He taught me how to look for snakes

This is a discussion on He taught me how to look for snakes within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; When I was a young boy, my Dad taught me how to lift up boards, etc., that we would find outside on the ground. He ...

Thread: He taught me how to look for snakes

VIP Member

When I was a young boy, my Dad taught me how to lift up boards, etc., that we would find outside on the ground. He taught me to NEVER stick my fingers under the board to lift it up, but to get a stick and use the stick to lift. He explained that sometimes snakes would hide under old boards, and they might bite my fingers if I grabbed the board.

Years went by. We moved around, I grew up, moved away, travelled around. I never forgot his lesson.

Not long ago, Dad needed to move a board that was laying on the ground. He used a stick to lift up the board, and there lay a snake coiled underneath, ready to strike. Dad said to the snake, "I've been looking for you for many, many years."

Dad survived because he was cautious, and because he never let his guard down. He had taken the same precautions every other time for decades, even though the threat had never appeared before. But because he persisted in his caution, he was ready when the test finally came.

So now I'm looking for the snake in my life. I'm looking for that carjacker as my pistol resides in a holster next to my car's console, ready for immediate deployment. I'm looking for that home invader as I'm armed while watching t.v. with my wife. I'm looking for that mugger and his accomplice as I walk through stores and parking lots. Even as I sleep, I'm ready for that snake if he comes at night.

I'm looking for that snake. My goal is to be ready, as Dad was, even if the snake doesn't show for awhile.

Every day, I'm looking for that snake. I know he's there, somewhere. I'm looking for him every day.

VIP Member
    Great tribute to your dad, Grady. Both the statement and the actions.
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Good story. Shows the difference between living in fear and exercising caution. I just wish the people on the freeways would exercise basic caution driving; I'm less worried about getting shot/robbed than run into by a moron in a big car.

Thanks for sharing.

Nice post Grady. Keep looking for that snake. You can bet he's there somewhere.

Distinguished Member Array Tally XD's Avatar
    Nice post Grady!

Sad part is, the thugs in todays world are worse than snakes. They no longer wait for us to lift that board to bite our hand. They dont bite out of fear or self-preservation. They bite out of malicious intent and a total disregard for human life.

Still you give a good lesson to keep wary of that "snake" in hiding.
    “I am consistently on record and will continue to be on record as opposing concealed carry.”
    - Barack Obama Chicago Tribune, April 27, 2004

Senior Moderator
    Good practical advice.

I have found many snakes under boards, old sheet metal, and flat rocks over the years.

Havent found that ole snake known as Satan yet...but I can sure tell he's been around sometimes...
    Last edited by HotGuns; May 15th, 2008 at 09:41 PM.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Well done Grady. A story worth posting for sure. The story says a lot, without saying a lot.

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Very much enjoyed that, awsome!

Wonderful story, and your dad was/is truly a very smart man. I love it when the truths we learn as youngsters continue to be proofed as we grow older. We should always pass then down to our children and grandchildren too. Thanks Grady!
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

Good father/son story...good analogy...very good advice!

Thanks for sharing.

Stay armed...watch out for 'slithering' BG's...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ridgeline View Post
    Wonderful story, and your dad was/is truly a very smart man. I love it when the truths we learn as youngsters continue to be proofed as we grow older. We should always pass then down to our children and grandchildren too. Thanks Grady!
    +1! Thanks Grady. Your story and Ridgeline's comments got me thinking past the years of disagreement and harshness to my formative years in the field with my Dad. SO much of what he taught me is now being passed to my sons without a conscious thought. Great post Grady!
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member
    When your young you sometimes taught what does he know.[DAD].
    As you get older you do and say the things he said and done. Sometimes I stop and think I turned into my DAD. I LOL and think good thing I did. Thanks DAD. Thanks Grady as well.

Grady that is a great post. Thanks for bringing to mind another excellent analogy.

VIP Member
    Good post. Excellent story and analogy.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

VIP Member
    I'm a father now and sometimes I feel the pressure of living up to being the best dad I can be. It is an awesome and powerful responsibility being a dad.
    I haven’t heard any of the journalists who volunteered to be waterboarded asking to have their fingernails wrenched out with pliers, or electrodes attached to their genitals.

Sponsored Links