*Sigh* Left hip is getting worse

This is a discussion on *Sigh* Left hip is getting worse within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I am 24 years old but feel much older. I think last August I posted a thread on here about what to do if I ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Distinguished Member Array SubNine's Avatar

I am 24 years old but feel much older.

I think last August I posted a thread on here about what to do if I ever had to draw my carry gun while on crutches because my left hip was killing me (not literally). To make a long story short for those of you that have not read that post, I dislocated my hip when I was 11 years old and it never healed right. Eventually I will need hip replacement, and lately its been really bothering me so it could be sooner than later. I am unable to afford medical insurance and my job does not provide medical benefits. In fact today is my last day as a security guard, and I will be seeking self employment that will hopefully pay well enough for me to afford medical insurance.

As a result of this injury long ago, I am unable to join the military, become an LEO, or do any hard physical labor. There is not a day that goes by where I don't wish I can serve the greatest nation on Earth.

Maybe some of you can give me advice on what to do because I don't know what to do. I know there are lots of disability programs, but I honestly don't know where to begin. Most of the jobs I am qualified to do require me to be on my feet a lot and I simply cannot do that anymore. I am tired of working entry level jobs that don't provide the benefits I need, and my current job does not give enough hours to allow me to afford private medical insurance which is why I am quitting. My living situation gives me flexibility (still live at home with parents).

I seek advice and wisdom from you folks on this forum!
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Those Alaskan winters can be of much help.

Working to become more limber using a swimming pool could help a lot. Water resistance can help to both loosen and strengthen without putting pressure on the joints.
    Do you have access?
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

There are swimming pools here ,but as a kid I never really learned how to swim. I never took swimming lessons, but sort of figured it out on my own. I am not sure why my parents never allowed me to get swimming lessons.
    USMC rule # 23 of gunfighting: Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everyone you meet.

I am the God fearing, gun toting, flag waving conservative you were warned about!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    You may have already gone this route, but has anyone referred you to a good physical/occupational therapist?

I've had several injuries that should have left me disabled, but with determination and a good PT, I got back in the game. Not saying you haven't tried, just telling you not to give up!

Best wishes friend!
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I am far from giving up, I will not go down without a fight. I just need some direction on where to go for help.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SubNine View Post
    I am far from giving up, I will not go down without a fight. I just need some direction on where to go for help.
    Good deal.
    Check with anyone and everyone. Trainers, physical therapists, chiropractors...sooner or later you'll find someone who will say they can help you.

Best wishes.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

I also dislocated my left hip. It happened in a car accident when I was 24 years old. I can still remember waking up on the emergency room floor, and I saw the emergency room doctor jumping up and down on my hip to pop it back in! I hollered in abject pain and they gave me a little more knockout meds to put me back under.

My father was a doctor (anesthesiologist) at that very hospital and he told me there was about a 50/50 chance that I'd have future hip problems. I consider myself very lucky, as it's 34 years later and the hip is basically good.

However, I am also very careful about my diet, and I try to keep somewhat active by working out moderately and lifting some weights. I do have a tender knee and I find that Glucosamine supplements help, plus if I gain 10 pounds, that will irritate the knee. So I would definitely recommend a healthy diet, maintaining appropriate weight and maybe some vitamin supplements.

If I was you, I'd research the living heck out of your issue and talk to as many different docs as possible. The internet is a miraculous tool as well, with thousands (if not millions) of opinions available. Get as much info as you can before going under the knife, which I would only do as a last resort.

As far as serving your country, there are many things you can do that don't require perfect physical attributes. For instance, how about being a doctor or nurse? Helping people is always a good thing. Maybe become a teacher, and pass on some good morals to kids. Heck, if we had more good teachers (and parents), there'd be a lot less work for LEO's, lol.

Good luck

-
    'Be careful, even in small matters' - Miyamoto Musashi

I have been working on changing my diet, but its been proven difficult. I tend to eat a lot of carbohydrates and fatty foods. I love pasta and can't seem to get away from it, and I love meat. Veggies and fruits are definitely lacking.

