Teetered on the Edge of Hell Today… (long post)

This is a discussion on Teetered on the Edge of Hell Today… (long post) within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; This morning, around 9 a.m., my wife was awakened by our 19 year old daughter’s boyfriend. ‘L’ (our daughter) had gone out about 3 a.m. ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Teetered on the Edge of Hell Today… (long post)

This morning, around 9 a.m., my wife was awakened by our 19 year old daughter’s boyfriend. ‘L’ (our daughter) had gone out about 3 a.m. to a friend’s house. (She serves, and often gets home after midnight, and often has her days and nights mixed up.)

She did not come home last night. This is VERY atypical behavior for her.

Her BF called her cell phone repeatedly with no answer; on 1 occasion, an unknown male answered and then hung up. That is when he woke my wife.

Right after our first worship service this morning, I got a phone call from my wife telling me what was going on. On the way home, I was concerned, but not panicky (unlike my wife, who was on the edge of coming unglued).

We called the police.

When we spoke to the girl she went to see, we were told that ‘L’ left there about 4 a.m. When we checked later, our car was out front of the friend’s house, the car keys in the house, and our daughter’s cell phone was lying in a pool of vomit in the middle of the street.

Just before 11 a.m., our daughter called – from my office at church.

She has NO recollection of anything from approximately 3:30 a.m. (when she drank a fruit punch-type drink at her friend’s house) ‘til almost 11:00 a.m., when she awoke, lying in the floor of my office bathroom, smelling of alcohol.

I am not naïve. I fully realize this could just be a stupid teenager act, and I have not totally ruled that out. Yet, our daughter certainly leans toward being painfully honest. If she does something, she will tell you—whether you like it or not. At this point, this leads us to believe that she was a victim of someone giving her either ‘Hunch Punch’ (a mixture of alcohols-including grain alcohol, often loaded with sugar, and where it is apparently difficult or impossible to detect the alcohol, to which ‘date rape’ drugs like GHB or Rohypnol are sometimes added), or just a date rape drug alone.

There is no sign of a sexual assault. We talked long and honestly about whether she should have a rape test, and whether she should have a urine test to determine conclusively (hopefully) if she was indeed given a drug. She has decided not to do either—in part because there are no signs of sexual assault, and in part because LE says that unless someone confesses, it would be virtually impossible to determine who did this to her.

All this is to 1) get some of the emotion of the day off-loaded with some people who quite often exhibit wisdom and experience—you all from Defensive Carry; and 2) to remind you to remind your children (guys or gals) that it is often a dangerous world out there—even in places where you believe you are with friends. To my knowledge, noone at the house where my daughter went was of legal drinking age (except the mom, who was, and still is, nowhere to be found.

We got a TINY taste of the horror that the parents of Natalee Holloway and others have experienced. We were only aware that our daughter was gone for a couple of hours. But, she recalls nothing of a period of time of 6 to 7 hours. During that time, ANYTHING could have happened. Why it didn’t (Dumb luck? The grace of God? I don’t know. Call it what you will.), I have no idea. I am, however, grateful…and relieved.

Thanks for listening/reading.

Mike
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Glad she's okay, Mike.

I have real-world talks with my sons frequently- thanks for the reminder.

Thank god she's alright. You're a good parent to be supportive of her. As a young man I've met plenty of girls whose parents reacted to similar situations very poorly - telling them they brought it upon themselves and so on.

Please consider helping her find a counselor preemptively. Lots of people develop life long fears and problems after this kind of event and given that she doesn't know what happened, she'll probably have a hard time trusting anyone she was (or might have been) around.

Thanks for sharing. Keeps me aware that not all threats jump out of bushes or kick down doors.

Michael...

I feel your pain...REALLY! I have two boys, both now in their 30's...they ran us through the 'mill'...a parent's worry never stops.
    Hopefully, everything is/will be OK.

Take care,

Ken

P.S. Maybe lunch again some time...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Wow,thank god she is ok,but on the other hand you need to really talk to her about the dangers and that most victims of crime never thought it would happen to them,I would definitely advise her against drinking if it's illegal til she's 21 ,or if she does don't drink with strangers.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Glad that she is OK.
    It sure could have been lots worse.
    I'm certain that it was a learning experience for her (for sure not a pleasant one) and she will be lots more careful in the future.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I would want to know where the drink came from? If her or her friends is around someone that is drugging their drinks? I have had my share of Hours missing from memory with the help of just alcohol but, Most of the time you know or have an Idea about how much you consumed! I would talk to the friend she went to see and find out who answered her phone! She was around someone and I would want to know what happened!! 30 minutes is not enough time for just alcohol to flip the switch, unless she was power drinking everclear!! This could have been a trial run for someone dropping pill's in drinks. Who else there drank the punch! Who got her from point A to B? I'm glad she's OK. Drinking and fighting took up most of my teens to early 20's. I don't have kid's but have been at those kind of parties! I would suggest doing whatever you can to get some answers!!!! Guy's suck!!! Take care of your girl!!
    GUN CONTROL= I WANT TO BE THE ONE IN CONTROL OF THE GUN

