A rant about America

This is a discussion on A rant about America within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by farronwolf No longer is hard work and honesty used as a measure of a man/woman. It has become about who can end ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: A rant about America

Distinguished Member Array bandit383's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    No longer is hard work and honesty used as a measure of a man/woman. It has become about who can end up with the most toys it seems. Used to you could take a man at his word, you didn't need a 20 page legal contract for rental agreement, and when you agreed to the contract you paid the rent each month. Now it seems that both sides of any agreement are looking for either how they can get out of something or get away with something.

Folks are focused on whether their neighbors have a newer car, or bigger house than they do, or the latest this or that. Very rarely do you find someone going to work at a company and staying until retirment age because the grass is always greener somewhere else, and by the same token the companies don't look to retain the folks that have given 20 years of service because some young person will do the job for less money and benefits.
    Yep...agree. Have done a bit of counseling...seems many do not wish to start at the bottom and work their way up or even at minimum wage. Why...there is no loyalty on both sides of the fence. The internet has bread a generation of make believers, instant love, "You want to be a millionaire", and finger pushers instead of sweat.

Rick

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Doc Holliday's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    It will sadly, probably take another all out war, or a full-blown depression...or both, to make this country come back to its roots...we'll see.
    Maybe that's what we need?
    Since this thread is somewhat age related, let me first state that I am 32.

I have for a while now felt that America needs to be brought to her knees in order for some of this gluttony of selfishness to stop. How many freakin' Plasma TV's, cellphones, lap tops, cars, etc does one need??????

My heroes have always been those Americans that came up through the Depression and WWII. Those American's that answered the call in Korea (My uncle was USMC and was killed there 3-26-53 during the Vegas Cities battles) and Vietnam are also heroes of mine.

My wife's grandfather who recently passed came up as a kid and teen through the Depression in Cleveland Ohio. Joined the service, landed on Luzon in '44 and fought the Japanese. Made it through the hell in the Pacific with nothing worse then a serious case of Malaria. Came home and worked hard in a GM plant for almost 40 years. Raised two sons and was married for 60 years to the same lady. He was a tough, frugal, hardworking, man.

BuckeyeLCPL, don't worry. You are cut from the same cloth as those great Americans that came before you.
    Last edited by Doc Holliday; April 11th, 2009 at 09:24 PM.
    Why Ike, whatever do you mean? Maybe poker's just not your game Ike. I know! Let's have a spelling contest!

Great posts all of you, thanks. I do think that too many people want instant success these days as opposed to working their way up and earning what they have. People think they deserve nice things without trying to get them. Not at all trying to beat my own chest here, but as an example, there were kids I went to high school and college with who would get upset that their parents wouldn't buy them the latest cool car. I purchased my first vehicle at 18, a 77 GMC pick-up, on which I do most of the wrench turning myself. I also take much better care of that truck than those people do their vehicles, because I have a stake of ownership in it, and know that it represents my hard earned money. I also turned down very nice job offers after I graduated college to go be a grunt in the Marines. There is time to serve myself after my country, because someone has to do the latter in order for others to do the former.

People my age aren't perfect by any means, we have a lot of faults. But then again like Churchill said (Winston, not Ward): "Show me a young Conservative and I'll show you someone with no heart. Show me an old Liberal and I'll show you someone with no brains." It is the natural tendency in democracy for younger people to be a bit more liberal in their ideals.

I was talking with my little brother at dinner tonight about a related issue, we were talking about the guys we serve with (he is a Marine too, although not infantry), and why they joined up in a time of conflict. He sees a few more that say they joined for the benefits or to learn a skill, but by and large it is still answering a call when the nation needs them.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Distinguished Member
    Perspective here: 53 YO retired Marine LtCol. 1980-2001

Kids today are the same as kids of old. No patience, immature, self absorbed, brave, stupid, brilliant and screwed-up and well, you get it...the full spectrum.

I am lucky I made it this far and was so "perfect" in my youth.

In other words folks, no different than they have always been, just a different set of circumstances around them.

What has changed is the guidance and parenting skills they have received.

If there is a fault to be found, it is in the way some of them are raised.

Only the Village Idiot believes that it takes a village to raise a kid. What it takes are parents with standards, morals and values and the willingness to enforce and insist upon them.

Do that and it's funny how well a kid will turn out.

LCpl TJR, thank you for your service and Semper Fi.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

It always drove me nuts while I was in seeing and reading some of the headlines from some people or groups towards the military and their extreme views.

These same people have never left the comfortable confines of their home states or even the contintental US....they probably couldn't put a finger on a map exactly where Iraq, Afghanistan, Sierra Leon, or any number of other places we have spilled our blood in defense of our country and ideals.

You can't stop idiots, and unfortunately it's still against the law to choke the living **** out of them....they will always exist.

When I think back on my career, I am truly blessed that I have met some incredible people called Marine's...truly some of America's best not unlike the same people wearing different uniforms in our defense.

Lot's of "evil's" have befallen us...possibly one of the worst cases many people don't even or care to remember, the Korean War Veterans. Next would have to be Vietnam...they left as patriots only to come home as criminals in the eyes of the public. They won the battles but lost the war in some respects...America turned their back on them all.

