A rant about America

A rant about America

This is a discussion on A rant about America within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Authors note, this is in no way chest-puffing on my part or me trying to prove I'm better than anyone else, merely some oberservations I ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

A rant about America

Authors note, this is in no way chest-puffing on my part or me trying to prove I'm better than anyone else, merely some oberservations I had today during a long drive.

Today I took a trip to visit a friend of mine whom I was in Iraq with. A fine young man, from a fine family. He joined the Marines after high school, volunteered like me for the infantry, where I met him during SOI, and then lived and worked with him in my current unit. He is one of the finest young men I have known, always a good time with him around.

It does however make me sick to see our generation referred to as a failed generation. We are fighting a war on numerous fronts with an all volunteer force of fine young men and women who are willing to risk everything for the sake of America, and the things we believe in as Americans. The best members of my generation all seem to be fighting wars we didn't start, instead of starting families and going to college.

The thread about the PSU video might of been what started this for me, because sometimes it seems like the "intellectuals" of America don't really care about the ideals and what it takes to keep things the way they are in this country. Everytime I'm driving around in Ohio in my pick-up, and get a thumbs up from a gentleman who sees my Marines bumper sticker, I'm darn proud of that. I've had a free meal at the best steakhouse in Cincinnati when the server found out I was going to Iraq (which I tried to decline, but they wouldn't take no for an answer). So I know that there are those people who care and appreciate it. So why don't the ones who are supposed to be the most intelligent people in the country? A well rounded college education should include all topics, including history, and American history wouldn't exist without the blood of men to keep this land free, so really there is no excuse.

Not everyone agrees with the war, that is fine, but the warriors deserve more than that (although I guess I am biased).

Ok, rant off, I just had to get that off my chest. I think I'm just upset because I had to put flowers on the grave of a 19 year old friend today, who was killed half a world away.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Administrator
    I'm not concerned about your generation, even though I'm a bit older I guess we could be considered the same generation.

Our generation isn't what failed, but something certainly failed our generation.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Quote Originally Posted by SIXTO View Post
    I'm not concerned about your generation, even though I'm a bit older I guess we could be considered the same generation.

Our generation isn't what failed, but something certainly failed our generation.
    You are within a under a decade of me, close enough. If you still remember more playing outside than xbox (or n64 for people my age), thats still my generation. Maybe I'm a generation ahead of the 19 year olds I serve with. But somewhere right in that time frame something certainly does seem to of gone awry.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Senior Member Array Hydrashok Glock's Avatar
    I couln't agree with you more. I am assuming LCPL that you are 29 or so and i must admit that i am 21. I have been working hard for my money since i was 15 and am tired of seeing and hearing people in my generation not working untill 20 or having their parents buying everything for them. I am the only of all of the numerious close friends that bought their own car. I am also the only one who has decided to pursue a career aswell, LEO for those unaware of my previous posts. I am disgusted with my generation and their lack-a-dasical and uter disrespect for those in the Military and Law Enforcement. These are the kids who spout off at LEO's and trash talk Military personel, but cry to mommy and daddy because there 7 series BMW broke down. Since when was it stupid to work for you money.
    Now being that i am young i do understand that i still need to mature but i feel way ahead of my generation. College wasnt for me because ilike to work with my hands and prefer manuel labor, as you can probably tell by my spelling.
    I need to get off my box because i dont want to sound cocky or arrogant because that is far from the truth but i am just sick of the lack of respect for authority figures aswell as Military.
    The choices you make today define you of who you are tommorow

When you see the light at the end of the tunnel your life is not over..... it is just about to begin

COPS Protective Services

Hydrashock, I'm actually only 24 (as of a few days ago, and SIXTO isn't as old as you think), I've got friend who worker their way through college, and those whose parents payed, know who is doing better, those who worked. I actually did manual labor and bouncing to get through college, I see nothing wrong with an honest days work for an honest wage, and actually respect that quite highly since I did it since I was 15 too.

But somewhere along the way honest pay for honest work, and serving in the military became unfashionable, and it makes me sick. I don't want to bury any more friends while the nation is more concerned with American Idol.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Administrator
    Well, happy birthday Buckeye.

I'm a crusty old man. I've been working since I was 11. I started in the Army at 17, worked part time jobs at 80+ hrs a week after that and became an LEO at 22. I still have three jobs, even though I don't need or want more than one.