The medical field doesn't really interest me, but becoming a history teacher has somewhat peaked my interest because I am forever watching the History Channel and National Geographic channel. I really wanted a career in law enforcement, but at the moment cannot pursue that. The only thing I can do is keep living the best I can with what I have and not let this injury get the best of me. I'm going to seek a workout program that is low impact that will hopefully help my left hip joint, and definitely work a little more at changing my eating habits.

Thanks everyone for the advice, I appreciate it.

Distinguished Member Array fotomaker57's Avatar
    Contact your local department of social services. They should be able to help steer you to the help that you need. They will know what is available for job training and possibly medical help.
    Also check with your local community college about help that is available for retraining due to your physical condition. There is lots of services and help available to better yourself. Use it wisely and you can make great changes in your situation. Good luck.
    Mike
    The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government.
    Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by retsupt99 View Post
    Those Alaskan winters can be of much help.

Working to become more limber using a swimming pool could help a lot. Water resistance can help to both loosen and strengthen without putting pressure on the joints.
    Do you have access?
    +1 to what retsupt99 said about swimming pools.

You don't have to be able to swim. In an aqua-aerobics class, you will be in water that's maybe up to your shoulders - not higher than your neck). What you do is regular movements, with the added resistance of water - ever noticed that it's a lot more work to walk 10 feet in the water than it is on the land? That resistance is good for the muscles, and helps without jamming your joints too much. That's about the only aerobic exercise I can do, with two bad knees, bursitis in both hips, and a bum shoulder.

Quote Originally Posted by Riana View Post
    +1 to what retsupt99 said about swimming pools.

You don't have to be able to swim. In an aqua-aerobics class, you will be in water that's maybe up to your shoulders - not higher than your neck). What you do is regular movements, with the added resistance of water - ever noticed that it's a lot more work to walk 10 feet in the water than it is on the land? That resistance is good for the muscles, and helps without jamming your joints too much. That's about the only aerobic exercise I can do, with two bad knees, bursitis in both hips, and a bum shoulder.
    My original post should have read...those AK winters CAN'T be of much help (but it was too late to change).
    My wife uses a pool to work her body...plenty of resistance without joint impact...great exercise.
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    Go into police forensics if possible then you can still be tied tightly to Law Enforcement without hitting the streets.
    If you have a medical condition then there is always plenty of work to keep you busy in the lab.

Also...if you are overweight then do whatever you can to shed some pounds since extra weight is extremely tough on the knees, feet, and hips.

Quote Originally Posted by QKShooter View Post
    Go into police forensics if possible then you can still be tied tightly to Law Enforcement without hitting the streets.
    If you have a medical condition then there is always plenty of work to keep you busy in the lab.

Also...if you are overweight then do whatever you can to shed some pounds since extra weight is extremely tough on the knees, feet, and hips.
    Translation: you'll need a degree. A Bachelors in Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology and a minor in Criminal Justice.

You might be able to come in the back door as a Medical Technologist (sometimes an assosciate Degreee, sometimes offered VoTech.) If you do VoTech, the program will be shorter, but be sure to go to one that has a program to allow you to transfer credits to a Junior/Community or a University.

Healthcare may not be interesting, personally, but there are generally jobs available, and almost all of them have health coverage, many without docking you for a "pre-existing condition."

Administrator
    Translation: you'll need a degree. A Bachelors in Biology, Chemistry, Microbiology and a minor in Criminal Justice. ~~~>

He's still a pretty young guy.

had a head on collison that the dash drove my left leg through the hip socket and out my butt..... among other injuries.
    but having a plate and screws put in the hip socket, then few later hip replacement,
    after having a 2 hip surgeries, 4 knee surgeries, on the same side,
    the one thing they the doctors have stressed to me, is my weight, easier said then done, due its hard to walk long distance, but i know if i keep my weight down, the better the hip and knee.
    XD9sc
    Ruger LCP 380
    NAA 22 mini mag w/holster grip
    S&W 38 model 10
    NRA member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links