At the end of the day, you have to remember why you serve. Nothing means more to me than my wife and family, nothing. The hope that other mens sons and daughters, and definitely my Grandchildren when that time comes won't have to endure what we have and seen the sights that still haunt me.

Enjoy your service...embrace your friends, for when you finally leave Active Duty and Marine's it will leave a empty hole in your heart that can't be filled. Know that you made a difference, and that you stood up when a lot feel it is their "right" to be protected and stand on their platforms questioning how we provide that very freedom to them and all.

Keep the faith LCpl....I know it's hard....believe me when I say that.

Semper Fidelis Marine...

Distinguished Member
    LCpl & SSgt,

You think it is hard being in and looking out at some of these idiots, just imagine being out and living among them.

Thank you for your service and take the fight to them.

Semper Fi.
    21 years and 21 days, United States Marine Corps & NRA Life Member since 1972

"The trouble is with the increasingly widespread problem of idiots prancing around out there confusing their opinions with actual facts." peckman28

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    I agree with Sixto, something HAS failed our generation (I'm 30-something, does that count? I played on a ColecoVision. LOL!). But it's not folks like you. Something happened along the way where children of baby boomers became overindulgent, lackadaisical parents, and ended up raising a generation of overindulged slackers. As a result, there's been a serious lack of respect. Respect for God and Country, respect for those who Serve, respect for others, and sadly...respect for self. Okay, maybe that's a sweeping generalization, but it certainly applies to a good part of the people I've personally had the displeasure of interacting with.

Belated birthday wishes, and sincere thanks to ALL who serve to protect this nation and the citizens within. I wish that more people had the whole pull-yourself-by-the-bootstraps grit and determination, and the heroic inclinations that so many these days are missing. It's refreshing to see people of real moral character and not the whiny, prissy, narcissistic wusses that sit around complaining about how things aren't fare, and would spit on those who risk life and limb to protect their right to complain.

Hooyah!

Simply put... the generation of yesterday worked for what they wanted where the generation of today believes they are entitled to it. Where the entitlement is coming from is a completely different debate... Welcome home solider

I've met so many of that generation that I'm still humbled by them.

In 1995, I had the chance to go to Iwo Jima for the 50th Anniversary of that battle and I got to meet warriors from both sides of the fence....Uncommon Valor was a Common Virtue indeed.

I've also had the chance to meet a living Medal of Honor Recipient, Colonel Wesley Fox when he was a young Captain in Vietnam. I don't know if he was a part of the original "Walking Dead" of 1/9, but he was with them when he received the MOH.

They are our true national treasures, not the gold in our vaults. They suffered so much for so very little, it's staggering. From the tropics to the frozen wasteland of Germany and Russia, the the sands of Africa they prevailed through sheer dedication to duty.
    The US Marine's aren't a branch of the US Military, they're a Religion unto themselves

When we speak of that generation I remember another quality as well. They didn't expect much of a handout. My father did 5 amphibious assaults and faced three years of combat in the South Pacific campaign with no more than a little in theatre R&R. It left him scarred for life but he didn't consider himself a victim, he just knew that they had had to do what they did or loose their freedom.

Today many seem to think think they are some sort of victim and demand something. I'm proud of those who still serve and do their part. I did mine as well. It will bring about changes in most that will make them better and will bring hardships to some as well. But that is the cost, isn't it. I'm glad that each generation, no matter how messed up seems to produce these people. So, yes, I believe we still have hope!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

BuckeyeLCPL,

I appreciate your post and your subsequent thoughts.

Some of the changes in our society have gone so far, I fear there will be no turning back. 'I' and 'me' seem to be the buzz words that have replaced 'we' and 'our'.

The military teaches teamwork, most of society doesn't have a clue what it would be like to count on a fellow soldier or Marine with your life.

My war was Vietnam. And a hell of a war it was. The weapons were not as sophisticated as those of today, but the blood, pain, hardship and suffering was the same.

Upon returning from 'Nam, a lot of us were shunned by society in general, derogatory labels abounded. Most 'Nam Vets have gone through the same phases in their lives that I have, confused by it, mad about it, withdrawing from it, and finally..... many years later..... just ignoring it. When you get to a certain age and point in life, you realize that what counts is inside of you.... not what others think.

When you see the flag pass by in a parade, you get a lump in your throat, your chest tightens and tears form in the corners of your eyes..... that is what matters. Your pride in what you have done through your service will overcome all the crap society can throw your way.

Here is my way of illustrating what I'm trying to say here:

Several years ago, a movie titled 'We Were Soldiers' opened in theaters nationwide. I resisted going to see it because I knew all too well the emotions it would bring to the surface again. My teen age son wanted to see it and he asked me to go with him. I never missed an opportunity to do something with my son as we have always been close.

During the movie, I started to cry. Not just a few tears, but hard crying that most grown men would never want to admit to. In a strange, but heartwarming turn of events in our lives, it was my teen age son who put his arm around me, held me close and told me that it was all right to cry.

