Nose Surgery/Pistol Range

This is a discussion on Nose Surgery/Pistol Range within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So I had surgery to fix my deviated septum a little over two weeks ago. My doctor said don't work out, take it easy and ...

Thread: Nose Surgery/Pistol Range

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar

Nose Surgery/Pistol Range

So I had surgery to fix my deviated septum a little over two weeks ago. My doctor said don't work out, take it easy and irrigate my nose 3 times a day. So I took it easy for the prescribed two weeks. On day 14 I felt really good, I could breathe and thought I was out of the woods (so to speak). I decided that going to shoot a little would be just what the doctor ordered. Boy was I wrong. I shot about 30 rounds of .45 acp before I felt my nose become wet. I thought it was just nasal drip. However, when I wiped my nose there was blood. I wasn't too worried. I locked the slide back on my Sig, laid it down and put pressure on my nostril. I then felt my mouth fill up with blood and decided maybe I should run to the restroom to take a closer look. About the time I got to the restroom the flood gates let loose. My nose was bleeding like a faucet. After about 10 minutes someone came into the restroom and noticed my predicament. 911 was called and they attempted to stop the bleeding. After about 25 minutes my nose had finally clotted. Next was my trip to the ER where my doctor packed my nose and sent me on my way.

Well roll on later the same day and even though my nose was packed it started bleeding again. This time worse than the first time. Yelled at my wife for help and at the site of seeing her husband "bleeding out" she immediately called 911 and back to the hospital I go. Well long story short they shoved a balloon in my nose and inflated it to stop the bleeding (I can only liken the pain to having a railroad spike shoved into your brain through your nose). This was about 3 am and they put me in a room in the ER, morphined me up and told me to rest. The morphine eased the pain for about 30 minutes! Well they finally scheduled me for surgery and cauterized my nose where the bleeding was taking place. I awoke from surgery with no bleeding and could actually breathe through my nose. They watched me for a few hours and finally sent me home.

I have no idea how much blood I lost (just that it was a lot) but luckily I didn't need a transfusion. So my doctor has told me to basically do nothing for a week. So, I'm under house arrest. The boss isn't cutting me much slack. The good news is that I actually kept my Sig bloodfree . I never thought there would be a chance that the recoil from a handgun would start my nose to bleeding. But it definitely did. So my advice to anyone out there having a septoplasty -- wait about three or four weeks until you shoot or maybe start out with a .22!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

2. Remove Ads

That must have been a very unnerving experience. Hope you are OK and glad you kept theSig out of the mess.

OOOoooo! Dude! What an ordeal!
    Hope you are OK and glad you kept the Sig out of the mess.
    Hmmmm--priorities! Never bleed on your pistol.

Assistant Administrator
    Ouch! No that's not really the word. Most scary I am sure that was.

You must have had a large vessel just waiting to pop and quite possible even a simple exertion could have brought that on. Probably (hope) this was an inevitable event and so now cauterized, once healed, you'll be good to go, shooting and all.

Best of luck.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    You could send your Sig to me and I will keep it up and running for you and as soon as the doctor releases you I'll send it back ..........oh could you send some ammo also.........all kidding aside.........praying for you.
    Last edited by Reborn; March 18th, 2008 at 06:38 PM. Reason: spelling
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Distinguished Member Array USPnTX's Avatar
    Reborn - I am really touched!! Thanks, I needed the laugh! Maybe we can meet up at a DFW shoot sometime soon and you can take care of the Sig for me!
    "Do not fear those who disagree with you; fear those that do and are too cowardly to admit it" - Napoleon

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by USPnTX View Post
    Reborn - I am really touched!! Thanks, I needed the laugh! Maybe we can meet up at a DFW shoot sometime soon and you can take care of the Sig for me!
    I could use some gas money also and I have my own range. Hey would you like to come down and watch me shoot your gun and ammo.
    Last edited by Reborn; March 19th, 2008 at 03:50 PM. Reason: spelling
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Nothing worse than packing your nose and sinuses with cotton rods! I suffered that for three days, then had to remove them myself or go crazy. My Doc chewed me out royally.
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

My daughter had a bad bleeder the other day walking out of the mall, she happened to have a tampon in her purse, yep shoved it up her nose, and took her to urgent care, where they cauterized it. Doc said whatever works and good thinking. Couldn't have her bleeding in the truck.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

USN 78-82/USAF 82-93 Medically Retired
    Desert Shield/Desert Storm
    DAV Life Member
    NRA Life Member

That hurt me reading about it, Best wishes man
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Reborn View Post
    I could use some gas money also and I have my own range. Hey would you like to come down and watch me shoot your gun and ammo.
    Dont invite him to your range! He'll bleed all over the joint!
    "Just blame Sixto"

NOSE

Thanks, I have needed this done for a long time and now really don't want to give in. Is there a smilie for a chicken?

Links