I'm starting to feel like an old man

This is a discussion on I'm starting to feel like an old man within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; It's been almost a week since my left hip started bothering me and it hasn't gotten any better, in fact its worse. I went to ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm starting to feel like an old man

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

It's been almost a week since my left hip started bothering me and it hasn't gotten any better, in fact its worse. I went to the ER last Monday, but they couldn't do anything except give me pain killers (go figure). There's a free medical clinic I might be able to go to, in order to obtain a doctors note for work.

I have the feeling I might need total hip replacement sooner than I thought. I'm only 23 years old, but I feel much older.

What sucks even more is that my employer does not provide medical insurance, instead they allow the employees to sign up with AFLAC, which pays you directly if you're ever injured or have an accident of some kind. At this point, I'd much rather have medical insurance so I won't have to deal with the entire medical bill. I suppose its time to consider private insurance, but coming up with the deductible could be a challenge.

For those of you who pray, please keep me in your prayers.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

VIP Member
    I'm sorry to hear all of this.

Young people often misjudge and worry about things that are unlikely. Unless you already have been told by a medical doctor that you need a hip replacement, or might need one soon, it is very very unlikely that a young man like yourself would need one.

There are many causes of hip pain that are no indication that a replacement is necessary. Often, these are relatively minor lower back issues; rest and ibuprofen and time will likely take care of it--- again, unless you have additional information about your hip you have not posted.

I wish you well.

And I hope that somehow we as a society find a way to make health care a lot more affordable and accessible for everyone.

I moderate another board on a different issue, and the participants frequently have unmet medical needs--because employers have chosen to not make health insurance accessible.

One positive thing I saw in Mr. Romney, was the fact that under his leadership, MA did in fact institute a form of universal health care insurance. They did not do it in a way I would have preferred, but at least they did something. We can only hope that after this election, regardless of who wins, this issue will be dealt with one way or another.

Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar
    I actually dislocated my hip when I was 11 years old and its never healed right since. Occasionally it will bother me, but its never been this bad in years. I don't have the range of motion in my left leg as a result, and I can't practice martial arts, can't become an LEO, and can't join the armed forces.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Administrator
    I dislocated my hip when I was 19 working for Uncle Sugar... its an injury of the tissue, not the bone. I highly doubt you will need a replacment.

The best thing that help me was riding a bike. Mines does get sore once in awhile, but it hasnt kept me from doing anything since. (except finish jump school)

And you can buy ins. on your own... I did, it isnt expensive for a young guy.
    Last edited by SIXTO; August 17th, 2008 at 09:18 PM.
    "Just blame Sixto"

VIP Member
    Again, I'm sorry to hear about this. Sometimes these issues can resolve with proper physical therapy, but without insurance that is probably beyond your reach.

Best bet, as you already mentioned, see what can be done for you at a "free clinic," or MOVE TO MASS. You will at least be able to get insurance there.

I'm serious. I have no idea what you do for a living, but would it be possible to move to MA where you will be more able to get a job with either insurance or a policy with no pre-existing condition exclusion?

You might be way ahead making less money but having health insurance.

Don't do this hastily, but look into the details first and see if it would make some sense for you.

As far as I know, MA is the only state which now makes it possible for all its residents to obtain health insurance. In fact, there is a penalty for not getting it.

It is subsidized for low wage earners, if I understand the concept and details correctly.

Maybe if you private message Jang he will be able to give you some details as I believe he is from MA.
    Last edited by Hopyard; August 17th, 2008 at 06:56 PM. Reason: add material

Distinguished Member Array sniper58's Avatar
    You're on my prayer list. Rhetorical question, but have you thought about finding a different job (one with benefits)? That might be easier than moving out of state. Don't freak until you've had a thorough exam (or two).
    Tim
    BE PREPARED - Noah didn't build the Ark when it was raining!
    Si vis pacem, para bellum
    ________
    NRA Life Member

VIP Member

Private insurance/individual policies/?for Sixto

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post

And you can buy ins. on your own... I did, it isnt expensive for a young guy.
    While people can indeed buy insurance on their own, it almost always comes with exclusions for pre-existing conditions. So, unless this young man chose to not disclose his condition on the questions/declarations, he would likely gain no advantage with regard to this particular issue from buying insurance. And then, once the insurer found out, the policy would get canceled--often after the bills have mounted up.

Still, it would be a good idea to purchase an individual policy, as other issues crop up.

Also, individual policies tend to have fairly poor coverage. It might sound good that they claim they will pay 75% of in-hospital costs, until you realize that might leave you owing 25% of 30, 40, 50K or more--and the co-pays/deductibles which may add hundreds or thousands of additional expenses.

