Please light a candle for Jess

This is a discussion on Please light a candle for Jess within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I just got back from visiting my best friend in the hospital . Jess has " rode the chair " ( been in a wheelchair ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Please light a candle for Jess

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar

Please light a candle for Jess

I just got back from visiting my best friend in the hospital . Jess has " rode the chair " ( been in a wheelchair ) for the last 30 years or so . He has reached the point that he has difficulty healing , and is today hospitalized due to an infection . Come to find out about two weeks ago he managed to break the knob off his femur ( the big leg bone where it joins the hip ) and just did not realize it or did not say anything . Long and short is that now he has an infection deep in his hip , his caricaturisation ( sp ) is not working well , and anything they do to try and treat the broken bone is complicated by some un expected spastic response in his leg. If all works well ill have him one more season , we will have one more chance to hunt game , hopefully from dove to elk . but i suspect at the best it will be jess's last year . If i can get him out of the hospital again ill be his " designated hunter "( in colorado handicapped folks can hunt and in some cases in special rules , and take an able bodyed hunter to do such as clean game ect.. ) again . A good man is being eaten up here due to injurys from a long time ago . Dont light a candle for him because he is my friend , and dont light one because he bought rifles to make a jr marksmanship possible . Light one because his life has been a flame in the night and it all to sudden will come to a close . The man changed my opinion from handi capped to handi capable. if you need a deffinition of this well watch a person push a wheelchair over a parking lot made of 3/4 inch rock , and then shoot . For myself the best thing jess ever did is that he made me sit in one of his old chairs and follow him for a day , not a month a day . Before that i thought i understood . Nowadays i say light a candle , do your best so that jess may live to see his grandchild . he wont see much more , but we are a small community and his grandchild will know him thro my storys if noting else .

forgive me for posting a friend is dead post , but its a matter of time and all good thoughts are welcome .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

2. Remove Ads

It is always hard to watch someone you care about go, especially slowly like that. But for his sake, keep the beat up as I'm sure you are. As you said, he will live on in the stories told about him after he is gone.

I have often heard people say, live your life now how you want to be remembered in your obituary. Live everyday like the gift that it is!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Distinguished Member Array randytulsa2's Avatar
    Candle lit, dude. Lit and bright. All night.
    God Bless.
    "...bad decisions that turn out well often make heroes."

Gary D. Mitchell, A Sniper's Journey: The Truth About the Man and the Rifle, P. 103, NAL Caliber books, 2006, 1st Ed.

Paco thanks , when i came home from the hospital i pulled a smoker load of pork out . I heard his menu which was " pineapple glazed ham " and mashed potatoes such as hospitals do . He will get a big fat smoked ham sandwich with tater salad later and hell maby a half a rack of ribs whith home made bbq as well . The hospital allready told me he can eat anything he wants lol and if i take enough to feed the night staff well it simplifys a lot of things lol .

Randy thanks bud maby some day i can pay back , or at least serve you some bbq lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .

yea , you cannot slice either the ham or the shoulder it just pulls apart , the ribs are the same . Given the devotion our local hospital staff shows i belive ill take down a bit more than 5lb of meat , with the understanding that jess gets a sandwich if he wants one . Of course ill take sauce too and they can dammed well eat chips if they want anything other lol . Thanks all for the good thoughts for jess , and sorry but i tend to cook when i stress . Sometimes it takes years to clear the freezer from me .. hell i have jambali going back for 6 or 8 years lol .

VIP Member
    It sounds grim, but perhaps that infection will clear and an orthopedic surgeon will manage to patch things.

I wish your friend well, and you, try to keep as optimistic a view as possible.

As the old saying goes, "it ain't over till its over."

God's word says "Blessed are the memories of our loved ones". It seems to me that the memories you have will last a lifetime too. I know for a fact that the Lord does some of His best work when the doctors have given up. But regardless 'ole Jess will be healed either here or in eternity. And I would bet he will be saving a special spot for you for that elk shot if not this season, then some season to come when y'all are hunting together once more. Oh yeah, and in that hunting trip, he will no longer be in a wheelchair. My heart goes out to both of you, for I know how I would feel to say goodby to a friend like Jess, I have two like that down here. I will be lighting one too, you hang in there.
    "Eternity is Too Long to be Wrong"

Texas CHL Instructor & Holder & Utah CFP Instructor
    NRA Instructor & Life Member
    Member TSRA, USCCA, TCHA
    Christian, Heterosexual, Pro-2A, Pro-Life, Conservative, Common Sense American

VIP Member
    Prayers sent.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    For myself the best thing jess ever did is that he made me sit in one of his old chairs and follow him for a day
    Your a great friend indeed!

I was in a chair about a year before getting fitted for my prosthetic leg. (above knee) Your post reminds me of the time quite a few years ago me and some friends were heading from one fishing spot to another. Well my darn artificial leg was getting hung all up in a patch of briar's and I was moving kinda slow. My best friend just home from the Army came up and said hop on "I'm OK" HOP ON! I did and he carried me piggy back out of those briar's almost at a full run the whole time singing a Army cadence... man It felt like I was riding a horse!

God Bless the good friends we have.
    Last edited by TheShadow; July 16th, 2008 at 08:46 PM. Reason: spelling

Most likely re visit the thread tomorrow or later .. for now i have " comfort food " for both jess and the staff . Ill take it down as a thanks to the staff ( jess will eave there this time ) . there is not a heck of a lot anyone can do for next time be it next month or next year ... jess is just pretty much out of reserves , and will not slow down much . I have some folk coming in to shoot prarie dogs the 19th and was going to have him " Sheppard " them around as needed ( as well as keep an eye on new.. to us ... shooters ) Jess feels like he let me down because his body betrayed him . and now he cant take his own time and help another shooter . In fact he said today while riding a hospital bed ... Bob be nice with them they cannot know the rules if you dont explain them . Now that ladies and gentlemen is my friend . and pardon me while i haul bbq down for him and the staff who now cares for him .

Shadow Jess is my favorite gimp , not my word but his . I can tell you that i dont want the chair , but i by the same token am amazed by where jess and i can put a chair lol . Some folk look at us funny and he knows why , i forget ... I am just out with one of my buddys , and i forget that his needs look different to many . Ill say this .. there is no where he and i have not gone , no game we have not shot , and if he can heal up we will do it all over again one more time .

The candle is lit. Prayers are being sent his (and your) way.

RR,

Prayers for Jess and his good friend, YOU.

He is obviously a blessing in your life.
    Dollars to doughnuts he'd say the same for you.

God bless you both.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Hope ya get another season in, and hope to have friends like ya'll when I'm riding a bed.

sorry to hear about this. candles burning and prayers are sent.
    best of luck to you all.
    (SHERIFF BUFORD T. JUSTICE) "what the hell is
    the world coming too"

NRA LIFE MEMBER

U.S. ARMY FT.SILL, OKLA.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links