Here we go again.... knee surgery (updated)

This is a discussion on Here we go again.... knee surgery (updated) within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Well, I had an MRI Friday before last and the news came in this Wednesday. I have a missing ACL , a ruptured Meniscus that ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Here we go again.... knee surgery (updated)

Here we go again.... knee surgery (updated)

Well, I had an MRI Friday before last and the news came in this Wednesday. I have a missing ACL , a ruptured Meniscus that has folded itself into the knee joint (this seems to be what is causing me the most pain) and a deficiency of the lining cartilage of the knee, what ever that means.

This all means that I am going to have at least one, probably 2 knee operations in the near future. I find out this coming Wednesday when the first will be. It will be a "scope" type operation to fix the Meniscus which the Doc says will help a lot with the pain and swelling.

Should be a couple of weeks off from work so when that happens, you guys may get sick of seeing me post.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

2. Remove Ads

Good luck!! Did you have problems with your knees when you where heavier?

VIP Member
    Mike's knees suffered major damage while he was in the Navy. He has had trouble with them since. Although he didn't stress it too much, it was obvious that one of his reasons for losing the weight was the knee problems. I don't recall how many surgeries he has had already, but it was several.

Mike, keep us informed about your surgeries and condition. Who will be doing the surgery? Just wondering, one of the best in the country is in Birmingham. Dr. Kenneth Bramlett - Orthopaedic Hip Knee Shoulder Surgeon Birmingham Alabama
    George

Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe. Albert Einstein

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    I ruptured the meniscus in my right knee and had surgery. My left one has been torn for about a year, but I've been unwilling to get surgery until the pain gets to be more than I can take. Don't want to be medically down for flying for a month. Have a good and speedy recovery!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

So sorry to hear this Mike. My R knee began hurting on my 58th BD, right on cue. Where are these golden years?
    "God makes the wind. We set the sails."

My Avatar is the AAF flight jacket patch from my father's B-24 Liberator in WW2. The name was "Touch Me Not", referring to Ack-Ack and enemy fighters, of course. He was a member of the 485th BG,15th AAC, Italy. God rest his soul.

Growing older is sometimes frustrating...everything is either too tight or it leaks. If it doesn't hurt, it doesn't work!
    Part of life after 5 or 6 decades...

TN Mike...I think your running days are over...stick to that bike.

Take care...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Quote Originally Posted by HITCH KING View Post
    Good luck!! Did you have problems with your knees when you where heavier?
    Oh yeah. I had more problems then than I do now but this operation is to repair the tear and, the Doc tells me, will reduce the amount of pain in the right knee considerably. I hope it works but, if it doesn't, I'm pretty sure I can take the pain. I've taken it this long after all.

Quote Originally Posted by dr_cmg View Post
    Mike's knees suffered major damage while he was in the Navy. He has had trouble with them since. Although he didn't stress it too much, it was obvious that one of his reasons for losing the weight was the knee problems. I don't recall how many surgeries he has had already, but it was several.
    Yep, George is right, this will make number 6 if I remember correctly. On the right knee anyway. I'm going for double digits before I'm 60!

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post

TN Mike...I think your running days are over...stick to that bike.
    Agreed.......mostly. I love to run. I am having a real hard time accepting the fact that I just can't do it anymore. And to make matters worse, the Shelby County Sheriffs Dept. and the Memphis PD are on a big hiring kick right now and I really, really want to apply for one or both.

Getting old really stinks out loud.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Administrator
    Hey Mike. Hope that it all goes smooth and easy for you and that your back up to snuff real soon.

DC Founder
    Ouch. Sorry to hear it, Mike. Keep us up to date and we'll be watching for you 24/7 pretty soon....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Had mine done about 8 yrs ago torn miniscus also they do it lapo scopic drill 3 holes in the knee and clean it out. I went in in the morning & out by 1pm, on crutches for about 3 wks, then a cane and went to physical therapy for a couple of months & good as new, no problems even when i am out in the woods deer hunting, you will do well Mike good luck with it

Knee Operation update. I have the date.

I will be undergoing a right knee operation, to repair a torn meniscus and get rid of some bone spurs that caused the tear, on the 20th of November. The Doc tells me I will be off work for 4 weeks but should be up and walking around, not at 100% of course after a couple of days. Light walking for a week or two, then working on it to get it back to normal by 6 weeks.
    He tells me I should have much less pain swelling and general discomfort after the operation. I'm REALLY looking forward to that. He says I might even be able to start jogging again as long as I get a good brace to wear while doing it.

So, starting around the 21st or so of November, you all can expect to see me posting a lot more for a month or so. Fair warning and all.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Distinguished Member Array Ghettokracker71's Avatar
    Don't rush the walking part. I had my knee surgery(arthoroscopy, fulkerson osteotemy, and open lateral release.) couple years ago, and am happy I went through with it. I know I'll never run ,or do anything better than afast walk, but im alot more pain free.

Wish you the best, worst is when you just get up to do something on crutches,and realize you have to use the little boys room or something silly,and get back up lol.

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Glad that you have the date set, I know that brought a sigh of relief. Best of Luck!

DC Founder
    I merged your two threads, Mike and moved it to Bob Ford's Place so we can keep up with your progress and recovery. Keep us posted.
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Knee surgery is a walk in the park. I had my right ACL arthroscopically reconstructed in 2001 via allograft. I also had some minor meniscal tearing cleaned up. I was walking without crutches within the week, as well as driving (standard shift). Six weeks post I was diving again. Rehab isn't terrible, especially if you are in good shape going in. My father had an "unhappy triad" (ACL, PCL and MCL) tear back in the late 60's, before they could do reconstructions- he has a hug scar, but has still had no problems with the knee subsequently. He did have some bone spurs cleaned out 30+ years later, but it was a 'scope and he was out for about 2 days.

You'll be glad you did this.

Bit of advice- as someone who ~just~ (4 weeks yesterday) had orthopedic surgery (my third in 10 years) get a nerve block. It rocks. Stays in for a few days post op for pain control, and no groggy feeling. Being comfortable really helps to speed the recovery process along as well.
    A girl can never have too much jewelry or too much weaponry.

- Princess Meredith NicEssus

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links