Important Health News From the VA. Now facing a decision....

This is a discussion on Important Health News From the VA. Now facing a decision.... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Okay, my Docs at the VA have gotten together and they all agree: I have to lose at least 100 pounds and keep it off ...

Thread: Important Health News From the VA. Now facing a decision....

Lightbulb Important Health News From the VA. Now facing a decision....

Okay, my Docs at the VA have gotten together and they all agree: I have to lose at least 100 pounds and keep it off or I'm looking at a very early demise. Well, that caught my attention right quick! My BMI is 41.9 (morbidly obese) and I have a serious (life threatening case) of sleep apnea. I'm also halfway into congestive heart failure.

This of course has led to much prayer, family consultations and deep research. I'm leaning in the direction of the Lap Band Bariatric surgery being done this summer at the VA. My insurance will cover it and my family supports this move. I realize just how much my life will change. I'm actually looking for folks who either know somebody (well enough to relate progress) or have had the less invasive lap band procedure themselves. Looking for some feedback. Prayer is always welcome, too!
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

2. Remove Ads

Wow! That's a wake-up call, for sure. I have no knowledge of those procedures, but I've had my own close calls...one, 2.5 years ago...I was almost gone, a serious and almost fatal MRSA infection starting in the kidney...spread through my entire system.

It's a wake-up call and one I'm sure that you will take seriously. I understand the frustration and I wish you well...one high school educator to another.
    I keep a forum prayer list...I'll add your situation.
    I wish you well...keep us posted...you have great inputs here.

ret/Ken
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

I know a guy had the lap band done and he lost over 150 pounds last time i checked and he's been on it for about 2 years
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Jim: Regardless of how, we know you'll do the right thing. Listen to Cathy and your Doctors. Move forward, and you'll have many productive years harassing students, family, and friends. We're counting on you!

DC Founder
    Sorry to hear that, Jim. While I don't know of anyone, personally, that has been through the procedure I have heard of several and they seem to have done pretty well. I believe they have been doing that procedure long enough that the risks associated with it have been drastically reduced. If needed, I would probably do it....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    The whole point of the surgery, I believe, is to "help" you eat less. I would try a less drastic means first. Get to a Weight Watchers or some other reputable weight loss clinic. Please, there are many other less drastic, conservative and safe alternatives to try first. Check them out.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Administrator
    I do know a woman that was extremely obese and had the procedure done and she is actually skinny now.
    One thing that I remember her saying was that she could not drink any beverage containing sugar or she would get really ill. I don't know if that is common or not.
    Regardless...Good Luck.
    You might want to try Green Tea Concentrate first. It is a real appetite killer.

Distinguished Member
    I would try Weight Watchers first, my neighbor has lost over a 100 pounds and is keeping it off. I can't believe the change it has made in him, he is always outside doing something now, before I would never see him. It sounds like you are motivated enough by your health to be successful with it. I know this sounds like a commercial, but it has worked for him.

Get a sleep study done if you haven't already! A bad case of apnea should be treated as a serious problem all by itself. From personal experience I can tell you that a non-surgical alternative is available. CPAP (Continuous Positive Airway Pressure) machines can be used to keep your airway "inflated" during sleep so that you avoid those interruptions that can contribute to high blood pressure, heart problems and stroke. It can even improve your waking energy level to make activity easier. They may seem like a pain in the butt to use, but it is worth the minor inconvenience! Your insurance company or medi-care should be able to cover the cost - heck, it saves them money in the long run because of the problems it helps avoid. I use mine religiously ... it even eleminated all my (notorious!) snoring.

Nick

Retired FBOP
    NRA Life member

One of my high school teachers lost over half his body weight after having a gastric bypass (I'm not sure of which specific procedure). He also had sleep apnea and was hugely obese. He looked much, much healthier overall when I saw him after losing the weight. That said, if you can, try just changing your diet first. Start walking or swimming to burn some more calories, lift weights to tone up your muscles and burn even more. It requires a commitment, but the results will be worth it. Best of luck to you.
    - Kurt
    “Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it.” ~Pericles of Athens
    Primary Carry - Colt Commander .45 in a Brommeland Max-Con V

Ex,

While I am not carrying as many extra pounds as you, I do have sleep apnea.

Nearly 9 years ago, I was diagnosed. My wife first spotted the problem.
    Sleep study is simple to do. CPAP works, and you can tell the difference.

It sounds like you are taking this seriously. Good for you.
    With that attitude, you will do all you need to do.

My prayers are with you and your family.

Mike
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Administrator
    Drop the weight, its worth doing.

My wife does the lap band in her O/R and the seem to be no dig deal anymore, but they should be used in extreme cases. Its always better to do things the old fashioned way, but if it has to come off, it has to come off one way or the other.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Lead Moderator
    Someone I know had the gastric by pass. It helped a lot , but 5-6 years later some weight was regained (nothing drastic though). Wishing you the best.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links