I'm a LEED accredited professional now

This is a discussion on I'm a LEED accredited professional now within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I passed my test last friday. Nothing major. It's a 2 hour test. If you don't know what it is, LEED is a rating system ...

Thread: I'm a LEED accredited professional now

I passed my test last friday.

Nothing major. It's a 2 hour test. If you don't know what it is, LEED is a rating system for sustainable design of buildings by the US Green Building Council. I'm a mechanical engineer for an architectural/engineering firm.

I get to add "LEED AP" after my name on my business cards now.

Administrator
    I'm still not sure that I know what it isbut, Congrats!
    It always feels good to be "movin' on up"

Distinguished Member Array Bunny's Avatar
    Yay, congrats!!! :)
    Don't frisk me, I am the weapon.

Sig Sauer P239 DAK (9mm)
    NRA Member & Pistol Instructor

www.vanguardnc.com

This doesn't mean that you measure trees for tree huggers does it?

Congrats anyways...
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Thanks everyone.

Let me see if I can explain it better. The USGBC developed this rating system for when you're designing/building a new building. There are a list of points you can earn. Earn enough and you're building is certified, silver certified, gold, platinum. Once the building is certified you go on their registry and get a plaque to hang in the building. It's a marketing thing for most building owners. Advertise it to get tenants. Green/Sustainable buildings are popular right now.

It addressed things like reduce water consumption by 20% and get a point. Reduce by 30% and get 2 points. Reduce energy consumption and earn 1 to 10 points depending on percent. Preserve 50% of your site with native vegitation and earn 1 point. Divert waste from landfills during construction by recycling and earn a point. Use recycled materials, reuse parts of the building, etc... earn points. There are 69 total points you can earn plus you can apply for a few additional innovation points that are beyond their scope.

Honestly... it's a load of crap. I got certified to make myself more marketable. I don't like the system because you earn 1 point by spending $2500 on a bike rack and shower to promote not driving. You earn the same 1 point by building on a brownfield site which could be thousands or millions of $$$'s to clean up. They're supposed to address that in the next version of the system set to be released this year.

Sounds pretty interesting. Grats!
    Glock 27

"Criminals are a cowardly and superstitious lot."

Congrats. I'm somewhat familiar with such things. My undergrad major was Environmental Studies. Are you familiar with David Orr and the Oberlin College sustainable building program?
    Last edited by sgtD; May 28th, 2009 at 02:13 AM.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

VIP Member
    Cool! Does that mean you can help me find a job... I got canned yesterday!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

Senior Member Array PointnClick's Avatar
    Congrats, DarkVibe... those credentials will only get more valuable in the years to come...

Don't wanna derail DV's thread, but Thumper got canned...?
    "Who is to say that I am not an instrument of karma? Indeed, who is to say that I am not the very hand of God himself, dispatched by the Almighty to smite the Philistines and hypocrites, to lay low the dishonest and corrupt, and to bust the jawbone of some jackass that so desperately deserves it?"

Congrats! I'm in the custom commercial furniture business and LEED has me completely confused but good for you!!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Quote Originally Posted by darkvibe View Post
    Thanks everyone.

Let me see if I can explain it better. The USGBC developed this rating system for when you're designing/building a new building. There are a list of points you can earn. Earn enough and you're building is certified, silver certified, gold, platinum. Once the building is certified you go on their registry and get a plaque to hang in the building. It's a marketing thing for most building owners. Advertise it to get tenants. Green/Sustainable buildings are popular right now.

It addressed things like reduce water consumption by 20% and get a point. Reduce by 30% and get 2 points. Reduce energy consumption and earn 1 to 10 points depending on percent. Preserve 50% of your site with native vegitation and earn 1 point. Divert waste from landfills during construction by recycling and earn a point. Use recycled materials, reuse parts of the building, etc... earn points. There are 69 total points you can earn plus you can apply for a few additional innovation points that are beyond their scope.

Honestly... it's a load of crap. I got certified to make myself more marketable. I don't like the system because you earn 1 point by spending $2500 on a bike rack and shower to promote not driving. You earn the same 1 point by building on a brownfield site which could be thousands or millions of $$$'s to clean up. They're supposed to address that in the next version of the system set to be released this year.
    congrats! I too am a LEED AP, have only worked on one project trying for certification. Got my AP for same reasons, hasn't really worked, however, I do believe it is the future.

Congrats! I'm in the custom commercial furniture business and LEED has me completely confused but good for you!!
    I work in the commercial furniture business as well. We just completed a massive LEED project (furniture installation) at NAS Jax. It was "fun" but worth-while. I have been a HUGE supporter of recycling since I got started in the business back in '87. As a Boy Scout from way back, I cannot dispose of the amount of refuse (Especially cardboard) we generate witout adopting some sort of program. By default, we have been operating within LEED guidelines for more that 20 years now. They make it sound MUCH harder than it really is, but it is more expensive to maintain and run LEED projects. Not sure its worth all the hassle but from our end, its no biggie
    Last edited by LeCalsey; May 29th, 2009 at 10:42 AM. Reason: Typo
    2A is not negotiable

Quote Originally Posted by Thumper View Post
    Cool! Does that mean you can help me find a job... I got canned yesterday!
    Nevada is one of those places that the recession is really felt, isn't it? Western NY state never had the huge growth so we don't feel the downturn too much.

What do you do for a career?

Sponsored Links