This young man should attempt to get insurance coverage, either by changing jobs to a large employer where the policy does not exclude pre-existing conditions, or by purchasing his own policy--to the extent that is practical.

Does Ohio have some sort of high risk health insurance pool that folks with pre-existing conditions can buy into? Most states don't. I've heard of such a thing, but that they usually are not marketed not affordable.

The MA system, makes insurance available to all with no pre-existing condition exclusions (if I understand the MA plan correctly). That is the reason I made the suggestion I did.

On another related matter, it is not possible for us to know if he injured the bone when the dislocation occurred, or the extent of additional damage he suffered from not receiving adequate treatment.
    Though I think it is unlikely a hip replacement will be necessary, we can not know.

Administrator
    Quote Originally Posted by Hopyard View Post

Does Ohio have some sort of high risk health insurance pool that folks with pre-existing conditions can buy into? Most states don't. I've heard of such a thing, but that they usually are not marketed not affordable.
    I don't know... but how about an HSA set up? A a lot of employers are going to this, it might be an option to limit your liability.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Senior Moderator
    +1 SIXTO's bike riding advice

I damaged my knees playing Basketball through the years after I hit 35 they started aching daily.

My Doctor told me to give up running and start biking, so I got a stationary bike and a rowing machine and use one of them daily.......What do you know my knees feel better

Pedaling a bike is a non strenous strength/endurance building activity for your lower legs
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Just had a call from my step mom. My brothers 34 year old son (middle of 3 kids) passed away in his sleep last night. He had just gotten married last week. He has had health problems for some time, but this was totally unexpected. Awaiting results of autopsy, but heart attack is what it looks like.

Seems like being the middle child in my family was not a good thing to be. I lost my middle son in a car wreck in 98, he had just married 6 months before he was killed. He and my brothers son were only a few months apart in age.

I know the pain my brother is feeling. No parent should have to bury a child.
    Freedom doesn't come free. It is bought and paid for by the lives and blood of our men and women in uniform.

USAF Retired
    NRA Life Member

Distinguished Member Array Agave's Avatar
    When I was 19 I got misdiagnosed with osteoarthritis. That was probably the scariest month of my life. A service or sports injury reminds me that I am alive the vast majority of the time. There is a magic number that keeps me going: 1000. 1000mg of Ibuprofen and 1000mL of water. Ease into it.
    The preceding post may contain sarcasm; it's just better that way. However, it is still intended with construction and with the Love of my L-rd Y'shua.

NRA Certified Pistol Instructor, Tennessee Certified Instructor

Sorry to hear you're having hip trouble, hope you can work out the medical costs to get it taken care of.

Something I use a lot for my spinal pain, along with my prescriptions:
    500mg of Calcium twice daily
    250mg of Magnesium once in the morning (to metabolize the Calcium) along with 800mg of ibuprofen.
    Momentum or Doan's brand pills for back pain - two pills every four hours or so (it's magnesium salycilate). Seems to work a little better than 800mg of ibuprofen most days.

My docs aren't really happy about all the ibuprofen I take (hard on the kidneys) but sometimes you do what it takes to get relief.
    Good luck,
    Jack

I had a buddy who lived with a lot of joint pain as a result of being a professional wrestler when he was young, and as a result of a real bad cart accident when he was middle aged. He told me he was nearly crippled by pain until he started taking glucosomine and condroitin supplements (sp?). He swears by the stuff and says, while it doesn't make him feel 25 again, it makes it where he is only slightly uncomfortable instead of being in unbearable pain.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

You are in my pyayers : You are mighty young to have hip problemes i myself bad back middle 40's i know the pain can be bad &yes most dr,s want to pill you up you are a mite young to be on legal narcotics if you can find another way or medicationto use please do the pain pills at 23 it sounds like a addiction waiting to happen (hope not)take care get another opinnion if can mabey if you swim or move around in a poll it might help - aurthritis might be building up moving usualy helps hope you get better shoot strait god bless /hogdaddy

Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I actually dislocated my hip when I was 11 years old and its never healed right since.........
    I dislocated my hip in a car accident at age 25 (I'm 57 now). I still recall waking up on the emergency room floor as one of the doctors was jumping up and down on the hip joint (to pop it back in) while others held it aligned. It did eventually pop back in. My father (who was an anesthesiologist at the same hospital) said I had about a 50/50 chance of future hip problems, as the dislocation might have adversely affected the joint's ability to lubricate itself.

I consider myself lucky as the hip has been OK. But it sounds like you were one of the other 50%. Still, it sounds like a correctable problem........

Best of luck
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links