I didn't have to fight in a war, luck had it that I served in a fairly peaceful time. I have had to bury friends that died defending our country and way of life both here and overseas. I also have childhood friends sitting in prison and those who's brains are rotted due to drugs. I have friends who have been murdered and one who has murdered. I have a few that have done very well so far and have impressive jobs and bank accounts.
    A few generations have had to do that in the past, one of which is called the greatest of generations. The sky may look bleak now, but it is not the doing of the current up coming generation. There are slugs for sure among us, but we didn't create those slugs. There were also slugs among previous generations too.
    The hippy's eventually grew up, to bad the culture didn't disappear too.
    "Just blame Sixto"

Buckeye, first off welcome back home and happy belated birthday. I too am in your generation (35 years old) and can attest to what you have noticed with the people who should know better but seem to ignore the fact that those who have stood on the wall and those who would have but were fortunate enough to serve in between wars do so to protect their rights to their screwed up opinions.

I too have been working most of my life, first job cleaning out a movie theater during renovations at age 14. Joined the Army at 17 via the Delayed Entry Program and had a job wearing a suit as soon as I got home. I am now a Network Manager for a Credit Union here in the Dallas area, well in 1 more week when I start. Not everyone in our generation has been lost, but as Sixto said, something was lost on us for sure.

Thank you and your fellow Devil Dogs and all the others who serve(d), for without the volunteer military we have we would be nothing and I would say that most of our military is younger than I am.

Oorah for a brother in arms!
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

Who said that you are a failed generation? Some former hippie who smoked dope and later became the CEO of a company that paid himself excessive bonuses while the company bleed red ink? I wouldn't worry about it.

Well, I'm old enough to be most of y'all's father (but, I'm not ).

I see fine young people every day, and crappy-attituded old people at least as often. Part of the problem the younger generation has is the lousy parenting skills of their parents, us Boomers. People have to learn that there are consequences for choices. We have a society where many people have not ever received that lesson, for some reason. In some cases, the parents did not teach it. In others, the kids refused to learn it.

Bottom line, people grow up when they have to. We have lots of 'kids' out there who are chronologically enhanced but socially immature. Maturity is an attitude thing, not an age thing.

Thanks for all the good choices and wise decisions you all make. I suspect there are some good moms and dads behind a lot of it.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

Senior Moderator
    Well Buckeye, I played video games on an Atari, but I am not concerned about your generation.

I have spent a lot of time in higher education and dealing with people ensconced in their Ivory Towers. I took a most unconventional way through to get an education, and had jobs ranging from working on gas and oil pipelines to being an LEO.

One thing I have learned is that a lot of “Open Minded People” are so open minded that their brains had fallen out. They refuse to acknowledge any fact that makes them move from their nice and secure world.

They refuse to admit that it is cold outside, and that monsters do exist. They cannot accept that there are others who protect them and enable them to be warm dry and safe. They refuse to admit that someone who slays dragons and endures the cold damp of winter is their equal or better, because the hardened warrior cannot quote Nietzsche and enjoys beer instead of Cognac.

I do not worry about these people, because when they are cold and frightened, when they hear the wolves howl outside their door the scream for the warrior to protect them. They forget after a time that they needed the warrior, so when they feel secure in their world once again they convince themselves that they don’t need the warrior.

But once they see a monster, they love the warrior and praise him. They give the warrior new armor and weapons to protect them. Once they look in a dragon’s eye and feel the dragon’s breath, they can never forget the fear that they feel. They love the warrior because they feel safe when he is close.

Life is going to become hard for everyone in the coming decades, and more monsters will stalk the night and more dragons will awake from their slumber. Warriors will be appreciated once again.
    ďYou can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.Ē

― Robert A. Heinlein,

Quote Originally Posted by pgrass101 View Post
    They refuse to admit that it is cold outside, and that monsters do exist. They cannot accept that there are others who protect them and enable them to be warm dry and safe. They refuse to admit that someone who slays dragons and endures the cold damp of winter is their equal or better, because the hardened warrior cannot quote Nietzsche and enjoys beer instead of Cognac.

I do not worry about these people, because when they are cold and frightened, when they hear the wolves howl outside their door the scream for the warrior to protect them. They forget after a time that they needed the warrior, so when they feel secure in their world once again and convince themselves that they donít need the warrior.

