Family Dog is going to sleep tomorrow...

This is a discussion on Family Dog is going to sleep tomorrow... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Man this sucks. My Mom's idiot dog decided to bite one of our neighbors for no good reason today. He's a 160 lb Great Dane, ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Family Dog is going to sleep tomorrow...

Family Dog is going to sleep tomorrow...

Man this sucks. My Mom's idiot dog decided to bite one of our neighbors for no good reason today. He's a 160 lb Great Dane, thankfully the bite wasn't deep. Through the skin but not the muscle or so I'm told. He's not bad with family members, but is too dominant with strangers and finally went too far. Now my Mom, who loves her pets only slightly less than her children, gets to drive him halfway across the state to be put down and tested for rabies by her sister, a licensed vet. She's driving the rest of the way here to Baltimore with my Dad to meet me for the weekend, it's been a long planned trip. Dad and I are running in the Army Ten Miler on Sunday. What was supposed to be a happy weekend is now going to involve lots of weeping and moping. Stupid dog. Sorry, I just needed to vent. He's a really cool dog when he behaves himself. I wish there were some other way, but next time (and there will be a next time if he's not put down) someone could end up dead. Not a risk worth taking.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

2. Remove Ads

I'm so sorry to hear about that. Vent all you need to.

I'm sorry to hear that man. But I respect your mom for the decision she is making, she's a very responsible pet owner.
    Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
    George S. Patton

VIP Member
    I had to bring my dog to the vet when I was around twelve after he bit someone. My Father gave me the option and I took care of it. It was hard, I took him home and burried him in a field. It is good to vent.

Y'all have my prayers for sure.

Having to depart with a canine friend is always a difficult thing, regardless of the circumstances...I share your concerns.

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I would put him somewhere he could not bite anyone else. But I would not kill my dog for anyone. My dog has complete trust in me. To kill me a person or another dog would have to go through my dog. And to kill him they would have to come through me. If he bites someone that is my fault not his. I am the human and what he does is my responsibility.

But that is just my opinion.
    “Dogs offer one of the most stable and enduring friendships on this earth.”

Willard Scott

That does suck. Why do they have to put it down? A few months ago my dog bit a kid, who followed my kids in the house after repeated warnings by them. We have rabies tags, but TX law apparently states that the dog still has to be quarantined at a Vet's office for 11 days to be monitored. Is that an option for your Mom? If the dog has rabies it should show up and then they can take care of it then, but if not the pooch gets to go back home.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Sorry to hear the sad news.

Thank you for the kind words everyone. To those who question this decision; I understand where you're coming from, but make sure you understand the situation. This is a 160 lb carnivorous killing machine fully capable of tearing a limb off with one bite and shake of his head. He can run like the wind and will ignore our calls to come when he chooses. Its not from lack of training, Mom's had the dog since he was 10 weeks old and she has lots of experience training pets. He just has a dominant personality. He's been taught to accept Mom in particular as the alpha dog, but now he's shown a willingness to attack unprovoked. Our neighbor was just walking down the road. This is in a fairly rural area but lots of people walk and run on the road. He can jump anything short of a hurricane fence and completely ignores shock collars and invisible fences. Short of keeping him penned all the time, which would be cruel in the extreme considering the way he loves to run, this is the only responsible option. Had the dog been provoked he would get a second chance. He wasn't.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

That is the difference. My dog lives with me. When I am in the house he is in the house. He has a dog run and a cable hooked to the back deck. He has never been to the road or to a neighbors. If I go somewhere he can't I leave him in the house watching TV.
    “Dogs offer one of the most stable and enduring friendships on this earth.”

Willard Scott

What about muzzling him so he can't bite when outside.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Well, once an animal develops an aggressive attack behavior toward humans the trait stays with them.
    It can be minimized to some degree but, it always remains tucked away inside.
    Certain actions by people can always act as "trip levers" and the animal can instantly and unexpectedly resurface.
    It's really not the animals fault because (just like humans) they can Whoops! and forget themselves for a few seconds or they can revert when they are stressed.
    Unfortunately when the animal does revert - the damage is done and some person is bitten.
    These days when pet owners can be held 100% liable for the actions of their pets, it can cost you everything if somebody is injured.
    I hope that your Mom does not get sued.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by DodgeFB View Post
    I would put him somewhere he could not bite anyone else. But I would not kill my dog for anyone. My dog has complete trust in me. To kill me a person or another dog would have to go through my dog. And to kill him they would have to come through me. If he bites someone that is my fault not his. I am the human and what he does is my responsibility.

You speak of trust, but there's no way to trust that dog again for attacking an innocent person unprovoked. I think you're letting emotions get in the way of good decision making. RoadRunner and his mom are the epitome of responsible dog ownership. They gave that animal every chance to live in a happy, loving home but the dog was unable to behave for some reason. Consistent, unprovoked aggression can't be tolerated whether it's from a gangbanger, a 160# great dane or your loving family pet that trusts you completely.

Administrator
    One thing you could try is to have the dog tested for chemical imbalances - especially Thyroid.
    Also sometimes tranquilizers can be given daily to lower anxiety and stress levels.
    Just something to think about which may or may not be a possible alternative.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links