When the movie ended lots of people began to leave the theater right away. When my son and I finally left, he said "Dad, there were at least seven other Vietnam Vets in the theater." When I asked him how he knew that, he said "Because at the end of the movie when everyone was getting up and leaving, there were eight men standing at attention right to the very end."

That said so much, and put a lot of things in perspective for me. Like I said above, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.... you know. Others may never think about or appreciate what you did in service to your country.... but you know. The liberal types will never understand that their freedoms have been bought and paid for with not only your sacrifice, or mine, or the ultimate sacrifice made by so many of our war time buddies..... but we know.

And because we know, we can hold our heads high.

That's what counts.

For all of you who have responded to this recently, thank you for sharing your thoughs, I haven't been around here much lately. Too much work to do in Hawaii to get my new junior Marines ready for the next pump we have coming up here soon.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

First and foremost, thank you for your service.

Those who would call yours a "failed generation" do so because they are themselves failures.

Each generation is called a failure by some in the previous generation, and I am convinced that is because they don't have the testicular fortitude to make a difference themselves. One is never a failure until one gives up and deems himself a failure.

Those who would term your generation a failure are part of the same generation (mine) which did not learn from Vietnam and are in the process of sending another generation of our young men and women into harms way to fight a war started by old men and women.

You have every right to feel disillusioned, but please know there there are many of us out here who respect and admire those of you who answered the call.

I am soon saying goodbye to one of my 4-H graduates as she leaves on her second tour of duty in the war zone. I pray for her every day, as I do for all of our men and women in uniform everywhere. You carry out the orders of those who are truly the failures in that they push from behind rather than leading from in front.
    "Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups"

I agree with the majority of posts here. I think generation has nothing to do with failing or ignorance. Anyone can be an idiot or just naive. Some people just have no thoughts of what is going on in there country. they just think it will always be here and dont realize people fight for there rights daily so they can drive that BMW, or go to a university, or collect welfare for doing nothing or what have you. I am 22, currently deployed to Iraq, i have been here for 10 months and have a lil less then 2 months left. I have a 10 month old son at home that has been growing like crazy and i havent got to see him but 1 time since he was born, and that was when i took my 2 weeks R&R.

I try not to judge because i used to be just another ignorant kid, trying to smoke pot everyday and such. Then i realized i wanted to have a family and make a difference. So at 18, i got off my ass and joined the ARMY.

When i was home, i stopped at the mall, the recruiting station is there and by god my old recruiter was still there. We talked for a few mins and then he left to do something. As i was leaving the mall he was walking back in. I was putting my son in the car and when he walked by, after he was out of earshot, i overheard these 3 longhaired punk kids mutter something along the lines of "anyone who joins the military is an idiot" or something. I coulnt hold my tounge, especially just coming home from a war zone, i turned and told them with a smug tone, "people join to give them the right to say **** like that". They looked at me kind of shocked, i kindly told them to watch what they say in public because you never know who is listening, pointing to the US ARMY sticker on my vehicle. I wanted to fight them at first but i had calmed down after my rant. Then as i was walking away they muttered something else like " f-you, and tried blabbing some crap about our founding forefathers gave them that right!". Now my wife is holding me back telling me to let it go and get in the car. I do, since im usually non-confrontational. They flip me off as i drive away yelling obscenities. Young kids, probly 17. So ignorant, is it there fault, are they just mad at the world, there parents maybe? I dont know but stuff like that is what makes our generation look like crap.

But as i said earlier, ive heard older peolpe make likewise comments also. Its just a moral thing i think. Some people where raised differently then others. The problems even exist inside our military these days. Everyone wants to be better then the guy next to them, and for some reason i notice that its like if your not insulting someone, or making fun at whst your buddy says, your not cool.?.? Why cant people jsut act civalized these days?
    "Anyone worth shooting, is probably worth shooting several times."

Buckeye, and to all that have served, I salute you, I have nothing but respect for you, you have served our country and defended our freedoms.
    I am 42, father of 2 girl's and 1 boy, and married to a wonderful woman, at 36 I enlisted in the Navy in the CB's, I had signed up for 8yrs, I am an electrical contractor and a seasoned volinteer fire fighter, I wanted to help.
    What suprised me was how manny people that I knew back then that upon hearing what I did would ask me why?, and say that thay would never do anything like that, that the war was wrong, or it was for other people to fight, or that I was to old, only a small group supported me and my family.
    I was amazed at how manny people take our freedom's forgranted.
    There are people in all ages and groups that have forgotten that thay should just to be gretefull to be living in a place as wonderfull as America, there are too many people with there hands out expecting everything to just be given to them.
    It's sad.
    So my hat's off to everyone who has served this great country, in times of peace and times of war, you are a rare breed.
    I broke my neck in basic, crushed my c7 vertebrae, had to have a plate put in my neck to fuse it together, got out on a medical, so I never got to serve.
    I wish I did.
    1-Better to be judged by twelve then caried by six.
    2-Better to be an open sinner than a false saint.
    3-POLITICAL CORECTNISS will be the downfall of western civilization.
    4-Gun control isn't about gun's, It's about control.
    Those are my thought's on the matter.
    (Steps off soapbox)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links