Help if you can (6 year old boy's last wish)

This is a discussion on Help if you can (6 year old boy's last wish) within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I'm usually not one for posting things like this but this one hits home for me guys and gals as my mother died of cancer ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

I'm usually not one for posting things like this but this one hits home for me guys and gals as my mother died of cancer as well as an Aunt recently and this little boy lives not too far from my store.

I've had several customers and have heard people standing in line at the Post Office talking about this little boy (Damien Hammonds). He has cancer and the only thing he wants for Christmas is as many Christmas cards as he can receive.

I just did a search and came up with this to make sure it's legit.

There is a little guy that lives around my home (Robeson County, NC) that has terminal cancer. He is 7 years old, his name is Damien Hammonds - He made a "Last Wish" request to his mama that was to see how many Christmas cards he can get this year.

I know this is real short notice - but if you could just find a card and send it to this little boy it would mean allot to him and his family. (Business holiday cards are great also) I want to put a smile on his face when the mail man has to bring him a bag of cards because they wont fit in his mail box.

Feel free to forward

Damien Hammonds
    409 Burns Road
    Lumberton, NC 28358

Just put a stamp on one for them. I know all of us this year are having it kinda rough due to the economy. (I've been laid off myself) But you just have to stop for a moment and think about the things you do have. Having good health is a real blessing.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Consider it done.
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Sent to everyone in my e-mail. I will get the card in the mail in the morning.
    Glock 27
    BENELLI NOVA

Thanks everyone,

I have grand kids that age and I just can't imagine losing one of them.

Administrator

It's not that I did not believe you but, I like to verify things for myself before any of these types of requests are made of our DC members.

It's legitimate. Send the kid a card.

Click Here Lunch for Life® - Find a Family

First Row ~ 29th name up from the bottom.

VIP Member
    Done. It will be in the mail in the morning.

Quote Originally Posted by alelks View Post
    I want to put a smile on his face when the mail man has to bring him a bag of cards because they wont fit in his mail box.

Feel free to forward

Damien Hammonds
    409 Burns Road
    Lumberton, NC 28358
    Priceless. I've forwarded this through all of my e-mail addresses to my chosen contacts from each. I have an extremely large network this way. I'm almost certain this will domino in effect and reach at least quadruple the amount I've sent. Four cards will be coming from this house alone. God bless you for posting this and getting the word out.

DC Founder
    Done. It'll be in the mail tomorrow....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Wish I would have spotted this earier...school is now out until next year...I could have had 160 kids focus on this task..., but I'll send one and pass on the info.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

+1 our card will go out in Saturdays mail and i will forward this to my email contacts

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    It's not that I did not believe you but, I like to verify things for myself before any of these types of requests are made of our DC members.

Actually, it is the first column, 29th up from the bottom.

Is it legit? Or WAS it legit? The Lunch for Life page is not dated and shows no indication of when it was made or updated. However, Damien's journal page's entry says he is doing well and here is no indication of a "last wish" being made there. You would think if he made such a wish, that it would have been posted. If he would have taken a turn for the worst, it would have been posted, but it isn't.

He went in remission in 2006 and in Nov 2007 was still cancer free.

http://www.caringbridge.org/cb/viewJ...od=executeInit

MONDAY, NOVEMBER 05, 2007 10:50 AM, CST
    Just want to let everyone that Damien is doing great and that he still cancer free. For all of you that stop by his page please check out this website The Loneliest Road Campaign. Van is one of the father's that is on this ride. I met Van and his son Kai during the time Damien was diagnosed. This family was our ROCK. We looked to them for guidance and strength. Hope everyone that reads this has a blessed day.

MONDAY, FEBRUARY 20, 2006 06:15 PM, CST
    Sorry we haven't updated in a while.
    Good new to all Damien is in remission!!!!!!!!!!
    Thanks to all that has helped us in some way or another.
    Unless somebody can come up with something a little more current or documented, it sounds like an urban myth...the kind of story you overhear people talking about in a post office and the like. Note that the OP has no direct knowledge of the current condition of Damien.
    Considering yourself to be defenseless is the first administrative step to becoming a victim.

Unless somebody can come up with something a little more current or documented, it sounds like an urban myth...the kind of story you overhear people talking about in a post office and the like. Note that the OP has no direct knowledge of the current condition of Damien.

All we're talking about here is spending .42 on a stamp and sending out a card. There's no way they can get any "personal information" from you and I see no threat to me at all. Send the child a card guys...don't overthink this one too much.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post

I hear you QKShooter. I like to verify things myself.

Thanks for the link.

I know you guys and gals don't know me very well (yet) but that will change over time. I'm one of the most trust worthy individuals you'll ever meet. I guess I'm old school and have old values. I can remember the day when a handshake or a mans word is all that was needed. It amazes me that there aren't that many people in this world that still have those values. Anyway that's another subject for another time.

I REALLY appreciate everyone's help in getting the word out.

Quote Originally Posted by alelks View Post
    I hear you QKShooter. I like to verify things myself.

Thanks for the link.

I know you guys and gals don't know me very well (yet) but that will change over time. I'm one of the most trust worthy individuals you'll ever meet. I guess I'm old school and have old values. I can remember the day when a handshake or a mans word is all that was needed. It amazes me that there aren't that many people in this world that still have those values. Anyway that's another subject for another time.

I REALLY appreciate everyone's help in getting the word out.
    Amen brother....ours are going out tomorrow...one from each family member....four in all. Sure the e-mail contacts will do the same. About 135 of them!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links