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

I have two young teenaged daughters who I fret and worry over every second.
    They are still not very street wise but starting to venture out a little and learning lessons, mostly by observing thier friends and others behavior.
    takurpik said it best.......have those real-world discussions frequently and give/teach them the tools they need to stay the course and not venture off too far.

I'm glad your girl is alright but this is a lesson learned the hard way. Man, that's a scary situation.
    "Just getting a concealed carry permit means you haven't commited a crime yet. CCP holders commit crimes." Daniel Vice, senior attorney for the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence, quoted on Fox & Friends, 8 Jul, 2008

(Sometimes) "a fight avioded is a fight won." ... claude clay

Thank God she's ok. Everything else pales by comparison to her safety.

Very scary. Glad she is o.k. and maybe this will make her think hard about doing something like that in the future.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Quote Originally Posted by cdwolf View Post
    I would want to know where the drink came from? If her or her friends is around someone that is drugging their drinks?
    I would talk to the friend she went to see and find out who answered her phone! She was around someone and I would want to know what happened!! 30 minutes is not enough time for just alcohol to flip the switch, unless she was power drinking everclear!! This could have been a trial run for someone dropping pill's in drinks. Who else there drank the punch! Who got her from point A to B?
    cd,

We certainly want to know who did this. We have enough experience with this particular family to highly suspect them or friends of theirs.

I will have a conversation with mom. But, at least 2 of 4 children their (underage) are known to smoke pot regularly. Don't know what else they're doing.

As to how she got from point A to point B -- great question to which we have no idea. 'L' had no shoes on her, her feet weren't dirty enough to have walked the whole way...so, who knows?
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    Glad she is doing better for now. Be watchful though as there may be flashbacks that seem like dreams. The problem with some drugs is they block out the memories for a short time. Give her all your support. Hope everything improves.

It sounds like she got "Roofied"; That is a street name for RoHypnol (I hope I spelled that right). This happened to my step-daughter a couple of years ago at a college frat party. Luckily, some of her sorority sisters got hold of her and tried to leave when they noticed her getting loopy. There were 4 guys that tried to keep them from leaving, when my step-daughters' roommate called me at home, asking for help. I showed up in about 20 minutes, finding that the twerps had pulled their vehicle in close behind the girls so they could not pull out. When I opened the door of my truck, I could hear the girls crying, and some of the guys (by now there were at least 10 of them) laughed and said "ooooh here comes your old man"......

They stopped laughing when they heard me rack the slide on the 12 gauge as I got out of the truck. I walked over to the group and asked who the car belonged to. when I didn't get an answer, I made the casual remark that I wondered how a very expensive looking Mustang would stand up to 8 rounds of buckshot? That got the car moved immediately. I then told the girls to take my step-daughter to the hospital and get an immediate drug test.

By then, I figured the police had been called, so I left. After getting to the hospital (by now my wife was there, they had to pump my step-daughters stomach), a policeman showed up and took down our information. The cop asked me if I could identify any of the guys that were at the party and I said sure. We got over there and found out that there were several LEOs there, of course they complained about me, but the LEOs were pretty unhappy, apparently the frat boys got smart with them.

They searched the "premises" and found a bunch of drugs, including the "roofies" and several of the kids ended up getting kicked out of school. we filed charges against them of course, and their lawyers pleaded them 5 years of probation each with the owner of the "roofies" getting a year in TDC, plus 5 years probation.

We hope everything goes OK with your daughter, and she learns something from this. it could have been much worse.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

As the father of 4 girls, ages 12-20, this type of story makes my pulse race.

I'm very glad to hear that your daughter is unharmed.

I don't know what I'd do in your position, but I know where I'd start... Those 'friends' would be getting a visit from one PO'd father.
    Liberty is an inherently offensive lifestyle. Living in a free society guarantees that each one of us will see our most cherished principles and beliefs questioned and in some cases mocked. It's worth it.

Administrator
    Warn your kids not to accept drinks from unknown individuals.
    Also tell them if they leave a drink unattended - even if it's just for a minute...toss it...and go get a fresh one...that would be if it is an alcoholic drink or just a Pepsi.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links