At home, recovering...

At home, recovering...

This is a discussion on At home, recovering... within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Sorry guys, I just need to rant a little.... Well, I've got some good news and some bad news for you guys. Good news is, ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: At home, recovering...

At home, recovering...

Sorry guys, I just need to rant a little....

Well, I've got some good news and some bad news for you guys. Good news is, I'm home recovering from my surgery now, so for the next month I'll be on here much more often. Bad news is, I'm home recovering from my surgery now, so for the next month I'll be on here much more often.

Well in mid-November I started having some severe back, arm, and neck pain. (And it was about time, I was starting to feel left out. I was the only Maintenance Team Chief not having back problems! ) So I went to the docs, they tried pain meds, shots, referred me to a chiropractor. Nothing worked. Finally referred me to a surgeon two weeks ago. He examined me, took a look at my MRI's and said herniated disc between C6 and C7, you need surgery.

Went in on Monday for the surgery, had the disc removed, new bone put in, the vertebrae fused together and a titanium plate and screws installed. Got discharged Tuesday night, and now I'm sitting at home in a neck collar for the next month.

It amazes me how slow the military medical group can be. They wanted me to wait until the 24th of Feb so that they could schedule a surgical clearance appointment. Even though the surgery was already scheduled for the 2nd. And don't get me started on convalescent leave, they still haven't decided if I'm going to get it or not.

Thanks guys, just needed to get that off my chest.
    TSgt. Lickey

It takes a college degree to break'em;
    and a high school education to fix'em!

VIP Member
    As a former sufferer of herniated disk... am happy I am not feeling your pain!
    But I am glad everything came out OK. Now give yourself lots of rest and be patient!

Bad news is, I'm home recovering from my surgery now, so for the next month I'll be on here much more often.
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Administrator
    I hope you get better soon. I know first hand what a PIA the military medical people can be. I sat in an Army hospital for 3 days with a dislocated hip. Good times.
    "Just blame Sixto"

A1C Lickey,

Heal quickly and well amigo!

I hope they approve the convalescent leave for you. You have enough to deal with recovering and shouldn't have to fight the system.

Regards, Quiet1
    Illegitimus Non Carborundum

Hang in there, if you think the military medical system is bad I could get cranked up about some of what I've experienced there.

Hope all goes well with the system and you heal up fast.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    And don't get me started on convalescent leave, they still haven't decided if I'm going to get it or not.
    Convalescent leave? Heck, if you were a Marine they'd have made you do the surgery yourself!!

Get well quick!
    Rick

EOD - Initial success or total failure

Senior Moderator
    Hope you heal up soon.
    A real man loves his wife, and places his family as the most important thing in life. Nothing has brought me more peace and content in life than simply being a good husband and father.

VIP Member
    As a retired AF aircraft maintainer myself I don't see how they cannot approve convalescent leave. You can't perform your duties and not much in the Acft Maint field that is even desk work.

I'd recommend to you that you get a copy of your x-ray's and make sure you get a copy of your medical records. Come retirement/discharge time they will help you get tax free money in the form of VA disability. At 20 years your retirement will be less than half of what your take home pay is, so every break you can get for yourself helps.

Just noticed your signature. Ain't that the truth!!

Good Luck I'm disabled from a dislocated c7-t1 from an accident,and learned I have 2 herniated discs in my lower back that are causing pain also.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Administrator
    Wishing you a fast & complete recovery.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

Distinguished Member Array C9H13NO3's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by rstickle View Post
    Convalescent leave? Heck, if you were a Marine they'd have made you do the surgery yourself!!

Get well quick!

What is this surgery you speak of? Herniated disc? Motrin, water, and rest. Arm ripped off by heavy machinery? Motrin, water, and rest!

To OP...get well soon!
    -Ryan

All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing.

Wishing you a speedy recover, and thank you for your service to our country.

-JT

Start trying to tie your injuries with your job. Service related disability status will help you tremendously in the future. Save everything!
    Treat me good, I'll treat you better. Treat me bad, I'll treat you worse.

Here's to a speedy recovery... Remember to take it easy... Don't do anything to injury yourself any further....

And just think... You can rule DefensiveCarry.com for the next few weeks!!!
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

Quote Originally Posted by A1C Lickey View Post
    Well in mid-November I started having some severe back, arm, and neck pain. (And it was about time, I was starting to feel left out. I was the only Maintenance Team Chief not having back problems! ) So I went to the docs, they tried pain meds, shots, referred me to a chiropractor. Nothing worked. Finally referred me to a surgeon two weeks ago. He examined me, took a look at my MRI's and said herniated disc between C6 and C7, you need surgery.

Went in on Monday for the surgery, had the disc removed, new bone put in, the vertebrae fused together and a titanium plate and screws installed. Got discharged Tuesday night, and now I'm sitting at home in a neck collar for the next month.
    Very interesting.... I've not been on the board much lately, but when I finally do get back on, your post describes exactly what I am having done next Wednesday, the 11th. Only difference seems to be the location, I'm having C5 and C6 repaired. Part of C-6 is broken off inside the spinal canal and is actually sticking into the spinal cord, that explains my right arm and hand going numb from time to time.

Did all the hospital pre-op stuff today, so now I just wait.....

I do hope your recovery goes well and that you are as pain free as possible. I'll be checking back in here to see how you are progressing.... it will be like looking into my immediate future.

Be well !!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Sponsored Links