My ill Dad and receiving a WWII veterans medal

This is a discussion on My ill Dad and receiving a WWII veterans medal within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; My Dad is 88 years old and he recently got a letter inviting him to a function to receive the Louisiana Veterans Honor Medal. The ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    VIP Member

My Dad is 88 years old and he recently got a letter inviting him to a function to receive the Louisiana Veterans Honor Medal. The medal has been authorized by the Louisiana legislature to honor WWII veterans and others, Gov Jindal will be there and speaking also.

My father was really looking forward to it, we've made all the plans and arrangements to get him there comfortably, etc. However, yesterday he was admitted to the hospital for dehydration, urinary tract infection, etc. Normally not seriously life threatening stuff but definitely risky for 88 year olds. I'm confident he's going to get out of the hospital in about a 5-7 days, but he's going to miss the medal ceremony. His health comes first but we are all so disappointed he can't attend.

I'm trying to think how to handle this. Should I go and accept it on his behalf? Should I have it mailed to him? I was hoping some of you military guys might have an idea.

Here is the best idea that I can come up with: We attend the function, I could actually carry his WWII uniform jacket, and I pick up the medal on his behalf (not a pinning ceremony), I could video tape it for him to watch later, also maybe I could get one of the dignitaries to stop by the hospital and actually give it to him at a later date.

I'm sure with the Governor's busy schedule he would be very limited in trying to extend his short stay here to accommodate my father.

Is my idea okay or can you think of something else?
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Prayers for a speedy recovery for your Dad, sounds like a great American.
    Standing in for him as his son would be a honor, I like your idea.
    Try calling the Gov's office they may bite on the photo opp. in the hospital.
    While people are saying "Peace and safety," destruction will come on them suddenly, ... and they will not escape. 1Th 5:3

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    I'm with JAT40 call the Gov's office, from what I have seen of him on TV he seems to be a level headed and respectful person. He should go for it. If for some reason his schedule doesn't work attend the function and accept the award in your father's place. If allowed to say anything say how proud you are for your father and what he helped accomplish. You should videotape it and show it to him. Show him how proud you are and that it was an honor to stand for him. Thank him for me for his service and standing for those who couldn't stand for themselves and for future generations. BTW my father was a WWII vet as well. He passed in 2002.

also maybe I could get one of the dignitaries to stop by the hospital
    That would be very neat!

Administrator
    You are his Son. I would accept it for him.

Many years ago we managed to get some of the WWII medals due to my Father-In-Law.

He was a fairly modest and selfless person and really did not even want them.

His reasoning was that he was fortunate enough to ultimately survive when so many others did not and "coming home to " was reward enough for him.

But, my M-In-Law wanted them. So we managed to get some...some others we were unable to get.

So why am I posting this here?

In case anybody else wants to try...be aware of the fact that there was a huge fire where many of the WWII records were housed/stored. They were never transferred over onto computer files and so are gone forever.

And especially some medals that were earned later on in the war will be impossible to get.

Posted just FYI in case it helps some members who are thinking about trying.

Distinguished Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    +1!
    "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but the heart of the fool to the left." Eccl. 10:2

I agree with calling the gov's office. After the service your father has provided, they could do at least that much. Hope recovery is well!
    Smith & Wesson M&P9cCrossbreed Supertuck
    Ruger LCP
    Nitecore EX10 R2
    SOG Access Card 2.0

Be a faithful son and stand in for him...present it back to him with the help of your local VFW reps...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

VIP Member
    Thanks for the ideas and support, and BTW I just got back from the hospital and only after 24 hrs of antibiotic IV he's doing quite a bit better. FWIW I had a doctor tell me that urinary tract infections will adversely affect the mental condition of senior citizens. Thankfully they get back to normal once the infection is gone. My Dad was thinking pretty sharp today too, when I walked in the room he asked me did I go to the ceremony.

I did go to the ceremony and stood in for my father, brought his uniform jacket and attached the medal to it. I gave the announcer a note that my Dad was hospitalized and I was receiving it on his behalf. Also had a few seconds with Gov Jindal and our picture made together, with me holding the uniform jacket. He thanked me for my families service.....nice guy and down-to-earth.

I was proud to be there for him, but I'd carried him there on my back if it would have helped him be there personally. Medal aside his health is more important and that's what counts.

Thanks fellas.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Have to say you did a great Honor for your Dad ....Please tell him Thank You for keeping us Safe & Sound!!

Hoping for a speedy recovery..

Quote Originally Posted by JAT40 View Post
    Agreed!
    My Music: www.reverbnation.com/dickiefredericks
    New tunes added.
    "The Double Tap Center Mass Boogie. Learn it, know it, love it, shoot it. Good guys should live, bad guys not so much. " - Ted Nugent 09

That sounds like a plan to me. I would also write the Gov., and CC his handlers, and ask him if it would be possible for him to make the presentation to your Dad in his hospital room/home or a VFW closer to home than where the actual ceremony is.

Congrats to your Dad and many thanks for his service.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Glad your Dads doing better ,Ihad a UTI once and I thought I was gonna die.There isn't anything I wouldn't have done for my dad when he was alive.The medals our country gives is a small token of our gratitude for sacrifices our Men and Women make everyday to keep us safe
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JamesW51 View Post
    Have to say you did a great Honor for your Dad ....Please tell him Thank You for keeping us Safe & Sound!!

Hoping for a speedy recovery..
    +1. Prayers sent.
    If the public are bound to yield obedience to laws to which they cannot give their approbation, they are slaves to those who make such laws and enforce them.--Samuel Adams as Candidus, Boston Gazette 20 Jan. 1772

Veteran--USA FA
    NRA Benefactor Life
    Tennessee Firearms Association Life

What an honor. I'm glad you accepted for your Dad.

I hope he has a speedy recovery.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links