I don't understand suicide

This is a discussion on I don't understand suicide within the Bob & Terry's Place forums, part of the The Back Porch category; Originally Posted by highvoltage Apparently not. Unless you've suffered from depression you'll never understand how it feels to be so hopelessly lost that you can't ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: I don't understand suicide

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by highvoltage View Post
    Apparently not. Unless you've suffered from depression you'll never understand how it feels to be so hopelessly lost that you can't figure out how to go on. And depression is not just "having down days." It's having months, years where there are no "ups."

Sometimes it's something as simple as a chemical imbalance in the brain that can be controlled by medication. Other times it's far more complex than that.
    True that!

2. Remove Ads

Quote Originally Posted by gilraen View Post
    [
    Oh, my. Hmmm. The best thing I can say here is thank you for telling everyone on the other side of the issue that there is no excuse for their choice to end their pain. Such wisdom. I thank you.
    Don't try putting words in my mouth. No one except you has equated death with dignity with suicide. Except you. Seems you have some unresolved issues.
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

As mentioned it is a long term solution to a short term problem but many do not see any light at the end of the tunnel. PTSD and it's associated mental conditions cause numerous Nam and "cat box" Vets to take their lives on a regular basis. Those who see "no light" are the ones we need to look for and get to talk. Prayers sent. Do not judge those who's shoes you haven't walked in. Semper Fi
    Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us..............Medic68

Quote Originally Posted by medic68 View Post
    As mentioned it is a long term solution to a short term problem but many do not see any light at the end of the tunnel. PTSD and it's associated mental conditions cause numerous Nam and "cat box" Vets to take their lives on a regular basis. Those who see "no light" are the ones we need to look for and get to talk. Prayers sent. Do not judge those who's shoes you haven't walked in. Semper Fi
    +100
    For as the lightning comes from the east and flashes to the west, so also will the coming of the son of man be. Mathew 24:27

NRA Member

Quote Originally Posted by SelfDefense View Post
    More to the point is that often these 'anti-depressants' have no greater efficacy than placebos. This lack of performance, after the patient is hoping for relief, can lead to suicide.

And the drugs get unfairly targeted, even if they are nothing more than placebos to begin with.
    Not only that, people who are depressed, sometimes do not committ suicide because they are too apathetic. In short, they are alive only because they don't care enough to die.

Once they get on anti-depressants, they suddenly SEE what has been holding them back, and do it. People blame the meds, not exactly, it's like being so nearsighted you can't see the gun, and one day, you get glasses...

If you can put up with being analyzed while you talk, ask you local shrink about this. It's actually fascinating how the whole process works. Be ready for them to ask you if you plan to, since in their world no one talks about it unless they want to do it...
    Guns don't kill people.
    Gaping wounds in vital organs do.
    ============
    NRA Life Member
    Colt M1911A1 / H&K USP45

Quote Originally Posted by LongRider View Post
    Don't try putting words in my mouth. No one except you has equated death with dignity with suicide. Except you. Seems you have some unresolved issues.
    Your Words:
    Longrider:
    Barring mental illness there is no excuse for suicide.
    I did not say anything about death with dignity - in regards to your words.

You made a blanket statement that there is no excuse for suicide except in cases of mental illness.

You have not lived in anyone's shoes but your own. You have every right to your opinion, but your opinion came across as very arrogant and insensitive to others' pain.

Seems you have some unresolved issues.
    Maybe thou protests too much.
    "I pledge allegiance to the war banner of the united states of Totalitaria. And to the Republic, which no longer stands, several bankers, who are now god, indivisible, with Bernanke bucks and credit for all."

Senior Member Array Pure Kustom's Avatar
    Suicide: A permanent solution to a temporary problem. Sorry about your friends and their children. Hopefully support will be their for them. Prayers sent!

You made a blanket statement that there is no excuse for suicide except in cases of mental illness.
    And I stand by that if you like I will expound on that EVERYONE who commits suicide as defined by the OP is an immature selfish spine less coward.

You have not lived in anyone's shoes but your own.
    Ditto

your opinion came across as very arrogant and insensitive to others' pain.
    Granted very likely. I live a fact based life in the real world. FEELINGS ARE NOT FACTS. Therefore irrelevant. Being PC, tip toeing around folks feeling is non productive waste of time. Time and energy that could be used to deal with reality and the solution if there is one needed.

Maybe thou protests too much.
    No protest an observation vastly different things
    Abort the Obamanation not the Constitution

Those who would, deny, require permit, license, certification, or authorization for me to bear arms are as vile, dangerous & evil as those who would molest, abuse, assault, rape or murder my family

My prayers are with those that have experienced a loved one or someone you care about commit suicide. The questions and pain left behind can affect family and friends for many years after.

I can't help but wonder if the trend of perscribing anti-depressants has some bearing on suicides. I've fortunately never had the experience but after hearing from some of my friends and studies showing increased suicidal thoughts in teens on anti-depressants, it makes you wonder.

its hard to understand whats going on in someones head when there thinking of suicide. but in the long run the children suffer and family and friends.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Links