Adding to the 4 legged family soon...I hope!

This is a discussion on Adding to the 4 legged family soon...I hope! within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; So after the whole Rottweiler Rescue-Gone-Wrong nightmare three weeks ago, we decided to make a donation to Rottie Rescue, and also thinking about fostering, just ...

Thread: Adding to the 4 legged family soon...I hope!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

Adding to the 4 legged family soon...I hope!

So after the whole Rottweiler Rescue-Gone-Wrong nightmare three weeks ago, we decided to make a donation to Rottie Rescue, and also thinking about fostering, just to get that Rottie Karma back where it needs to be. My husband wants to buy a pup, but I think I'd rather spend it on a new gun and adopt an older dog who needs a home.

I'd found the perfect dog, got approved from rescue to get him, and then was going to go meet and pick him up tomorrow (my birthday!) but tonight I found out he was snapped up by another volunteer and so he's no longer available. Sad.

Then I got a random email about THIS beautiful boy!

He wandered into some poor lady's garage and set up housekeeping there a few weeks ago. No one has claimed him despite several "found dog" posters and posts online. She has to take him to the vet to check for microchips and make sure he's healthy...but I get to go evaluate him on the 15th and hopefully take the big guy home!

I've named him "Argos," after Odysseus' dog in the Oddesy. I love his story! But we're also thinking of maybe just naming him "Glock."

What do you think? Any ideas for a name?
    Ugh, the next 16 days are going to slog by painfully!!!

2. Remove Ads

id def go with Argos, thats a cool name and a great story of mythology

hopefully this one works out for you, good luck

plus, a good dog can be loads better than having an extra gun

I had no luck with about the only Kerry Blue Rescue Organizations, they had a lot of issues going on and internal politics..... so , I bought a pup. Shame, a dog missed out on a good home with lots of attention.

Glad you have had success with giving a Rott a good home.... good way to go.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    My wife and I are with you. Older dogs usually don't get adopted and need love just as much as young pups maybe more depending on their past. Argos is a fine name for such a strong looking fellow. BTW back in 91 my wife and I adopted a Border Collie who was about 2 years old. Her name was Mandy and became a therapy dog and best friend for my wife (wife had Hodgkins (Cancer)). Mandy passed in 2003 and is missed. She was a great friend and companion. Mandy was a 4 legged angel sent to my wife. My wife's cancer has been in remission since 92 so she is considered cured.

Well, good luck on the 15 days! That'll feel longer, LOL. Looks like he likes his food, as most Rotties.

VIP Member
    Adopting is the way to go. Mrs. GunnyBunny and I are heavily involved in rescue, specializing in Pointers. We have kept four of them that we had planned on placing and have placed many more. Older dogs are just as affectionate and are usually lower maintainance.

BTW we know of several Pointers, young and older, in the Southern California area desperately needing homes or fostering. If you think you can help, shoot me a PM and/or visit The California German Shorthaired Pointer Rescue .

No attempt to hijack the thread there Bunny, good work on saving Argos!!
    CCW permit holder for Idaho, Utah, Pennsylvania, Maine and New Hampshire. I can carry in your country but not my own.

Quote Originally Posted by Rock and Glock View Post
    Well, good luck on the 15 days! That'll feel longer, LOL. Looks like he likes his food, as most Rotties.
    Well, we're leaving for South Africa this weekend, so I won't be able to eval him till we return home. (But I'm told we will get to help handle and feed baby cheetas and possibly white tigers at the local breeding facility! That should help pass the time. *wink*)

GunnyBunny -- in addition to a VERY cool SN, kudos back atchya for rescue! Shoot me an email: sharis12032@gmail.com as I have a big list of contacts in rescue. We're in NC, but you never know.

Good for you, giving a rescued dog a good home is awesome. I am raising my second rottie and they are truly great dogs. If you need any help or advice feel free to PM me anytime. God Bless
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

As I sit on my couch with two rescued dogs, all I can say is "bless you"
    I'm not a lawyer or a LEO, just a pantload with a computer.

Here is my original rescue, "Blue." She's a Rottie mix (part Spanish Mastiff, part Malamute) and she is just an awesome dog! She caught a car thief when we lived in Orlando. (And she got a T-bone that night!)

Slickshot and I went the rescue rout with Dixie, our Red Coon Hound.
    Shes a little hard headed, but what female isn't LOL

Bravo on going the rescue rout!
    "A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on."
    - Sir Winston Churchill

You found him roaming around?

How about, "Romeo"?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Both my dogs are rescue dogs one is a pure bred black chow the other is a mutt both are great watchdogs and great with my grandkids. Everyone who sees the black for the first time is scared of him but unless you are trying to get in the house or yard he is a big puppy the mutt is very loveable UNLESS you try to touch my wife who he is very protective of. My dogs give me great pleasure they ask for nothing except food water and a pat on the head now and then and in return you get their total devotion

No rescue dog, but a rescue cat. Congrats, and I think you will have a new best friend.
    God bless our troops!

Our rescue dog is the one on the left. Not a great watchdog but a good friend.

Links