Lost my job. Maybe a prayer?

This is a discussion on Lost my job. Maybe a prayer? within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by Patti Contractors lay people off. The fed govt. doesn't. They might RIF a job, but they find another job for you. I'll ...

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Lost my job. Maybe a prayer?

VIP Member

Thoughts on looking for job in your field

Quote Originally Posted by Patti View Post

Contractors lay people off. The fed govt. doesn't. They might RIF a job, but they find another job for you.

I'll be praying for you.
    First, Patti has given you a good suggestion, though I have seen Uncle close out lots of positions in mass RIFs with bodies left behind. It happens, but not as frequently as in the private sector.

Second, I don't know the level of your qualifications and education. So, maybe the next two ideas won't help, but maybe they will.

Check out especially the Junior Colleges to see if anyone needs a person to teach Industrial Hygiene or Environmental Health.

Check out adds in Am J of Industrial Hygiene

Get appropriate certification in Industrial Hygiene if you don't already have it.

Your employer is of course playing with fire. It is the guys like you who keep them from getting into deep doo. Good luck with the hunt.

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array Guardian's Avatar
    Your on my list also partner.
    "I dislike death, however, there are some things I dislike more than death. Therefore, there are times when I will not avoid danger" Mencius"

added to our list.
    my wife has a list also.....
    "I cannot undertake to lay my finger on that article of the Constitution, which granted a right to Congress of expending, on objects of benevolence, the money of their constituents." -1792, James Madison
    There are always too many Democratic, Republican and never enough U.S. congressmen.

I'll be saying a prayer for you as well, it's rough out there.
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

Things will work out, you just have to take it one day at a time and keep the faith.
    Semper Fi

Keep your head up, and your eyes open. I too lost my job after 6 years, was the last one they thought would go. One door closed another opened. Also, take this opportunity to do the things you didn't have the time to do before, the ones that don't cost a lot of money. Go for walks with the family, fishing, hiking etc. Read, play games, read the bible and pray. Everything will work out in the end. It always does we just have to wait for the end.

If you are willing to move to SC, the state govt is about to be hiring several people for environmental safety work. Check out www.jobs.sc.gov and check out the jobs in the Department of Health & Environmental Control

Edit: Prayers sent your way
    Last edited by hcrum87hc; June 11th, 2009 at 03:22 PM.
    "But blessed is the man who trusts in the LORD, whose confidence is in him."-Jeremiah 17:7

Distinguished Member Array Rugergirl's Avatar
    Positive thoughts and well wishes sent your way.
    Disclaimer: The posts made by this member are only the members opinion, not a reflection on anyone else, nor the group, and should not be cause for anyone to get their undergarments wedged in an uncomfortable position.

Blessings from Tennessee , Asking for others publicly to pray for you is outstanding in today's world . And I believe that the Lord will Bless you for this. I lost my job Oct 08, I quit driving a truck 12 years ago and said I wouldn't drive a truck again, I prayed on it and so did my Church. Praise the Lord he Bless me with job driving a truck over the road again. Sometimes the Lord doesn't give what you want, but he will Bless you with what you need . I will pray for you brother and I will put you on our pray list. May God Bless you and your family. John

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    What do you do for a living and are you willing to relocate. The shipyard I work at here (Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding) is always hiring. I can't help you get a job but I just wanted you to know there are still places hiring.

ETA: EH&S!!!!!!!!!!! Geez, if you want to relocate we have several HUNDRED people in that department...they have to be hiring, check it out!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Free American; June 11th, 2009 at 05:03 PM. Reason: ETA
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Free American View Post
    What do you do for a living and are you willing to relocate. The shipyard I work at here (Northrop Grumman Shipbuilding) is always hiring. I can't help you get a job but I just wanted you to know there are still places hiring.

ETA: EH&S!!!!!!!!!!! Geez, if you want to relocate we have several HUNDRED people in that department...they have to be hiring, check it out!!!!!!!!
    Well, I don't [I]want[I] to relocate, but will consider it for the right position, so I'll take a look. Thanks so much for the tip, and thanks everybody for the well wishes and thoughts. Today was tough. Had to give back the company truck, and then made a bunch of calls/sent a bunch of resumes. No replies yet.

Most maddening was a call I made about one job: I thought I was having a "good connection" with the lady, then she suddenly claimed to be distracted by her kids (working from home) and said she'd call me back in 20 min. After an hour I called back and got voicemail. Nothing since. Grrr. At least do as you say, and let me know you aren't really interested.

Oh well, just venting.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Quote Originally Posted by wmhawth View Post
    Been there...done that. Turned out to be the best thing that ever happened to me. I expect you'll emerge in good shape. "Tough times don't last, tough people do".
    That is right! Tough people will do fine. If you are interested in moving to Ohio I run a contract company that does cable work. The guys make good money but work long hours. Easy to learn and can lead to other jobs in the I.T. field.

Good luck. You will be in my prayers.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Thompson240 View Post
    That is right! Tough people will do fine. If you are interested in moving to Ohio I run a contract company that does cable work. The guys make good money but work long hours. Easy to learn and can lead to other jobs in the I.T. field.

Good luck. You will be in my prayers.
    Thanks!
    Ohio huh?
    Boy, I hate to turn down ANY work, but the wife and I previously agreed we didn't want to go back east. I will talk to her tonight though.
    Thanks so much for thinking of us though either way!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Links