But once they see a monster, they love the warrior and praise him. They give the warrior new armor and weapons to protect them. Once they look in a dragonís eye and feel the dragonís breath, they can never forget the fear that they feel. They love the warrior because they feel safe when he is close.

Life is going to become hard for everyone in the coming decades, and more monsters will stalk the night and more dragons will awake from their slumber. Warriors will be appreciated once again.
    VERY well said! I just saw the PSU video that Buckeye was referring to, and the follow-up and it just sickens me to the point I honestly can't beleive it.
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

-Paco
    http://www.shieldsd.net

I remember my father telling me before WW2 that he would run into signs that said Dogs and GIs not welcome. That all changed after Dec 7, 1941. I think that you will find the so called smart people are not very smart in every generation.

Well, I'm at the half century mark and I remember taking a lot of abuse and disrespect from some civilians and leaders when I was in the military. I also remember many of my generation who were pretty worthless and many who grew up and surprised a lot of people one day.

In my experience there's always an emergency, there's always a threat, there's always cultural problems. It's the way of our screwed up world! Even in the supposedly "Peaceful" era's certain parts of our military have often been called upon for the ultimate sacrifice and much of the civilian world were clueless.

Thankfully in each generation there have been those who are good, decent hard working people who care for country and family. Somehow they keep things going in spite of our political leaders and popular culture. I just hope it continues that way.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I am 31...started working at 8, pushing a lawn mower. Was an honor student all the way thru HS while keeping two jobs, and extracurriculars going. I went to college, did my undergrad in 3 yrs. while maintaining at least two jobs. Got out, and worked two jobs until about a year ago. I have worked hard...and it disgusts me to see those in my generation who are basically worthless, and give nothing back to society but stimulating the economy with their beer and cigarette purchases from a public assistance or "disability" check for their "nerves" at 25-29 y/o. There is no more surreal act than sitting down at a desk and talking to a probationer on your caseload who also happened to go to elementary, junior high and high school with you.
    Friends don't let friends be MALL NINJAS.

I am just as nice as anyone lets me be and can be just as mean as anyone makes me. - Quoted from Terryger, New member to our forum.

Quote Originally Posted by miklcolt45 View Post
    Well, I'm old enough to be most of y'all's father (but, I'm not ).

I see fine young people every day, and crappy-attituded old people at least as often. Part of the problem the younger generation has is the lousy parenting skills of their parents, us Boomers. People have to learn that there are consequences for choices. We have a society where many people have not ever received that lesson, for some reason. In some cases, the parents did not teach it. In others, the kids refused to learn it.

Bottom line, people grow up when they have to. We have lots of 'kids' out there who are chronologically enhanced but socially immature. Maturity is an attitude thing, not an age thing.

Thanks for all the good choices and wise decisions you all make. I suspect there are some good moms and dads behind a lot of it.
    I think that truly is a lot of it mikl, I have outstanding parents, who raised 3 sons to be productive members of society (two of us are Marines too). But a think a lot of what has happened is a result of the lack of parenting.

Well Buckeye, I played video games on an Atari, but I am not concerned about your generation.

I have spent a lot of time in higher education and dealing with people ensconced in their Ivory Towers. I took a most unconventional way through to get an education, and had jobs ranging from working on gas and oil pipelines to being an LEO.

One thing I have learned is that a lot of ďOpen Minded PeopleĒ are so open minded that their brains had fallen out. They refuse to acknowledge any fact that makes them move from their nice and secure world.

I do not worry about these people, because when they are cold and frightened, when they hear the wolves howl outside their door the scream for the warrior to protect them. They forget after a time that they needed the warrior, so when they feel secure in their world once again they convince themselves that they donít need the warrior.

But once they see a monster, they love the warrior and praise him. They give the warrior new armor and weapons to protect them. Once they look in a dragonís eye and feel the dragonís breath, they can never forget the fear that they feel. They love the warrior because they feel safe when he is close.

Very, very well said pgrass, although I guess we need to be careful because: Whoever fights monsters should see to it that in the process he does not become a monster. And if you gaze long enough into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you (and I'll take my beer of cognac anyday). I played some atari growing up, as we always seemed to get video game consoles about a generation late, it can be quite addicting.

Thanks for the belated birthday wishes, I actually got to spend it at home with my family, the first holiday I could do so since two Christmases ago. And I've added 5 firearms to the collection, so I think it was pretty good.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links