Given a new chance at life

This is a discussion on Given a new chance at life within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Hello guys, I have been out of touch for a few weeks, but thanks to the skills of some great doctors and modern medicine I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Given a new chance at life

Given a new chance at life

Hello guys,

I have been out of touch for a few weeks, but thanks to the skills of some great doctors and modern medicine I was pulled back from the brink of death. My story is too long to tell here, but it all started with a massive infection throughout my bloodstream. My refusal to let my wife call EMS and get me to the hospital resulted in an extra two weeks of being bedridden while my systems were failing one by one. My kidneys completely shut down and I was in a constant state of delirium. Finally, after falling twice while attempting to get to the bathroom my wife overruled me and called EMS.

Twelve days in the hospital with several dialysis treatments and massive doses of antibiotics have finally got me on the road to recovery. The doctors still don't know if my kidneys will ever return to normal, but at least I now have another chance at life.

I learned a very valid lesson during all this, that is DON"T ever assume an illness is something to be taken lightly. Get yourself to a doctor and let him decide what needs to be done.

For at least a few more weeks I will not be as active here as I was before, but I will eventually get my strength and endurance back, and hope to once again be a regular participant.

My best to all of you.

gimpy
    "Society never advances. It recedes as fast on one side as it gains on the other. It undergoes continual change; but this change is not [an improvement]. For everything that is given, something is taken."
    Ralph Waldo Emerson

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Matt
    Battle Plan (n) - a list of things that aren't going to happen if you are attacked.
    Blame it on Sixto - now that is a viable plan.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MattLarson View Post
    Best wishes for a speedy and complete recovery.

Matt
    +1 (and always listen to the Wife!)
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Wow. Scary. Hope you are back to normal real soon.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Thank goodness for your wife, and for the doctors and nurses. I hope you continue to improve, and continue to enjoy many years.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Congratulations on your second chance!! What a blessing and a miracle, you're still here. Thank goodness for a great wife!

When you've completed all your antibiotics, get on a good regimen of pre and probiotics. The antibiotics knock out all the good bacteria along with the bad in your gut. By taking the pre/probiotics, you'll replace all the good ones, and heal all the faster. Not only that, but your immune system will be stronger as well.

Can't blab enough about good protein for building all your systems back up...

Glad you're back!

Besides, medically, is there anything you're going to do 'different'? Or did you make some new goals since you have gotten a new lease on life?
    "Let me control the textbooks, and I will control the state." - Adolf Hitler

Holy cow. Glad you are on the upswing. Hang in there and get better.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Senior Moderator
    Glad you are on the mend.

Listen to your wife!!!!!!!!
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    Glad things are working out and thank you for posting an honest explanation of what happened. Maybe your post will cause some other guys to get medical care in a timely way.

Much as we would all like to think we are tough and stuff will just go away and we will get better on our own, it doesn't always work that way and we need to be willing to seek out help.

That said, and I don't know if this was an issue for you, too too many are not in a position to get medical help in a timely manner, either because they can't afford it or live too far from it. That is something which our society must change.

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    Wow, that hits hard at my home because i was a typical strong headed man too. I burnt my leg on the exhaust pipe on my bike. The burn healed but my ankle started hurting and within days my leg locked up and i couldnt move without emence pain. The wifes bad is a doctor and said the burn caused a infection in the lymph channels and was spreading upwards towards my brain. After 2 weeks of anitbiotics I was ok. Since that i have decided i should not take illness lightly.
    Sorry didnt mean to highjack your thread but i wanted to reitterate the importance of getting help.
    Last edited by Hydrashok Glock; December 2nd, 2008 at 02:09 PM. Reason: Proper English
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Distinguished Member Array pcon's Avatar
    Best wishes for an uneventful recovery. Never take one day for granted! Welcome Back!
    Μολὼν λαβέ

memento mori

Distinguished Member Array Gunnutty's Avatar
    Prayers sent for continued recovery. Glad you're back.
    We will be much better off when we learn to deal with things as they really are, instead of how we wish them to be!

Glad to hear you made it!

Next time, call sooner!

Good luck Gimpy....speedy recovery...
    Magazine <> clip - know the difference

martyr is a fancy name for crappy fighter
    You have never lived until you have almost died. For those that have fought for it, life has a special flavor the protected will never know

Good luck Gimpy, glad you are doing better.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links