ExSoldier's Surgery Thread

This is a discussion on ExSoldier's Surgery Thread within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; God news. Glad it went well....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: ExSoldier's Surgery Thread

VIP Member
    God news. Glad it went well.

2. Remove Ads

Get well soon!
    Sometimes in life you have to stand your ground. It's a hard lesson to learn and even most adults don't get it, but in the end only I can be responsible for my life. If faced with any type of adversity, only I can overcome it. Waiting for someone else to take responsibility is a long fruitless wait.

Exclamation Official update

Gastric Bypass Surgery 100% successful!

I'm home from the hospital with my percoset (which I so far haven't used because I haven't needed it -- but if I do -- I will) and Xantac (for acid reflux) and a whole new life to get used to.... It's almost surreal. I ALSO feel like Iron Mike Tyson has used my torso for a punching bag, sans ear biting.

I woke up in agony and was immediately shot up with morphine and things got better. Now I understand why the soldiers who're shot up with the stuff in the movies all swoon. That stuff could be addictive. lol I was immediately told I HAD to start walking to help myself heal faster. First steps were about 20 feet. But I kept at it. Just ONE MORE STEP. EACH TIME. That's the old army influences. By the time I left this evening after discharge I was doing ten laps around the ward and the staff was bragging on me and cheering me on as I flirted with nurses and interns and challenged folks in wheelchairs to race.

Thank you ALL for your well wishes, thoughts and prayers. I felt and was thankful for each and every one. The road ahead is sure to have it's share of bumps but with friends and family like mine, I can't lose. Plus, as I was so recently reminded .... Apparently God ain't done with me yet.

It's a slow and steady start for me: Broth the next two days and a liquid diet thereafter for another 5 days That can include sugar/fate free frozen pops, jell-o and yogurts. No fruit yet, just smooth. I'll be eating with a shrimp fork and a demitasse spoon, forever. To keep bites down to acceptable size. It comes down to small bites. Taking my time between bites and no fluids for 5 minutes before and 90 minutes after all meals. That and Vitamins everyday for the rest of my life. That's 4 Flintstones, calcium, Vitamin D and Liquid B12 taken at different times to keep there from being cross absorption issues or something. I dunno, I just follow orders. Also I'm going to be attending group sessions with other recent bypass patients so we can share info and strength. I think that's important for success in the long term.

Did I mention exercise? Big part of this thing. They want me to start by walking to the end of the block and then around the block and then they say I can get back on my new bicycle, pictured below. They also want me to get into resistence and with my BOW-FLEX that will be easy. Once I really start losing the weight and I'm healthier all the way around, I'm getting back into Aikido and maybe I'll be able to stick with it this time all the way to a Black Belt. Also, I can get back into IDPA (much to Miggy's evil glee, I'm sure! He's an RO from the Marquis De Sade school of "safety." Did I mention that same school offered a similar degree in sadistic course design?).

I've got lots of plans, they all include my wonderful family and friends and of course God. It should be an interesting journey. Can I count on you to meet me at the finish line? I knew I could. Thank you one and ALL. My deepest appreciation and LOVE to you. In the future you'll be seeing a whole lot LESS of me, more frequently. How much less? I'm shooting for 100 pounds or a shade more.

Jim
    Attached Images
    Last edited by ExSoldier; July 1st, 2009 at 12:58 AM. Reason: format and content
    Former Army Infantry Captain; 25 yrs as an NRA Certified Instructor; Avid practitioner of the martial art: KLIK-PAO.

I'm glad that it went well. Good luck with keeping it together. Be strong.

Distinguished Member Array PastorPack's Avatar
    Ex, we're glad it went well. Sounds like the work begins now.
    God is love (1 John 4:8)

Jim, thanks for the update. Sounds like it all went well! Sounds like a major lifestyle change. You've got some clothes-shopping trips coming up.

Hey, Jim,

We're expecting before and after pictures...with clothes on!

Glad you're back around. If we'd known you were coming back this soon we'd have cleaned up the joint.
    He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose. - Jim Elliott

The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it.
    Albert Einstein

VIP Member
    Good news and good luck......keep up the good work.
    Turn the election's in 2014 to a "2A Revolution". It will serve as a 1994 refresher not to "infringe" on our Second Amendment. We know who they are now.........SEND 'EM HOME. Our success in this will be proportional to how hard we work to make it happen.

Glad things did go so well...now the real work starts (recovery).
    Here's to a short and successful one...

ret
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Welcome back. Glad everything went ok.

Now comes the recovery part. Here's to hoping that you fly through the recovery fast and incident free.
    "Without fear there can be no Courage!"

I must have had a sever brain fart and missed this thread. Since I missed the surgery I'll be praying for a speedy and trouble free recovery.

Can you say brain fart and prayer in the same conversation?
    "Don't hit a man if you can possibly avoid it; but if you do hit him, put him to sleep." - Theodore Roosevelt

If you are not willing to stand behind our Troops, feel free to stand in front of them!

-Paco

VIP Member
    Glad it went well Jim, cool looking bike, looks like it'd be a great beach cruiser!

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Just a quick note to keep up the prayers for a good recovery.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Geez, you're away for a bit and see what happens! Good recovery to you and I'll pray for speedy healing. Maybe I'll see you out on a bike trail somewhere, someday!
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

VIP Member
    The idea of Jim ridding that bike brings a huge evil smile to my face. Jim, you know we, your sterling fellers at TSSA are going to give you all kinds of hell for it. All in good fun of course!
    Bring the bike to a match, I m sure we could use it as prop.

Speedy recovery buddy!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links