Got accepted into nursing school.

This is a discussion on Got accepted into nursing school. within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Sejune Hey guys, I sold my 1/2 of a business I co-owned in '07 to pursue an old dream of becoming a ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Got accepted into nursing school.

Quote Originally Posted by Sejune View Post
    Hey guys,

I sold my 1/2 of a business I co-owned in '07 to pursue an old dream of becoming a nurse. At 31 years old, I entered into college again having been away from "higher learning" for years. Before me laid a daunting task of completing a long list of prerequisites to even be considered for the nursing program.

Entrance into the program is difficult. There are 30 slots open with 200 applicants. Your grades have to be top-notch or there is no chance. So, I applied with a 3.8 GPA, and a score of 41 out of 48 possible points on the weighted criteria list. It's a very high score so I felt confident, but the worry and stress still weighed upon me as I waited for the past 2 months to find out whether or not I got in.

On Monday, I received my acceptance letter into the program! I am really excited and nervous about what lays ahead starting in August. I have a 5 semester course to go through, but with the support of God, my wife, family and friends I shall prevail!
    Congradtulations! Keep us posted on the progress.

2. Remove Ads

That is wonderful! You have every right to be proud.
    Check out some of the nursing blogs on the web. Lots of good info there.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post
    The medical field should be recession proof.
    It's not. Trust me.

Need more quality nurses, which are few and far between these days. Look into OR Nursing...best way to go IMO. Good luck!
    HK45c V1

VIP Member
    way to go, study hard and good luck!
    "The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants."
    Thomas Jefferson

male nurses are always in demand. My Brother in law became a nurse and looking, praying for a chance in the ER. Good Luck. What field are you looking to go into ?

Distinguished Member Array Squawker's Avatar
    Congratulations. I know what you mean about going back to school. I started back at 32, first in nursing school. I decided though, in the 3rd quarter, that I would rather be in medicine that nursing, so while I had a 4.0, I dropped out, and started on my prerequisites to PA school. i started that at 34, graduating with my BS at 36. That was 21 years ago, and well worth it. I'm sure that you'll find your move to be the same.

Oh, and Patti, medicine isn't recession proof. Nursing pretty much is, but I was laid off along with an MD from my last job, now looking.

Congratulations!! The world needs more people like you, with a passion and desire for such a noble profession. Be the best nurse you can be and do everything from the heart.
    Duty, Honor, Country...MEDIC!!!
    ¡Cuánto duele crecer, cuan hondo es el dolor de alzarse en puntillas y observar con temblores de angustia, esa cosa tremenda, que es la vida del hombre! - René Marqués

Grats!!!

Senior Member Array bigo5552000's Avatar
    congrats!!
    "Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius -- and a lot of courage -- to move in the opposite direction."-Einstein

Congratulations!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats on your acceptance. What school will you be attending? My daughter graduated from Francis Marion Univ here in Florence, summa cum laude, with her BSN in Nursing. She worked for a year in Surgical Intensive Care Unit (SICU) and the transferred to the Operating Room (OR) and love it! Keep us posted!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Best wishes brother, my wifey is a Rn .You all take care.
    Cliff

VIP Member Array ExactlyMyPoint's Avatar
    Congrats. I am glad you were able to follow your dream. There is never a shortage of nurses and you can pretty much work wherever you want to. Good luck.
    Preparing for the Zombie Apocalypse or Rapture....whichever comes first.

Thanks everyone! I hope to go to the ER when finished. I have 3 years experience as an EMT II in Alaska and 6 years in a clinical setting in Seattle.

I am attending the Spartanburg Community College Nursing Program. The program is 5 years old and produces a very high rate of students passing the nursing exam. last semester it was 100%, which is excellent. They just received their accreditation this past month as well and received excellent marks.

I am excited and nervous, but I'm doing this for all the right reasons, and I'll get through it.

Thanks again everyone!
    Sejune
    Glock 30 .45
    Springfield XD 9

As the Director of the largest ED in Memphis, TN a little advice for you. Once you have finished the point in school that they will let you work as an intern/nurse tech/or whatever they call it there go to an ED and get a job there Part Time or PRN. That way you have a foot in the door. I only hire new grads who intern with me first.
    The best preventative medicine is superior fire power.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links