My Co-worker fatality shot himself cleaning his pistol

This is a discussion on My Co-worker fatality shot himself cleaning his pistol within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; I've known Charlie for 7 years but we recently made a connection because many of us company guys play Battlefield 1942 together on Friday's. He ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My Co-worker fatality shot himself cleaning his pistol

My Co-worker fatality shot himself cleaning his pistol

I've known Charlie for 7 years but we recently made a connection because many of us company guys play Battlefield 1942 together on Friday's. He expressed interest and I went to his house and set him up. We've been pretty good friends since. I had found out that he served in the Army from 1973 through 1979, stationed in many places but mostly Germany and Korea. He was an artillery guy. After spending about 3 hrs with him that day, I found the most interesting guy. Prior to that, we barely even talked about work. He was a bit grumpy at work and could be caustic. He was a totally different person at his home. We had talked about going out to the range together, but never made it happen.

A good friend of mine and co-worker, Charlie Cooke, was found dead by his wife yesterday when she came home from work. The news hasn't put up the story yet, so I can't link it.

From what I know, he took vacation yesterday. He came home from his sister's at 1:30. His wife, who I also work with, found him at 2:30pm already dead. He had been cleaning his pistols and was on his second pistol, a 9mm and shot himself below the right bottom rib with the bullet exiting the left clavicle.

The story gets weird because as I understand it, he is a left handed person but shot himself on the right side. The gun was partially disassembled and oiled but was still loaded. Unfortunately, I don't know the model of the pistol so I'm having trouble making sense out of what exactly happened. I don't know if he just got complacent or distracted.

Anyway, the coroner said that he would have died instantly from the wound and I guess, for that, we can be thankful. I'm going to miss you, Charlie and the friendship that might have been. I'm just sorry I wasted 7 years to get to know you better.
    "The smallest minority on earth is the individual. Those who deny individual rights cannot claim to be defenders of minorities." - Ayn Rand

NRA Member / Ohio Conceal Carry Instructor
    CHL Holder

2. Remove Ads

This could have been avoided if only he had checked his firearm correctly. I am sorry to hear about your loss.

Quote Originally Posted by Faitmaker View Post
    The story gets weird because as I understand it, he is a left handed person but shot himself on the right side. The gun was partially disassembled and oiled but was still loaded. Unfortunately, I don't know the model of the pistol so I'm having trouble making sense out of what exactly happened. I don't know if he just got complacent or distracted.
    So are they looking into foul play?

I don't understand
    The gun was partially disassembled and oiled but was still loaded.

VIP Member Array automatic slim's Avatar
    I'm having trouble imagining a pistol that is "partially disassembled" can discharge. Unless they mean that maybe the magazine had been removed but a round was still chambered. Any further disassembly would seem to render the gun inoperable??? My condolences, let's all be careful.
    "First gallant South Carolina nobly made the stand."
    Edge of Darkness

Certainly an avoidable accident.

Stay armed...it's always loaded...stay safe!
    The last Blood Moon Tetrad for this millennium starts in April 2014 and ends in September 2015...according to NASA.

Certified Glock Armorer
    NRA Life Member[/B]

Administrator
    "The story gets weird because as I understand it, he is a left handed person but shot himself on the right side. The gun was partially disassembled and oiled but was still loaded."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

That would not be too weird because if he was left handed - he very likely would have been holding the gun in his right hand (& over on his right side) while doing the cleaning or oiling work with his dominant left.

Who knows what the police or the media would consider "partially disassembled" - possibly he only had the grips off.

VIP Member
    If it was partially disassemblied how did it discharge.Let us know what you find out as more information is released.

Sorry for your loss. A good wake-up call about the first rule of firearms cleaning.

Joker1

Senior Member Array Free American's Avatar
    Actually, as a lefty, the gun if angled towards you would enter the right side simulate holding a gun in your left hand and instead of pulling the slide pushing the slide to the rear. A terrible accident, and my prayers to you and his family.
    They who give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. Benjamin Franklin

Previously known as "cjm5874"

VIP Member
    Sorry for your loss. And, a good lesson for all of us.

I am sorry for your loss but a very good lesson for us all. We never know a person until we invest some of our time in them. We walk around all our lives and miss good opportunities to get to know ones that walk along side of us.
    2 Chronicles 7:14 If my people, which are called by my name, shall humble themselves, and pray, and seek my face, and turn from their wicked ways; then will I hear from heaven, and will forgive their sin, and will heal their land.

Senior Member Array 2ndsupporter's Avatar
    I'm so sorry for your loss!

We should all remember the basics!

1) Always make sure the firearm is unloaded
    2)Always point the firearm in a safe direction.
    3)Always keep your finger off the trigger until you are ready to shoot
    [One Nation Under God]

Sorry for your loss.

Distinguished Member Array Arko's Avatar
    Sorry friend. Condolences to you and his family.
    "Don't Tread on Me"

Sorry to hear the loss of your friend. Kinda funny how you can perceive someone froom just tid bits here and there, but out of the work place they can be a great person and friend. One of my shooting buddies is a former coworker that just happened by chance. This is another lesson to us all to check and recheck the firearms.
    Never argue with idiots - they'll drag you down to their level then beat you with experience.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links