How long ?

How long ?

This is a discussion on How long ? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hey everyone. Have not been posting to much lately, lots of medical stuff going on. Medical stuff is what I need to know about now..... ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How long ?

How long ?

Hey everyone. Have not been posting to much lately, lots of medical stuff going on.

Medical stuff is what I need to know about now..... specifically for those of you who have had rotator cuff scope surgery in the past.

Just had my right shoulder scoped last week, they also trimmed jagged edges off the collarbone that was broken when I hit the deer on my Harley back in 2003, it never healed right.

Question is how long after scope surgery on a shoulder, can I expect to be back carrying and shooting my Kimber ?

Physical Therapy starts Tuesday, but I have been wondering about this.

Thanks in advance !

Ask your ortho. Some people heal quicker than others. He probably will want you to rest it for at least 4-6 weeks depending on your body.

Looks like it is time to get some off hand practice!

I wasn't carrying when I had mine done 2 years ago, but I was off pain meds 2 days later and after 6 weeks of PT I was 90%. It took another week or two to get that last 10%.

Of course, I am Superman, so I heal fast. It may take a little longer for mere mortals to heal.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

VIP Member
    Tomorrow because you have been practicing with the other hand and have an alternate carry rig for that side as well. Or is it just me who does that?

Within a week or we will all call you a wimp.

Just kidding. Numerous variables.

How old are you?

What sort of physical condition are you in?

Do you have any diseases that might hinder healing aka Type II Diabetes etc. ?

How severe was the damage repaired?

Really your doc and your PT should be able to give you an estimate.
    Procrastinators are the leaders of tomorrow.

Thanks everyone.

Guess I'll know more when I visit the Physical Therapist on Tuesday.

Doc said the shoulder was one of the worst he has seen, I'm just shy of 60, but usually bounce back pretty quick. Attitude is always good, that's a big part of it, especially with the PT.

Was wondering because I have my eye on a new Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster for my Kimber.

not sure about any medical stuff but wish you the
    best of luck to you for a speedy recovery.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Senior Member Array Natureboypkr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Hey everyone. Have not been posting to much lately, lots of medical stuff going on.

Medical stuff is what I need to know about now..... specifically for those of you who have had rotator cuff scope surgery in the past.

Just had my right shoulder scoped last week, they also trimmed jagged edges off the collarbone that was broken when I hit the deer on my Harley back in 2003, it never healed right.

Question is how long after scope surgery on a shoulder, can I expect to be back carrying and shooting my Kimber ?

Physical Therapy starts Tuesday, but I have been wondering about this.

Thanks in advance !

Good luck with the physical therapy!!!! Do you happen to use a shoulder rig?
    Mixed Martial Arts Record= 2-0.......Kyokushin Karate Record=5-0

USMC.....helping enemies of America die for their countries since 1775

Distinguished Member Array Reborn's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveT View Post
    Hard to say.......but if you will send me your Kimber I will be glad to shoot it for you until your better....... Oh can you send me some ammo too.
    Psalms 144:1
    Blessed be the Lord my strength, which teacheth my hands to war, and my fingers to fight.
    Senior Instructor for Tactical and Defensive of Texas
    http://www.tac-def-tx.com/
    CHL INSTRUCTOR
    Retired LEO
    NRA member
    TCHA member

Quote Originally Posted by Natureboypkr View Post
    Good luck with the physical therapy!!!! Do you happen to use a shoulder rig?
    I've got one for my Glock 23, have not used one for the Kimber yet. My thinking goes along these lines.... (talking with my wife)....

"Honey, I should be able to carry and use the Kimber with my right hand again in about 4 weeks, so I need to go ahead and order that shoulder holster now........ "

I'll be darned...... it worked !

New Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster rig on the way for the Kimber !

Physical Therapy starts today.

Maybe my wife felt sorry for me ahead of time........

Dave T, after what you have already been through a torn rotator cup should be
    a breeze also it should give you some time to practice weak had shooting.

Remember we may give out but we NEVER give up!!
    Sky

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Skysoldier View Post
    Especially PT.
    Μολὼν λαβέ

I'm just one root in a grassroots organization. No one should assume that I speak for the VCDL.

I am neither an attorney-at-law nor I do play one on television or on the internet. No one should assumes my opinion is legal advice.

Veni, Vidi, Velcro

Quote Originally Posted by Skysoldier View Post
    Dave T, after what you have already been through a torn rotator cup should be
    a breeze also it should give you some time to practice weak had shooting.

Sky
    Hey there, Sky !

Yep, the PT started yesterday and will continue twice a week for 6 weeks, plus passive exercises to do here at home every day.

Physical therapists are sure getting younger and better looking than I ever remember from before !!!

My therapist is a real cutie, but I'm thinking I may have to bring my old Drill Sergeant 'Smoky Bear' hat for her to wear......

That new Galco Miami Classic shoulder holster rig arrived today.... good motivation to get the shoulder back in shape.

EMP
    About 4 years ago I had a partial tear to the rotator cuff, tore all the ligaments and tendons, plus a torn and detached labrum (sp, the cartilage in shoulder). Wasn't carrying or shooting to the same extent at that time, but about a couple wks or so and I'd say I was back to a 'normal' sedentary life. Had a cortisone shot about 2.5 years ago, then about 6 months ago I tried a prolotherapy treatment which I must say was the BEST thing I've done for the shoulder (minus the surgery because it was a WRECK before that). I can't say enough good things about it. The first couple days after the injection were 'sore' as it was promoting the healing, after that it has NEVER been better. I honestly think it feels better now than before I injured it and after all the PT that I had to go thru for after the surgery.

If you have much pain a month or so out I would HIGHLY recommend that as a treatment option. I've actually been able to get back to the gym (where I tore it before surgery) without pain and without fear now.

best wishes to you
    “It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared.” ~ Whitney M. Young, Jr.

EMP
    Quote Originally Posted by EMP View Post
    about a couple wks or so and I'd say I was back to a 'normal' sedentary life
    In regards to that, it's not much longer after that to which I was back to an active lifestyle, but just no 'gym' activity for me.
    “It is better to be prepared for an opportunity and not have one than to have an opportunity and not be prepared.” ~ Whitney M. Young, Jr.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links