with a local only. I'll probably end up being happy that I don't have to deal with them, but I distinctly remember the LCDR's knee on my chest during the 'extraction' phase.

Glad to hear they are going to put you under...something about the sound of them breaking my teeth with pliers still gives me chills.

What I mean to say, is, it's no big deal. You'll be fine, just routine dental work...
    There are two sides to every issue: one side is right and the other is wrong, but the middle is always evil.

http://miscmusings.townhall.com/

Who is John Galt?

I wish they put me under! He had to saw a little on my jawbone to get the wisdom tooth out. Plus, as he was yanking on the molar, I felt him slip and whatever tool he was using slammed into my upper teeth. I was numb, so there was no pain, but it was a very jarring impact.

-JT

I had mine taken out by a dental school student in the school's clinic when I was in college. Hey, $20 per tooth - I was a poor, struggling student! Plus I participated in a pain-relief study afterwards, so I got a $5 per tooth discount.

No valium or general anesthetic - just novocaine. I can still remember one of the observing students cringing when they cut the gums with the scalpel. After that, it was hammer and chisel time to break the teeth in half before removing them. I had to close my eyes 'cause the observer was making me nervous.

Even in 1977, there were better techniques and pain/stress relief medications, but the students had to learn the "hard way" as well!

Good luck, and hope you have a more updated experience than I did!
    Clinging to guns and God in PA...

Senior Member Array Sergeant Mac's Avatar
    When my last one got impacted/infected, they just used novocain, and the main thing I remember feeling when they pried that bad boy out was RELIEF!

Tasted just plain NASTY, though.

I had all four removed many years ago. I was put to sleep and when I woke up it was all over!!! The only way to go! A little pain after but not that bad.

You're probably not a wimp like me.....but if I had to do it again, which I only had two out, so it's likely, GO UNDER!!! If not, have them gas you like you've never been gassed, and beg for Valium.

I just had the novocain and the gas. I could feel every tap, and crack of my teeth. It was worse than my c-section. Go under if you can.
    Last edited by bluedaisy; March 2nd, 2008 at 05:37 PM. Reason: added info
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Senior Member Array stanislaskasava's Avatar
    Didn't they recommend extracting all four to rule out future surgery? I had mine out when I was 18... I 'slept' and had a great surgeon so I was fine the next day. I don't think I even used any Vicodin or whatever pills they were pushing.

Page 1 of 6 12345 ... LastLast

Links