LEO trading cards fight pediatric cancer

This is a discussion on LEO trading cards fight pediatric cancer within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello all. Iím looking for a little help from my LEO / MIL brothers and sisters. One of my SWAT brothers, Steve, contacted me with ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: LEO trading cards fight pediatric cancer

Senior Member Array Knuckledrager's Avatar

Hello all. Iím looking for a little help from my LEO / MIL brothers and sisters. One of my SWAT brothers, Steve, contacted me with a request for LEO trading cards from my department. I do not have any myself and only a few of our officers do. When asking the reason for his request he explained that the cards were for his 8 y/o Nephew Michael. He went on to explain that Michael has been battling cancer for almost 3 years. Sadly, Michaelís cancer has now spread to his brain. His prognosis is poor.

Michael has asked his uncle Steve for LEO trading cards. This has been the only thing that Michael has consistently asked for. Steve has been able to get some but not nearly enough. Michael admires LEOs and MIL folks. He looks up to his uncle Steve and is proud of the work he does. Michael is in a fight for his life and all Steve is able to do is help him get the material things that he is asking for.

I told Steve that I would put his request on the LEO / MIL forums that I participate in. There is strength in the brotherhood that LEO / MIL folks share, It is something that we call upon daily. If Michael is able to acquire some of this strength by having his room covered wall to wall with LEO trading cards then Iím all for it. MIL folks, Iím sure a unit patch or something of the like would also bring a smile to his face. Time will most definitely be a factor in filling his request.

If anyone can send an LEO trading card(s) to Michael it would be appreciated in a way that words cannot express. If cost is an issue, let me know via PM and Iíll cover the costs. Thanks to all in advance!

Any items for Michael can be shipped to:

Ofc. Stephen Sheppleman
    Chester Police Department
    160 E. 7th St
    Chester, PA 19013
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Administrator
    I'll go look for some right now.

I dont know that we have trading cards, but I'm sure I can find other police related stuff I can send him.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Thank you Sir!
    "The liberty of the individual is no gift of civilization. It was greatest before there was any civilization." Sigmund Freud

Administrator
    Hey Knuckle, I havent found any trading cards from my dept., but I did put out a county wide message to see if I can collect a decent amount to send him.
    I did find all kinds of hand out P.R. type stuff, along with some patches. I'm going to go through some stuff tonight and see if I cant find some SWAT patches and Drug unit patches. I've also hit up our K9 unit, they always have cool stuff for the kids.
    I'll give it a week or so for stuff to get to me, and I'll send it.

I might be able to do another cool thing for him, I'll PM you about it.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    Hey Knuckle, I havent found any trading cards from my dept., but I did put out a county wide message to see if I can collect a decent amount to send him.
    I did find all kinds of hand out P.R. type stuff, along with some patches. I'm going to go through some stuff tonight and see if I cant find some SWAT patches and Drug unit patches. I've also hit up our K9 unit, they always have cool stuff for the kids.
    I'll give it a week or so for stuff to get to me, and I'll send it.

I might be able to do another cool thing for him, I'll PM you about it.
    That is great! Thank you.

Can a plain old civilian just walk into a substation and request them? I've never even heard of LEO trading cards before.
    If You Want To POPULATE Heaven
    You Have To PLUNDER Hell!!

4th Man Ministries

Quote Originally Posted by Holdcard View Post
    I've never even heard of LEO trading cards before.
    Ditto. Are these trading cards with pictures of famous LEO's on them, or sports related trading cards that have some kind of departmental imprint....?

Some departments, in an effort to get kids to know the cops, have come up with trading cards. These are like the old style baseball cards sans bubble gum. Many of the DARE officers have them. Some departments have the whole patrol division, K9, Mounted etc. Opsec kinda prevents the special units from having them ie Narcotics, anti-crime, SWAT etc. They are free for the asking.

Quote Originally Posted by Knuckledrager View Post
    Some departments, in an effort to get kids to know the cops, have come up with trading cards. These are like the old style baseball cards sans bubble gum. Many of the DARE officers have them. Some departments have the whole patrol division, K9, Mounted etc. Opsec kinda prevents the special units from having them ie Narcotics, anti-crime, SWAT etc. They are free for the asking.

Neat idea.

So sorry to hear about Michael. He's the same age as our daughter.....I can't begin to imagine what he, and your entire family is going through.

No help with the trading cards, but Carol and I will certainly keep him in our thoughts and prayers.

Thanks! I will pass them along.

I'll get mine and some others out to you this week.
    Training means learning the rules. Experience means learning the exceptions.

Thank you Sir!

To all of my LEO / MIL Bothers and Sisters,

I delivered the first of the locally collected items to Stephen this at about 0100 hrs. He advised that sadly, Michael had passed. Michael was in good spirits this weekend. He began to complain of some shortness of breath. Stephen was able to visit and took some of the donated items with him. Michaelís condition rapidly deteriorated and he slipped into a coma. This progressed quickly to respiratory failure and Michael died in his sleep. This was peaceful and Michael left this world surrounded by his family.

More than half a lifetime ago, I began my career in emergency services as a paramedic. I mention this only because one of the greatest challenges to providers is ďletting goĒ of those who are going to die and focusing on caring for those who are left behind. Your prayers and gifts did that very thing!

All of those who have provided their support not only bolstered Michael in his time of need but also propped up a family through a very dark time. Many of the items sent never reached Michael before his death, (prayers, well wishes and positive thoughts were instantly delivered) his family has benefited greatly from them. Stephen has expressed to me, with a tear in his eye, that he and his family have been touched beyond words by the outpouring of support from the LEO / MIL community. All of the cards, patches, t-shirts, challenge coins and stuffed animals were nothing short of magical.

Michaelís mother never imagined that so many, from the far corners of the US would come together to help grant a wish for a little boy that they had never met. She is amazed by the response. Stephen has also told me that all of the things that have been sent will be buried with Michael as per his parentís instructions.

To that end, funeral arrangements have yet to be made. Anything that is in transit will be added to the ever-growing collection that will accompany Michael on his final journey on this Earth. Anything that arrives after this will be on display at the interment. Anything received after that will be offered to the Childrenís Hospital so that other children who are ill may benefit from your gifts of spirit and strength.

I would like to again, offer my thanks for helping a brother LEO. You have all helped to assuage a familyís pain that comes with the loss of a child/brother/nephew/friend. Your kindness will never be forgotten. In the coming days, I will be posting/e-mailing a message from Michaelís family. They wish to express their sincerest thanks as well.

In the interim, thank you and remember to Stay Safe!

Very very sorry to hear this news...an extremely sad time for any family. I applaud the efforts or those from this forum who attempted to make Michael's situation more comforting...I hope the family also benefits from your efforts.
    I don't know what else to say...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Sorry to hear this, I wish I was able to get things out sooner for him to enjoy.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links