ARGOS is here!

This is a discussion on ARGOS is here! within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Argos came last night! He's such a sweetie-pie, but I think he's a mini-Rott. 52 lbs and most likely full-grown, so there's a mix in ...

Thread: ARGOS is here!

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar

ARGOS is here!

Argos came last night! He's such a sweetie-pie, but I think he's a mini-Rott. 52 lbs and most likely full-grown, so there's a mix in there somewhere. Probably boxer or pit, but he looks like a perfect Rottie, just...vertically-challenged. He's such a good boy, behaves perfectly and so friendly! Hard to believe anyone would give him up or not look for him. He's great with the cat, the kid, and the chinchillas. We just have to have the vet check him out this afternoon to make sure it's ok to introduce him to the beasts. (Who want to play with him as badly as he wants to play with them! It's heartbreaking to hear them all howl for each other as I have to keep them separate for the moment!)

We're loving this opportunity to foster him! I've been doing some temperament testing and he's got zero signs of abuse and no resource guarding or aggression behaviors at the moment. We'll keep testing him for the next few weeks as he gets more relaxed here in his new home, but I think this little guy is going to get adopted really quickly! Cross your fingers for Argos please! He needs a forever home.

2. Remove Ads

Great looking dog.

He might be really hard to part with once you find him that forever home.
    "A Smith & Wesson always beats 4 aces!"

The Man Prayer. "Im a man, I can change, if I have to.....I guess!" ~ Red Green

Nice. I really like large dogs, and I think it is a pity some people steriotype rotts or pit bulls as 'bad' dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by JoJoGunn View Post
    Great looking dog.

He might be really hard to part with once you find him that forever home.
    Thanks! True, but if I keep him, I won't be able to foster another dog who needs it. We've almost foster-failed a few times before, but the thing is, I have three crates. If I had three dogs and got an emergency foster call, I'd have to turn down that emergency dog, and I just couldn't do it. So we take 'em in, restore that showroom shine, and ship 'em off to loving families instead, making room for the next sad case. Personally, I love working with the dogs and watching them make the transition from "rescue" to "family pet."

Quote Originally Posted by United93 View Post
    Nice. I really like large dogs, and I think it is a pity some people steriotype rotts or pit bulls as 'bad' dogs.
    Agreed 100%. There are no bad dogs, just bad owners. (I'd love to see Vick and the like stuck in crates, living in their own filth, fighting for survival, and being rewarded by being tied up on the rape stand to breed.)

Distinguished Member Array Der Alte's Avatar
    Great looking dog. Congratulations.
    Its a shame that youth is wasted on the young.

Administrator
    Glad that the pooch found a good home.

SUGGESTION:
    Use a stuffed rubber glove taped onto the end of a broomstick to try to use that "hand" to take/pull his food bowl away while he is eating.

If he attacks that glove to protect his food bowl then make absolutely certain the kids stay away from his food bowl while he is eating.

That is a very important standard test to make certain that any new dog is 100% safe around small children.

Thanks, all!

Just got back from the vet. The good news is, he's a stout-hearted tough little guy. The bad news is, he's got some health issues. Not that we expected any less. He's got hook worms, an ear infection, and heart worms BUT it's a mild case and he can be treated very conservatively so it won't put too much strain on his little system. The vet says he's about 2 or 2 1/2 (just a puppers!) and I've been working with him since 4:30 am on triggers. The boy has NO resource guarding issues and NO evidence of abuse. I pulled a chocolate donut out of his mouth (have to spank the hubby for that clever idea) today, no reaction. He was accosted by an autistic boy at the vet's, no reaction. Also "attacked" through a fence by me neighbor's two ILL-MANNERED boxers. The would have "gotten" him, as they've actually hospitalized other dogs before, but they couldn't get through the fence! (Ha hah!) He was calm and collected the whole time.

I think if we can clean up his medical problems and get him CGC'd (Canine Good Citizen certified), he will make one heck of a therapy dog, just like my Dane!

Woooo, Argos!

DC Founder
    Great looking dog. I have always had a hard time figuring out how someone can give one up, or not look to the end of the earth if it's lost. I can't stay mad at ours for more than a minute or two when she does something she's not supposed to. They are so much company and just plain fun to be around....
    Bumper
    Coimhéad fearg fhear na foighde; Beware the anger of a patient man.

Distinguished Member Array Black Knight's Avatar
    From the photos and the check up he seems to be a fine dog. I understand why you are just fostering him but like others I'm not sure I could let him go. If only we could afford another four legged family member. We have six cats and they can be a handful at times.
    You are truly blessed for not being selfish with Argos. Personally I believe I would be selfish and keep him.

We've had several fosters, they come and go. They're all very loved and leave little pawprints on my life in their own unique way. But I couldn't stand knowing there is a pitiful little pup out there put to sleep or refused sanctuary in a rescue because I didn't have the room. I'm sad to let them go because I miss them. A lot. But it always makes me happy to know they're going to a forever home (that I personally evaluated, spoke with the vet, checked references, and possibly even did the home study) that I know is right for each dog.

I don't believe in reincarnation, so why not get all the good works done this time around? Just in case? ;)

UPDATE: He's officially available for adoption now, with his own page on petfinder. I'm gonna miss the little bugger, but we already have two people interested in adopting him, so I just know he's going to find a great home very soon!

Adopt a Rottweiler: Argos: Petfinder

Links